Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looking for info on adjusting steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on adjusting steering rack

I've got some freeplay in the steering and am hoping to take some of the slack out by adjusting the screw on the rack.
Let me start out by saying that I have the Helms manual for my sol. I also searched the topic of steering rack adjustment and found a few things, but nothing that isn't in the manual.
It is my understanding that this is something that one doesn't want to screw up. The manual makes it sound like this is a very delicate operation and I'm a bit cautious about trying it.
What I'm looking for is the advice and opinions of people who have actually adjusted their racks. Is it as touchy as it sounds? Does it take out the slack, or is that a sign that the rack needs to be replaced? Thank.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the first thing you need to do is check out the front end. any bad parts must be replaced before going any further. if everything checks out ok then go ahead and adjust the lash. it is very delicate as not enough lash between the gears will cause a lack of oil between them causing them to burn up and you will need a new rack. just crank the car (if you have PS, dont worry about it if not) turn the wheel back and forth a few times and note how hard it is to turn the wheel. adjust a little at a time, no more than a 1/4 of a turn at a time, get back in and see if it got harder to turn, if it did back it off a little. do that until the freeplay is where you want it, and the wheel isnt harder to turn and you will be fine.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Looking for info on adjusting steering rack

im in the same boat but i got in an accident with my car and i fixed it but the steering got messed up and needs to be either adjusted or fixed but i think it just needs to be adjusted. my car drives straight i even got an alignment for it. just the steering wheel isn't straight.