Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

looking for a how to " intall aftermarket tach in a dx cluster"

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a how to " intall aftermarket tach in a dx cluster"

I saw a thread on here a long time ago. Someone had taken a DX gauge cluster and modified it to accept a aftermarket tach in the space where the large temprature gauge was. It was flush with the cluster and it looked nice.

Anyone know where I can fine that thread or pics of the cluster?

Derek
Old 10-21-2006, 04:22 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: looking for a how to " intall aftermarket tach in a dx cluster" (dpine)

****** gross.

Just buy an EX cluster .....
Old 10-21-2006, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: looking for a how to " intall aftermarket tach in a dx cluster" (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just buy an EX cluster .....</TD></TR></TABLE>
+1
Old 10-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: looking for a how to " intall aftermarket tach in a dx cluster" (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">****** gross.

Just buy an EX cluster .....</TD></TR></TABLE>
I didn't ask for your opinion, I asked for pictures of it done to a factory cluster with some instructions. Factory tachs are way off and I wanted to try something different.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: looking for a how to " intall aftermarket tach in a dx cluster" (dpine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't ask for your opinion,</TD></TR></TABLE>

:scoff: Welcome to Honda-Tech.

People are always quick to bash on someone for something that THEY want to do to THEIR car. But not alot of people want to give genuine help. I'm an '06, and I see that already.

You will get used to it. if you haven't already. I'd like to see what it looks like myself. Maybe pretty clean if the guy knew what he was doing.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:25 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm genuinely intrigued as to why someone would want to do this. It boggles my mind as to why you would destroy one perfectly good cluster instead of selling it and getting another.

There is no reason as to why you need an aftermarket tachometer that doesn't match your stock one sticking out of your stock one.

If someone can give me a decent answer, then I'm all for it.

And yes, people are always quick to bash when it doesn't make a lick of sense. If someone came on and asked what the best glue for sticking giant ****** to a car was, I'd still laugh. Some things are just ludacris.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">****** gross.

Just buy an EX cluster .....</TD></TR></TABLE>

gross yes...but might as well get a em1/ctr cluster...
Old 10-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm genuinely intrigued as to why someone would want to do this. It boggles my mind as to why you would destroy one perfectly good cluster instead of selling it and getting another.

There is no reason as to why you need an aftermarket tachometer that doesn't match your stock one sticking out of your stock one.

And yes, people are always quick to bash when it doesn't make a lick of sense. If someone came on and asked what the best glue for sticking giant ****** to a car was, I'd still laugh. Some things are just ludacris.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You want a reason. My brothers vx cluster went out a few weeks ago and I have tried two ex clusters from junkyards. They are way off (one was 2500 rpms off) So I said expletive it I can get a DX cluster for $25 + $30-$40 for an ok tach. The setup I saw on here looked clean. So I said why not try it.

The bottom line is its my money and Ill do what I want with it. And let me stress this one more time. I was hoping by making this thread in hopes that i could get some info from the perosn that made the thread originally. My tital doesn't say "opinions needed on putting a aftermarket tach in a factory cluster" but this is honda-tech and opinions are like ********....

Old 10-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dpine)

And I am far from a <U>ricer</U> if thats what your thinking.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:28 PM

Default Re: (dpine)

Since there is no uniform bolt patern to an aftermaket tach (most are designed around their own mounting bracket) it's hard for one person to say "oh you need to do x y and z to make it fit" when the only thing we can say for sure is "remove the temp gauge which is three screws in the back and then go from there". But in the end you will still need (least I'd like to still know if my car is having coolent issues) a temp sensor and since the only way to have both the temp and the tach you'd end up with an EX cluster thus the comment "just get an ex cluster".
If you are really hell bent on doing this it'd be better on an EX cluster only because it already has the mini temp and gas gauge as well as it has the power supply bolts/contacts for the tach already on the board. I would say try running a hard line from the tach to the dist to see if it's just the factory wiring that's causing the lag, why cut up a cluster just to make the tach more accurate when it could be just a simple wire problem.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CarbonizedDX)

found what I was looking for. Would look a little better in a black face. Make your own opinion.

And yes I know I would be tearing up a cluster however I have the broken vx cluster and would be buying a DX cluster. Honestly if a junk yard is selling DX clusters for $25 then I dont see that on the top of the list of "gotta have" Honda parts to slap on your civic or integra. So really its not like I am going to a junk yard and and getting the preferred EX gauge cluster and tearing it all to ****.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm genuinely intrigued as to why someone would want to do this. It boggles my mind as to why you would destroy one perfectly good cluster instead of selling it and getting another.

And yes, people are always quick to bash when it doesn't make a lick of sense. If someone came on and asked what the best glue for sticking giant ****** to a car was, I'd still laugh. Some things are just ludacris.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't know people actually bought DX clusters O.o.

Well I did, I just didn't know they were in high demand .

I'm with them, get an EX cluster, or a 99/00 Si cluster, those are hot ****.

I'd go with an aftermarket tach though because I'm cheap, a cluster will run you 100 bux from a SI/EX, regardless of what car it's for, an aftermarket tach will run you anywhere from 40 - 100 bux, cheaper.

for either a 92-98 EX cluster, or a 99-00 Si.

Both are swappable plug 'n play I do believe.