Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Loosing coolant, no leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loosing coolant, no leaks?

So I'm really new (about 2 weeks) to the Honda thing, and not much of a car mechanic besides. Anyways...I have a 92 Civic dx that seems to be loosing coolant, but it's not leaking anywhere. Atleast not to the point where it would be going through the amount it seems to be. It doesn't leave puddles of fluid underneath it or anything like that. No coolant in the oil (not sure if that matters) and I've let it idle until hot and there's no leaks. I never smell any coolant while driving or anything. Any ideas as to why this is going on? I'd sure appreciate the input.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loosing coolant, no leaks?

sound like a head gasket issue. get a compression test done and u will know if the head gasket is gone or not or see if white smoke is coming out of the tailpipe. if it not leaking at all it most likely internal issue
Old 08-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crawl under the car with a flashlight and visually inspect for coolant (the green stuff is easy to spot). Inspect the entire engine/engine bay for coolant. Especially check behind the block under the intake manifold where all the coolant lines/pipes/o-rings are. Check the drain plug on front of the block. Check the timing cover weep hole, all around the timing cover and the surface and lip of the oil pan near the timing cover. Check all around the intake manifold and head to block seams for leakage. Inspect the radiator for cracks or leakage.

Pressure test the cooling system. Get a block tester (NAPA) and test the radiator for exhaust gasses.

Check under the oil cap for white or brown gunk. Check the dipstick for gunk/coolant droplets. Check the exhaust pipe while running for white smoke/coolant odor.

Remove, clean and visually inspect the coolant reservoir and connecting hose for cracks. Put clamps on the hose if there aren't any. Replace the radiator cap.

You haven't smelled coolant so I'd rule out a leaking heater core. A slow coolant leak will likely be flung off as you drive and evaporate quickly because it's hot not leaving a drip or puddle. It will however leave a sticky green slime in most cases (assuming you use the green stuff).
Old 08-05-2011, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just for background purposes, I just bought the car a few weeks ago. It needed a new distributor and fuel pump so I got that together.

After a check there's a few hoses w/o clamps (which I fixed)

I was worried about the head gasket issue. I gotta say the car runs, and drives perfect though. No white smoke, no coolant smell from the exhuast. I also gotta say it doesn't overheat or anything. Would that be the case even if the head gasket was bad?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:04 AM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start at the radiator cap. Take a look at it and get it pressure checked. A bad cap can cause a slow boil off.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your car throwing white smoke. if yes u have a head gasket going bad.. i wouldnt recommend on keep driving it.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

agree with the radiator cap, the spring rate on it might be releasing too early coolant/water back into the reservoir which overflows while you are driving the car. are there any white marks/water stains around and underneath the radiator cap
Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is the coolant gone from the reserve or actual radiator?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Radiator cap!! problem solved guys, I'd have never thought it was a **** poor radiator cap. The cap on the reserve also needed replaced along with a few clamps, and a hose or two. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by osn grind
Radiator cap!! problem solved guys, I'd have never thought it was a **** poor radiator cap. The cap on the reserve also needed replaced along with a few clamps, and a hose or two. Thanks for the help!

Was the one you took off a honda cap or crap aftermarket one?

Still watch it from time to time.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm havin the same trouble and have checked everything.it was boil over from the resivor cause the thermostat was stuck.I took it out.no more problem
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Trial User

Default Loosing coolant...Car no longer overheating...

1. When my 1998 Honda CRV overheated the insides of the radiator cap disintegrated and a 1/8 inch hole developed in the 90 degree plastic elbow attached to the Reservoir Cap allowing steam and anti-freeze to leak-out into the engine compartment. Also, I removed the thermostat and placed it in boiling water and discovered it was stuck closed.

2. I suggest that you check the Overflow Reservoir Cap and the plastic reservoir joint (90* elbow) that is inserted into the cap, which has a rubber hose attached to it, for leaks. If either of them is leaking you will lose coolant.

3. You should always replace the thermostat, the radiator cap, and possibly the reservoir overflow cap, the plastic reservoir joint (90* elbow) and the rubber hose if necessary.

4. Also, make sure the overflow reservoir cap is screwed on tight and that there is no steam or anti-freeze loss from them when engine is hot and running.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having the same problem losing coolant, but what's it doing is after checking the fluid 4 days later. It's kicking the radiator fluid in the reservoir and I'm getting a little bubbling action in the reservoir. I had replaced all the radiator hoses and the thermostat as well. I have no discoloring in the oil and radiator as well. This is driving me nuts!!!

I was reading from some of you guy's saying the the thermostat was stuck on your side, but I just installed one brand new from Honda like 5 or 6 months ago. I don't know what else to do...
Old 11-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

This is an extremely helpful thread. I also *believe* I have a losing-coolant problem, but it is not affecting engine temps, nor is it discoloured, ruling out a head gasket problem. I will clean up then monitor the areas such as around the engine block heater seal, as well as the rad cap. I don't recall if I smell boiling-off coolant when I open the hood, but it is something I will be paying attention to from now on.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ to all...BLOCK TEST! it will pick up exhaust gasses in the coolant syst.
I had the same symptoms as All above..
Cap & System was pressured tested= no result
Visual inspection = no result
Bubbles in syst/ white smoke/ & compression check = so result.
But the block test was conclusive! This was because the head gasket would only "seep" when really hot & running! Replaced the head gasket & bam..problem solved. Be advised to check block & head for strieghtness.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 89dxcivic
^ to all...BLOCK TEST! it will pick up exhaust gasses in the coolant syst.
I had the same symptoms as All above..
Cap & System was pressured tested= no result
Visual inspection = no result
Bubbles in syst/ white smoke/ & compression check = so result.
But the block test was conclusive! This was because the head gasket would only "seep" when really hot & running! Replaced the head gasket & bam..problem solved. Be advised to check block & head for strieghtness.

I'm thinking that it has to be the head gasket and the thing is that I have to pay my mechanic $400 just to do that
Old 11-02-2011, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civichb98
I'm thinking that it has to be the head gasket and the thing is that I have to pay my mechanic $400 just to do that
do it yourself. easy weekend job. maybe cost you $150 all said and done
Old 11-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^this....
The hardest part will be the timing belt..but on my d16z...I just marked the belt & and cam gear and just pinned the belt to the side. At the end I just slipped it on(was kinda a B**ch) and Done! I took the head, intake & exhaust off together..cleaned the surface, then just replace the gasket and bolt back together Its really not that hard, Im by no means a mechanic, but I comfortable doing this.