Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looped vs. Gutted Power Steering Rack

Old 01-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looped vs. Gutted Power Steering Rack

Not sure where to post this... since there's not a dedicated thread for steering...

My manual steering rack in my EG is totally shot. The tie rod ends are both bad, one inner is bad, and I'm pretty certain the end bushing is shot too. Makes terrible noises/vibrations when driving. It's basically not drivable. But I have a power rack/sub frame from a DC integra that I'm wanting to install. I've bought new inner and outer tie rods for it, and I don't plan on installing a power steering system. My question is which setup is better?
I've searched for days on this...

1. Looped rack w/breather at loop
2. Looped rack w/breather in hard line
3. Or a gutted and lubed rack with no fluid whatsoever. (i.e. no seals and piston... and whatever else removed) <-- Also any write-ups on this aside from the miata one would be great.

After hearing of racks messing up months to years down the road, I'd like to stay away from the looping method. Plus it's less clutter in the engine bay. The last one sounds the most maintenance free to me, but there's so little info out there about it. It also seems much less prone to problems. Any valid factual information would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looped vs. Gutted Power Steering Rack

I can't remember what the problem is, but looping the PS rack is bad without actually turning it into a manual rack. The write up for that Miata one is the proper way to convert a PS rack into a manual one, just that it requires some disassembly. It won't give you the problems that a looped PS rack has. I'm sure it has something to do with the PS fluid not getting circulated and possibly corroding things. IIRC the Miata write-up involves greasing it with wheel bearing grease or something of the like after removing all the PS fluid.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate the response. I'm no English teacher, but I also appreciate your ability to cohesively present that response in a way that makes sense. No offense to anyone, but reading some of these forums for too long can give me a damn headache. I'm sure you guys know what I mean. Anyway, back to business...

The Miata write up is good. I was just wondering if somebody out there had a good write up on the eg/dc racks, because the Miata rack is quite different. I might just have to look at a schematic and hope for the best.

Last edited by RustyE.G.; 01-08-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 AM

Definitely avoid looping stuff, I ended up having to swap to a real OEM rebuilt Civic CX (manual/non-power) rack after blowing up my "modified" power steering rack. Gave a good opportunity to replace outer tie rods, too! I basically have a brand new steering assembly, except the column.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:26 AM

What about buying a manual rack form the junkyard or from an online OEM honda parts site. Thats what I did just for complete piece of mind.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd probably go for the "buy a manual rack for a salvage yard" method. You could probably get a manual rack for less than $100, especially if you take them your junked one...
Old 01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanted the tighter ratio. My sub frame also has a hole cut in the bottom because the welds broke on one of the internal nuts. Not a huge deal, but I find it kinda jank. So I thought it would be a good chance to get rid of that.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So any bad thoughts on a "gutted" rack, aside from a little extra weight? It seems like it would function basically the same as a full manual rack. I would think it couldn't fail in the same way a power one, or a looped power one could.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RustyE.G.
I wanted the tighter ratio. My sub frame also has a hole cut in the bottom because the welds broke on one of the internal nuts. Not a huge deal, but I find it kinda jank. So I thought it would be a good chance to get rid of that.

97 civic DX hatch .. with 00 Si Front subframe.... that **** shouldnt happen but it does haha i had a hole notched too to reach the internal nut

My new car 98 EX has a looped power steering rack.. it sucks i feel like the steering ratio is horrible compared to my 97 DX rack but that one wasnt too great to begin with either.. my Looped rack also feels like the front wheels just wander places its really strange..
Old 01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go to u pull it and get a manual rack... lol i got mine for $10 and the are lighter as well...
Old 01-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Steering rack ratios shouldn't have an affect on your wheels wandering. I'd check your tie rod ends both inside and out.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP! So anymore opinions on a gutted rack?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a gsr rack and there is an awesome thread if you search on H-T and also on Honda Tuning about doing it to a Type R.

Type R steering rack = GSR steering rack Same rack same ratios.

All the rest have shitty LTL ratios and you will enjoy driving on a power rack converted to manual via loop method.

It is smoother than a manual and a little tougher than a power.

Info is out there you just didn't look hard enough yet.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The rack I already have, that I'm wanting to put in, is from an LS. IIRC it's got the same ratios as a GSR/Type R rack.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:03 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyE.G.
My manual steering rack in my EG is totally shot. The tie rod ends are both bad, one inner is bad, and I'm pretty certain the end bushing is shot too. Makes terrible noises/vibrations when driving.
There isn't much to go bad on a manual steering rack. You pretty much listed everything that can normally fail, and all of those parts are easy to replace. The rack end bushing can be done with the rack still in the car, but is made easier to do by dropping the rack.

I'd just fix the manual rack.