Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looking for swap help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Looking for swap help/advice

I have a stock 1992 Civic dx. It has a d15b7 with an auto tranny. I am going to swap it with a d15b vtec-e engine (I guess its a d16z1?) I stole for 500 bucks, it has a 5 speed on it though. Here are a few questions: Do I need a different wiring harness/cluster? Do I need to get different axles? Do I need both motor and tranny mounts replaced? What kind of ECU do I need and does that need different wires? I have never done a swap, so any advice would be helpful.

Also... In my 1995 Civic dx I am leaking coolent somewhere? I replaced the radiator already checked every line and cant find anything anywhere. Could this be the water pump? I cant tell you where it is leaking right now cause it is broken down. But what should I be looking for other then the pump?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking for swap help/advice

If your water pump is bad it will leak from a weep hole in the pump. you will see drippage on the drivers side at the front of the engine. from underneath it will appear as though its coming from the crank pulley. If you are doing the swap then dont worry about replacing it...

As for the swap... If it is in fact a VTEC motor, you will need the ECU that came with that motor, as your ECU has no idea WTF VTEC is... you will also need the wiring harness that came with that motor as well. Your axles should still be fine, D series works on all D series... Im not sure about the automatic trans mounts working on a manual... You will have to keep searching for that one.