Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Losing clutch pressure - fluid still looks foamy when bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Losing clutch pressure - fluid still looks foamy when bleeding

OK I have a 98 ek hatch and my clutch pedal went to the floor so I replaced the master cylinder and bled it with a hand held vacuum pump and then by foot with a hose and bottle like the Haynes manual says.

So the car drives fine for 100 miles and the pedal goes to the floor again with no pressure.No signs of a leak this time just foamy bubbles in the reservoir.So I get another new master cylinder and a slave cylinder.Now when I bleed it with the vacuum pump I flushed like a big bottle of fluid through the lines and it still looks foamy.I can't get the pedal to get firm at all to do a foot bleed. Nothing is wrong with the clutch. I just can't get the pedal to push the slave cylinder piston.

I have done this repair several times and I'm a good bleeder with a vacuum pump ,then with your foot and a bottle and a hose.What do you guys think ? Maybe my clutch lines have an air leak in them,or the reservoir has a leak ???

I'm stumped.Maybe I will get all new lines at the junk yard and try again? Only other thing is maybe my hand held pump is breaking.It pulls fluid through the system still. Thanks,Dan
Old 03-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Help with clutch pressure

Yeah, if you don't have any brake fluid along any of the lines or line joints, I'd be suspect of the reservoir.

Maybe it is possible to have an air leak in the lines but not enough to allow fluid out...

Wonder if there is a way to pressure test the system?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have a leak at a fitting.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's hard for those fittings to get cross threaded so I'd find it hard to believe that a fitting leak wouldn't show fluid leaking. It's possible that there is a small hole in the line some where it runs close to the back/bottom of the engine bay, if you do replace it get a flexible stainless line better then gambling with a junkyard one that's seen the elements. again with the res hard to think that a leak there especially wouldn't show.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Losing clutch pressure - fluid still looks foamy when bleeding

I think it's fixed.Gotta put some miles in it tho.Put in a new rubber line and replaced all the metal lines and resevoir from the junkyard.Wierd thing is the second new master cylinder was leaking in the cab even tho it never pressurized .This was with the new lines.So then I installed the first new master cylinder that never leaked but lost presure after 100 miles and it worked with the new lines.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well Crap !! It ran ok again till 100 miles then the pedal started loosing pressure again.No fluid loss and the MC wasn't leaking.So I stopped on the highway and moved the slave cylinder and fork by hand a few pumps.Then the pressure came back and I got back on the highway.Didn't get 8 miles and then BAMMM !!!!! My lower ball joint on the passenger side broke and the axle came apart at the tranny.This motor is on it's last leg burning oil and leaking at the rear main seal.I think these things are tied together and my guess is maybe the crank shaft is crap???? I have another swap I'm gonna put in with a new tranny and Honda oem slave and master cylinders.The clutch looked ok after I took it apart, just tons of oil in there from the seal leaking.What do you guys think ???
Old 03-12-2014, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slave cylinder might be going bad!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried 3 slaves.