Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looping the power steering on my 99 Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tapping/Looping the steering rack hardlines on 99' Civic Si?

Originally Posted by Mr. Em1
Def less moving parts on a motor, def freeing up some hp
either way here is how it looks on my em1 rack:
Hi guys, I have a few questions regarding this diy. I have read through most, if not all of the threads about this on here and other sites. Most of the threads on this subject are older and the pictures have been deleted.

I have a 99' Civic Si and my rack looks like the one pictured above and seems to be much more difficult to loop than the EG/DC rack. Ideally, I would like to loop with a reservoir. I'm not as concered about cutting a hardline etc.. as I am about making this project as easy as possible. I also don't want to remove the lines and leave it open. I live down a dirt road and I'm afraid debris/dust will get in there. Or install a manual rack at this time.

Does the subframe have to be dropped to complete this diy? It looks like a tight fit, but I think I can at least remove the lines as it sits.

Does the loop need to be a certain length? Is the loop close enough to the exhaust to cause any issues? (i.e. melt a hole) Looking under my car it points toward the cat and may come pretty close if the loop is too long.

Those that have done this on an EM1, how did you tap the loop to run to a reservoir? When installed, the loop (pictured) will be sandwiched between the frame and subframe.

I saw the thread about realtime racing tapping one of the hardlines (but the pics are gone) Can I cap the holes where the loop is and tap in to one of the other hardlines coming out of the neck and run to a reservoir? (This may be easier for me, as they appear to be more accessible)

These issues may be EM1 specific, I'm not sure? But, any help/pics will be appreciated! Again, my goal is to loop with a reservoir and do it as easy as possible.

Thanks, Matthew

Last edited by S2k@9K; 03-31-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looping the power steering on my 99 Civic Si

I bought the devsport loop kit off of ebay and did this diy. I will answer some of my questions and I do have a few more?

1. The subframe does not need to be dropped, though it will certainly make things much easier.

2. The hose I got was about 10" or so, I'm not sure I could have squeezed one much longer in place. It's plenty far away from the exhaust.

3. There's no room to run a hose to a reservoir from the loop pictured.

Question?

1. Can I tap into one of the hardlines (pictured above) and run to a reservoir? Do I need to cut both hardlines and loop them together and run that to a reservoir? and then plug or loop the holes right there at the neck of the rack? What is the next step I need to take to alleviate some of the pressure caused by the closed loop?

Thanks, Matthew
Old 03-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

There was a high pressure line that came from the reservoir, and a low pressure line that came back to the reservoir. I'm sure either which way you do it, it'll be fine. When I did it, I stuck in a t-bracket where you have the rubber lines looped. That acted like my breather and it did fine. Why'd you take out the power steering?
Old 03-29-2016, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I removed the high/low pressure line from the pump and reservoir and looped it where they connected to the rack. (Just like the posted picture) I don't want to leave it open, because I live a mile down a dirt road and there's just not enough room to T the loop and run a hose to a breather.

IIRC, people have also T'd one of the hardlines that come off the body of the rack (the two hardlines pictured above) or cut and looped them together and T'd to a reservoir and I would like some further info from anyone who has done this part?

It's not super hard to turn, but, I can see how a reservoir would relieve some pressure and help out on Auto-X days!

I took it out to try something new really, This is not my daily and I'm not selling it!

Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-30-2016, 05:23 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

You could rig up some sort of breather with a filter, one of those cheapo ones at pep boys for a PCV attachment. I'm sure that would be great on your set up. You could set up the T and place the filter on top of the bracket, that way you'd have a breather without the worry of anything getting into the lines.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I just don't think there's enough room for that! Plus, I would have to take the loop back off and pull the steering rack to attempt it.

The method I'm talking about is in this thread by Dropspeed: How to: power steering to manual - Honda-Tech

The rack is looped as I did, where the lines to the pump/reservoir were and then one of the hardlines is tapped and ran to a reservoir. The idea being that the pressure is relieved directly from the rack, instead of having to force fluid/air through a series of openings before it gets to the loop!

The problem is there are no active pictures to show what is going on and I believe it was done on an Integra, which the lines run different than my Civic.

So, What I'm looking for is info on doing this part? I believe I have enough room to loop or T the hardlines (pictured above), without having to further remove anything, I just need to know the best method of doing this.

Can I T into one of the hardlines pictured above, if so , which one? Can I cut both lines and loop them with a T, as they come from the rack?

Thanks, Matthew
Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k@9K

The method I'm talking about is in this thread by Dropspeed: How to: power steering to manual - Honda-Tech
Post the link.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I thought I did. Here it is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...18353311,d.eWE
Old 03-31-2016, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I've attached some diagrams to assist.

The first is a diagram of a 2000 Integra steering rack! The second is of my Civic rack!

I'm assuming per the Dropspeed thread, hardline #19 (on the integra diagram) was the one that was Tee'd into and ran to a reservoir? (which would be #20 on the civic rack diagram?)

Does it really matter which one is tee'd?

Can I accomplish the same goal with looping the hardlines together and capping the holes at the neck of the rack?

Thanks, Matthew
Attached Images