Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

loose timing belt (y7/z6 hybrid)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose timing belt (y7/z6 hybrid)

Umm... my timing belt is... well loose and I cant do anything about it. When I drives i hear it flapping around. Then when I take the cover off, one side is allways REALLY loose and the other is tight.. then i spin the crank a little and the other side gets really loose with the other side really tight.

Will this eventually break my belt? I noticed this when i had the engine out of the car.. i tightened the tensoner to the max and it wouldnt get tight enough... i had a plan to loosen the belt a little bit and move the belt 1 tooth over.. but i cant reach the tensoner bolt with the engine inside the car.

random other stuff....
heres some background. i just put a y7 block into my z6.... and from SEARCHING extensively... i found out the y7/y8/z6 timing belts all had the same amount of teeth so I just reused the timing belt on my new y7 block. some people said it is best if i swap out my z6 cam gear for the y7 cam gear cause the key is aligned slightly off... i did this and it still flapped. That was a bitch to change with no tensoner bolt =[

the reason i cant do the tensoner bolt from inside the car is cause the plastic cutout hole on the timing belt cover isnt aligned straight on the bolt so i cant get the socket in it without a hammer. so yeah. should i just unhook all the mounts and raise the car... dremel out the hole.. and then continue as planned?

AHHH the flapping noise is annoying

it doesnt seam like it is loose enough to actually slip though.. so thats good.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: loose timing belt (lazynok)

Uh....you need access to that hole. Once you have access...

-Loosen the tensioner
-set cam gear and crank to TDC
-make sure belt is taught on side facing the headlights, and then slide the belt onto the cam gear
-tighten tensioner bolt, this will make the side facing the firewall tighter

good luck