Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

loosing oil some how

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loosing oil some how

I have a 00 SI and recently it has been loosing oil. It's not leaking from any where, or else I would have noticed it on my driveway. My suspicion is that it's burning the oil.

I suspect it's from my stupidity. A couple of months back(6 or 7), I waited to long to change my oil, and I mean a while, like 5 or 6k. Basically, I was busy as hell around that time with all sorts of stuff that occupied my time and in return, it kept me from remembering to change the oil. So, I finally get to Jiffy Lube and they said that I only had a quarter of a quart oil in my engine and that it was black as $@#!. They had to flush my engine with some lubricant or whatever. Then they put new oil and etc and off I went.

3k miles later, I changed the oil myself(since the weather was nicer). Right before I changed it, during that week, my OIL light went on. So the weekend came, I changed it. I only had half a quart of oil when I drained it from the oil pan. From then on, I knew that something wasn't right.

1200k miles later, I checked my dip-stick and there was no oil level indicated. So I added more oil.

I took it to the Honda dealership the other day. They said what had already told them,"no leakage." I'm like no dough. They put some kind of liquid in my engine and told me to keep an eye on it and when it gets to a quarter on the dip-stick to take it back to them so they can diagnose it.

Does anybody have an clues?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loosing oil some how (d_mart)

i've actually been having the same problem. Run a compression test on the cylinders.

I just ran one on mine since i recently took a long drive (8.5k miles across the country and back) and i burned about 10 quarts of oil, yes 10. Either the valve retainers are leaking some oil into the combustion chamber, espcially when vtec is engaged since when it is engaged the head is flooded with oil or the piston rings are going bad and need to be replaced. Run a compression test first to see if you're holding the compression, then run a leak down test to further see where the oil is going. Plan on buying more oil and checking the level often. I have 144388 miles on the engine right now.

how many miles do you have on the engine?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: loosing oil some how (Sijray21)

I have somewhere in the ball park of 59,400
Old 07-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Electrician

Use some Seafoam. Check if there is a lot of smoke once you start the car after the Seafoam has been applied. If so, you have a lot of carbon/oil build up on top of your cylinders, which might tell you the problem.

Run a compression test and post your #s up. You have VERY low miles to be burning soo much.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sijray21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Run a compression test first to see if you're holding the compression, then run a leak down test to further see where the oil is going. Plan on buying more oil and checking the level often.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I can't to any other tests because the Honda service department is doing a test with it. As I previously mentioned, they put some sort of fluid or lubricant in my engine. When the level reaches about 1/4, I am supposed to take it back so they can diagnose it.

But I agree w/u. I believe that the oil is making it's way in to the combustian chamber, mixing and burning with the fuel and air. I mean like......the tip of my exhaust is black.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey- long time no see

pull out the oil dipstick and start the car, and also the oil cap...
check to see if any smoke comes out...
i have a compressio tester u can borrow
Old 07-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loosing oil some how (igo4bmx)

If the oil light comes on that demands IMMEDIATE attention. Not a week later. I surely hope that half half a quart of oil come out is an exaggeration.
You need to check your oil everytime you fill up with gas, at least.
The stuff they put in your oil at the dealership was most likely a florescent Dye, so they could see if it was leaking anywhere. Probably tell you a Quarter so it has some time to seep out if it is doing so.

Waiting to change the oil for 5-6k miles once or a few times as long as its not repeated will not cause major damage, unless it runs low on oil.

Another thing to look at is how your drive. If you race around at redline all the time you will burn oil faster.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: loosing oil some how (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey- long time no see

pull out the oil dipstick and start the car, and also the oil cap...
check to see if any smoke comes out...
i have a compressio tester u can borrow</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i'll do that when I leave work. should be a simple test.

as for the compression tester, yeah....if you don't mind. I still have your other stuff, which i have to get to sometime.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: loosing oil some how (Djaric)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Djaric &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the oil light comes on that demands IMMEDIATE attention. Not a week later. I surely hope that half half a quart of oil come out is an exaggeration.
You need to check your oil everytime you fill up with gas, at least.
The stuff they put in your oil at the dealership was most likely a florescent Dye, so they could see if it was leaking anywhere. Probably tell you a Quarter so it has some time to seep out if it is doing so.

Waiting to change the oil for 5-6k miles once or a few times as long as its not repeated will not cause major damage, unless it runs low on oil.

Another thing to look at is how your drive. If you race around at redline all the time you will burn oil faster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I know that the Warning light means that it needs special attention. That is why I took it to the dealership.

And no I wasn't joking about 1/2 quart of oil. It was practicly dry.

Also, I do not race my car from stop sign to stop sign or light to light. I've been past that stage yeeeaars ago.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats... really not alot of oil then..
Old 07-07-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: loosing oil some how (Djaric)

I know, tell me about it. I just hope it's nothing serious where I have to caugh up some serious cash to fix.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sijray21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've actually been having the same problem. Run a compression test on the cylinders.

I just ran one on mine since i recently took a long drive (8.5k miles across the country and back) and i burned about 10 quarts of oil, yes 10. Either the valve retainers are leaking some oil into the combustion chamber, espcially when vtec is engaged since when it is engaged the head is flooded with oil or the piston rings are going bad and need to be replaced. Run a compression test first to see if you're holding the compression, then run a leak down test to further see where the oil is going. Plan on buying more oil and checking the level often. I have 144388 miles on the engine right now.

how many miles do you have on the engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm baffled by what I just read.. Where to begin..

Valve retainers WILL NOT LEAK jack as they don't seal anything, they hold the valve up in place and allow it to follow the motion of the springs.

When Vtec is engagged, the head is in NO WAY "flodded" with oil. Thats plain retarded.

You don't "plan on buying more oil and checking it more often".. You plan on diagnosing the problem and CORRECTLY resolving it.

A compression test does not show if an engine "holds" compression. It shows that it has the ability to move a certain amount of air and compress it. The leakdown test is what shows how well the chamber is sealed and is more critical in this case.

If you ran the car that low on oil you can pretty much bet you did some nice damage inside. If the oil was overly black, it could indicate either that you ran the **** out of it (like you said you did) or that you have fried the rings/stem seals. Heat will take out those stem seals and the lack of lubrication will hose those rings pretty quickly also. I would also plan on some possible bearing damage as well. The "fluid" they put in your oil is dye. It can be seen with a black light and is used to trade leaks. I don't think you will see any on the outside of the engine. I recommend you address this issue very qucikly or your bill will continue to grow. Especially when you need to replace the cat when it gets clogged up with blow by, which it most likely already is.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:06 PM
lulz

my buddys 91 integra does that but he beats the crap out of it so i see how it happens to his and it also has close to 200,000 miles on it. (it was a handme down car)
Old 07-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (92'BluV-tecHatch)

You can go 5000 miles without an oil change just fine, but you can't NOT CHECK IT and run it that low!!!

Im betting on engine damage, with that low of miles its a shame

Modified by flood at 2:32 PM 7/7/2005
Old 07-07-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Re: loosing oil some how (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you ran the car that low on oil you can pretty much bet you did some nice damage inside. If the oil was overly black, it could indicate either that you ran the **** out of it (like you said you did) or that you have fried the rings/stem seals. Heat will take out those stem seals and the lack of lubrication will hose those rings pretty quickly also. I would also plan on some possible bearing damage as well. The "fluid" they put in your oil is dye. It can be seen with a black light and is used to trade leaks. I don't think you will see any on the outside of the engine. I recommend you address this issue very qucikly or your bill will continue to grow. Especially when you need to replace the cat when it gets clogged up with blow by, which it most likely already is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info. I agree, I believe that it could be something serious, that is why I am in the process of getting it fixed/resolved.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: (flood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can go 5000 miles without an oil change just fine, but you can't NOT CHECK IT and run it that low!!!

Im betting on engine damage, with that low of miles its a shame

Modified by flood at 2:32 PM 7/7/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

What are you talking about? I checked the oil level and put more oil in. That's the only fix for now until we find out what the problem is. I can't not drive it. I need the car for my daily commutes(class, work, etc.)
Old 07-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d_mart)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d_mart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What are you talking about? I checked the oil level and put more oil in. That's the only fix for now until we find out what the problem is. I can't not drive it. I need the car for my daily commutes(class, work, etc.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep that philosophy.. Pretty soon you will have NOTHING to drive because you "needed" it so bad you killed it from neglect.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:58 PM

He means you should be checking it more often.

You should check your oil every time that you get gas. Atleast once every week, or biweekly. There is no excuse for letting it get "dry" or letting it get so low that the oil light came on. You should be more careful next time.

What may have been a minor problem, may have escalated to a more serious problem. Your rings may have been slightly worn, and burnt a little bit of oil in VTEC - it happens. If you would have kept the oil level where it should be, it would have remained a minor problem. If you let the car run low on oil, without lubrication, then your rings are most likely toast, and you have caused some serious wear and tear in your engine.

Once you've gotten it fixed, try and check things out more regularly. I try and give my engine bay, tires, oil level, etc a good look over nearly every time I drive to work.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loosing oil some how (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm baffled by what I just read.. Where to begin..

Valve retainers WILL NOT LEAK jack as they don't seal anything, they hold the valve up in place and allow it to follow the motion of the springs.

When Vtec is engagged, the head is in NO WAY "flodded" with oil. Thats plain retarded.

You don't "plan on buying more oil and checking it more often".. You plan on diagnosing the problem and CORRECTLY resolving it.

A compression test does not show if an engine "holds" compression. It shows that it has the ability to move a certain amount of air and compress it. The leakdown test is what shows how well the chamber is sealed and is more critical in this case.

If you ran the car that low on oil you can pretty much bet you did some nice damage inside. If the oil was overly black, it could indicate either that you ran the **** out of it (like you said you did) or that you have fried the rings/stem seals. Heat will take out those stem seals and the lack of lubrication will hose those rings pretty quickly also. I would also plan on some possible bearing damage as well. The "fluid" they put in your oil is dye. It can be seen with a black light and is used to trade leaks. I don't think you will see any on the outside of the engine. I recommend you address this issue very qucikly or your bill will continue to grow. Especially when you need to replace the cat when it gets clogged up with blow by, which it most likely already is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for pointing that out, a couple corrections:

first - i meant the valve stem seals (not sure why i typed valve retainers - long meeting at work in the morning)

second - about the head being "flooded" - vtec requires oil pressure to engage the pin for the middle rocker arm for the high-rpm lobe of the cam shaft, pushing the valve rockers of the low-rpm lobes to allow the valves to be extended further and for a longer duration, this is driven by oil pressure, therefore it goes to the head...if you have an oil pressure guage then watch it as it goes into vtec, it drops a little, vtec is re-routing more oil to the head. (please correct me if i'm wrong, but this is how i've always understood vtec in honda b-series engines)

and the only reason i said check it often and refill it with oil when needed is if the man doesn't have the immediate time/money to fix it right away. Not everyone has a second car or a whole lot of free time, especially if you work a 9-5 and if most shops close by the time you get home. It is a "quick-fix" until he can get it properly taken care of.

Modified by Sijray21 at 7:53 PM 7/7/2005
Old 07-07-2005, 04:10 PM

do you see smoke? if you pull your dipstick and you see bubbles your head gasket might be blown. if you look down your spark plug holes(?) and see oil in the chamber going down, your spark plug rubber seals are bad.

also pull your spark plugs and see if they are black with oil on them, thats a sign of burning oil.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sijray21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

second - about the head being "flooded" - vtec requires oil pressure to engage the pin for the middle rocker arm for the high-rpm lobe of the cam shaft, pushing the valve rockers of the low-rpm lobes to allow the valves to be extended further and for a longer duration, this is driven by oil pressure, therefore it goes to the head...if you have an oil pressure guage then watch it as it goes into vtec, it drops a little, vtec is re-routing more oil to the head. (please correct me if i'm wrong, but this is how i've always understood vtec in honda b-series engines)

Modified by Sijray21 at 7:53 PM 7/7/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the vtec system is driven off oil PRESSURE, this is correct. The PRESSURE from the oil pump is used to activate the Vtec system. It DOES NOT cause a "flood" of oil to go to the head. There is no additional lubrication as a result of activating the vtec system, its simply driven off the PRESSURE. Its missleading to represent an oil consumption problem as being "increased" due to the vtec system.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loosing oil some how (medside)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by medside &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you see smoke? if you pull your dipstick and you see bubbles your head gasket might be blown. if you look down your spark plug holes(?) and see oil in the chamber going down, your spark plug rubber seals are bad.

also pull your spark plugs and see if they are black with oil on them, thats a sign of burning oil.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong. Checking the radiator and looking for milky fluid might be an indication of a blown headgasket, but I HIGHLY doubt this is his issue. Bubbles in the oil system would normally be caused by overfilling the crankcase and thus causing the crank to "whip" the oil into a bubbly like mixture. Very bad btw.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:12 AM

You guys are telling me stuff that I already now. As I mented on the first post, I know that it was my stupid mistake for letting go for so long....."I know." So please, don't rub it in...ok. If I wanted to get flamed or bashed or whatever you guys call it, I would have left that part out.

What I was asking was if anybody had any clues to what the problem may be.

Some of you have been helpful.....thanks!
Old 07-08-2005, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d_mart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What I was asking was if anybody had any clues to what the problem may be.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's most likely rings. Do a compression test. If it comes out low, put oil in the cylinder; if the reading goes up, your ring is bad.

If that's not it, you'll have to do a leakdown test to know what's going on. More info here: http://www.cspeedracing.com

Old 07-08-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Re: (AutoXer)

Thanks!

Quick Reply: loosing oil some how