Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

looking to LEAN out my motor a tad :omg:

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to LEAN out my motor a tad :omg:

As the thread title states, I'm looking to lean out my car just a tad to help my fuel mileage. The car is a 95 dx coupe with a b16a2 swap (chipped p72) that is fairly stock, but my fuel consumption is bad imo. I'm getting 20-23mpg city staying out of it (under 3500), and getting 16-18 highway. I'm throwing a code 1, and the o2 sensor has been changed out too many times for it to be the sole cause. My next thought was to try and get more air into the motor to force the ecu to lean out, but no luck there yet. This past weekend, I was talking to some old school car guys and one suggested that I drill a small hole behind my MAP sensor on the side closest to my IM, but I cant see this doing much, besides causing more problems. My next thought is a tune, but I'm sure there's an alternative before I spend $300 on tuning a 99% stock motor.

cliffs:
motor running rich, need to lean it out a tad
Old 08-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: looking to LEAN out my motor a tad :omg:

what o2 sensor are you using? i had used some cheap advanced one replaced it 4 times in a year.. i got some denso or some **** been good since... but i think you should really narrow done the problem instead of trying 2 lean out...
Old 08-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Why are you using a chipped P72?

If possible, try using a stock P30 for a while and see what happens.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you are saying the ecu is chipped. take it to a shop and see if the programmer that did the chip tuned the ecu to use more gas. if you have an upgraded fuel system then you could expect to use more gas but i dont think THAT STOCK you shouldnt be wasting so much. take it to a honda shop and tell them to take a look at your tune
Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by miguel329
what o2 sensor are you using? i had used some cheap advanced one replaced it 4 times in a year.. i got some denso or some **** been good since... but i think you should really narrow done the problem instead of trying 2 lean out...
im currently running a bosch o2 sensor, but ive been through 2 oem ones that were fine before, but started throwing code 41s
Originally Posted by mcvtec
Why are you using a chipped P72?

If possible, try using a stock P30 for a while and see what happens.
i'm using the p72 because i traded my p06 and $50 for it, p28s in my area were running $80 plus another $60 to get chipped, i traded my stock ecu to a local tuner and he gave me the p72 that has a modified b16a3 map. the only modification to the map is a decreased rev limit (7800). i would love to get my hands on one, but that's easier said than done in my area

Originally Posted by burnykawizzle
well you are saying the ecu is chipped. take it to a shop and see if the programmer that did the chip tuned the ecu to use more gas. if you have an upgraded fuel system then you could expect to use more gas but i dont think THAT STOCK you shouldnt be wasting so much. take it to a honda shop and tell them to take a look at your tune
will look into this
Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ECU is the key here, I replaced my entire ECU about 6 months ago and get the best gas mileage I've ever had. The cars runs better than I can ever remember it running.

I don't know exactly what happened to cause my old ECU to die on me but after throwing parts at the problem the solution was to replace it with a working ECU.

Sounds like you need a good tune as well, remove all the clutter from your car, if no one uses the back seat , remove it, if you never use the spare and jack take it out.

My 93 Sol got horrible gas mileage before the ECU swap, the old window sticker says 40mpg highway, I get pretty close to that now with granny throttle driving.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The thought of a bad ecu has crossed my mind before, so I may give that a shot before going much further. My plugs/wires are about 2 months old, my dizzy only has 8-10k on it, and I cant remove my rear seats, because often I need to pick up/drop off my niece and nephew. I also cant see removing the ~20lbs worth of spare tire and jack because the day I remove it, I'll get a flat with my luck.