Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

loosing brake fluid-fyi

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:55 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loosing brake fluid-fyi

96 dx with apexi ws exhaust- i've noticed my brake light in my cluster comming on in stop and go traffic. when i check the m.c. the level is low so i refill. this went on for a week until i got a day off, so i got out the jack and started ckecking. i checked under hood looking at the m.c. and proportion valve and related fittings, all dry. i was suspecting one of the rear wheel cylinders (drums in the rear) so off came the wheels. all good on the drivers side. on the passenger side i noticed the hard line was wet where it came out from under the subframe. turns out that the flange that connects the mid pipe of the exhaust to the rear section had rubbed a hole in the hard line. i have a new brake line comming and will modify as needed to prevent this from happening again. this line goes all the way from the prop. valve to the rear wheels rubber flex line so i want to replace it one time. again this is a FYI, so if you have the same exhaust you may want to take a look and make sure you wont be in the same boat later down the road
Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: loosing brake fluid-fyi (nub)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nub &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">96 dx with apexi ws exhaust- i've noticed my brake light in my cluster comming on in stop and go traffic. when i check the m.c. the level is low so i refill. this went on for a week until i got a day off, so i got out the jack and started ckecking. i checked under hood looking at the m.c. and proportion valve and related fittings, all dry. i was suspecting one of the rear wheel cylinders (drums in the rear) so off came the wheels. all good on the drivers side. on the passenger side i noticed the hard line was wet where it came out from under the subframe. turns out that the flange that connects the mid pipe of the exhaust to the rear section had rubbed a hole in the hard line. i have a new brake line comming and will modify as needed to prevent this from happening again. this line goes all the way from the prop. valve to the rear wheels rubber flex line so i want to replace it one time. again this is a FYI, so if you have the same exhaust you may want to take a look and make sure you wont be in the same boat later down the road </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you plan on taking this job on yourself, i hope you are mechanically inclined. it is not a easy job. i had this same line break on me when i was changing out my prop valve during my conversion. took me 7 hours to remove the old one and install the new one without kinking or damaging it. not to mention i had to lower the gas tank 1/2 way along with the front crossmember and steering rack.

not a way i wanted to spend my saturday.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Really? I have the original WS system and I don't think said flange comes anywhere near said brakeline on my car.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nub &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">96 dx with apexi ws exhaust- i've noticed my brake light in my cluster comming on in stop and go traffic. when i check the m.c. the level is low so i refill. this went on for a week until i got a day off, so i got out the jack and started ckecking. i checked under hood looking at the m.c. and proportion valve and related fittings, all dry. i was suspecting one of the rear wheel cylinders (drums in the rear) so off came the wheels. all good on the drivers side. on the passenger side i noticed the hard line was wet where it came out from under the subframe. turns out that the flange that connects the mid pipe of the exhaust to the rear section had rubbed a hole in the hard line. i have a new brake line comming and will modify as needed to prevent this from happening again. this line goes all the way from the prop. valve to the rear wheels rubber flex line so i want to replace it one time. <FONT COLOR="red">again this is a FYI, so if you have the same exhaust you may want to take a look and make sure you wont be in the same boat later down the road </FONT> </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-06-2008, 04:13 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loosing brake fluid-fyi (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you plan on taking this job on yourself, i hope you are mechanically inclined. it is not a easy job. i had this same line break on me when i was changing out my prop valve during my conversion. took me 7 hours to remove the old one and install the new one without kinking or damaging it. not to mention i had to lower the gas tank 1/2 way along with the front crossmember and steering rack.

not a way i wanted to spend my saturday.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ive been working on cars and motorcycles since i was 9 and ill be 37 this month and have owned my honda for 10 years. nobody touches my car mechanicaly. im more than capable as far as replacing the line. like i said this was just a fyi post because a hole in your brakeline aint no and your seven hour r&r is gunna get smoked, including the brake bleed
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Really? I have the original WS system and I don't think said flange comes anywhere near said brakeline on my car.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
like i said above this is a fyi. so you say you dont "think said flange comes anywhere near" well maybe it doesnt, im just saying people may want to take a look. i have about a 1/2 inch of clearance where this happened but its probubly from going over speed bumps and over ridges that push the exaust into the brake line.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nub &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
im more than capable as far as replacing the line. like i said this was just a fyi post because a hole in your brakeline aint no and your seven hour r&r is gunna get smoked, including the brake bleed
</TD></TR></TABLE>
i'm sorry i hurt your feelings , but i've been working on cars since i was 18, going on 11 years strong. but to come out and call for no reason is wrong on your part. just because it took me 7 hours doesn't mean crap! this is not a every day part that your replace, nor is it a easy task, i was just trying to give advice like you were and this is the thanks is get!

thanks for you advice homie, but i guess your the only one in the world with a limp exhuast. here's some advice (since you've been working on cars for 28 years ) fix the exhaust first moron, or it's going to happen again!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:37 PM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loosing brake fluid-fyi (philosofy1)

hey phalic1, i mean philsofy1, have you ever heard the term reading comprihension. maybe you should take some courses at your local jr. collage because you clearly didnt comprehend what i said in my post. the only b.s. i called had to do with having a hole in your brake line. the exhaust has been on for seven years and must have been rubbing for quite a while, it will be fixed. it sounds like your the one who got your feelings hurt, or maybe you put your thong on backwards this morning and its chaffing

Modified by nub at 12:49 AM 3/8/2008