Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

looking at a del sol... reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a del sol... reliable?

hey all

i'm in need a of a good comuter car.. and as i was searching auto trader i completely forgot about delsols... i mean a 1.5-1.6l 4cyl can't take THAT much gas.. i'm asking cuz my commute to work is 50 miles everyday lol

are they reliable?
what parts should i replace right away? (what goes out the quickest?)
whats the usual gas milage?
what should i look at? (rust spots, abuse give aways etc etc)
what should i be expecting to pay for a good one? (i found a 93 for around 3-4k)

and all and all... would it be a reliable commuter car for that long of a trip everyday?

anyone know of a good one aorund the portland area drop me a line! :D
Old 10-04-2004, 05:13 AM
Electrician

The BEST thing you can get that gets GREAT mileage and a little pep in it's step is a 1992-1995 Honda Civic VX Hatchback. It's a 1.5 16-valve VTEC-E motor (D15Z1). REALLY long gears (lower RPMs on highway). Those generally get about 40-45 MPG.

Another one is the 1992-1995 Honda Civic CX. 1.5 8-valve motor. REALLY long gears (same transmission as the VX). I believe those carry 90 HP and get about the same MPG due to the relatively low weight.

The Del Sol's are reliable, but A LOT heavier. So, the motor will be working harder to get the pig up to speed, which, wastes more gas. Usually the 1.5 (D15B7) does about 30-38 MPG.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: looking at a del sol... reliable? (Kameirocco)

I bought mines at 114,000 miles, and still runs flawless. Only problem i had to fix was a small problem in the dizzy. Buy one that's in good condition, give it a tune up, it's periodical oil changes and it won't give you problems.

Oh yes and i forgot. The seals from the t-top might need to get replaced or fixed somehow. Water may
leak from raining.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: looking at a del sol... reliable? (CRXDelSol!)

please keep this thread away from haters. "it's heavy", "it's girly" NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THAT. ALOT heavier is kinda exagerating BTW. del sol is just as reliable as any other honda. there are three different models to look for. the S, being the slowest; the SI, it has the same engine as the CIVIC hatch SI; and the dohc VTEC model which can spank on any civic hatch coming stock so don't try to compare stock del sols with stock hatches.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:26 AM

i had one and liked it alot
Old 10-04-2004, 05:34 AM
Electrician

Default Re: looking at a del sol... reliable? (Advan06)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Advan06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">please keep this thread away from haters. "it's heavy", "it's girly" NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THAT. ALOT heavier is kinda exagerating BTW. del sol is just as reliable as any other honda. there are three different models to look for. the S, being the slowest; the SI, it has the same engine as the CIVIC hatch SI; and the dohc VTEC model which can spank on any civic hatch coming stock so don't try to compare stock del sols with stock hatches.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok there Sparky, he's looking for a commuter car not a Civic-spanking car. He was looking for good gas mileage, so, being a heavier car means you are going to get less MPG for all the extra weight you are carrying.

Do this, load 500 lbs. in your trunk and let me know if your gas mileage drops.

This doesn't have to come down to who's faster, it comes down to which is a better commuter car for MPG to save $$ in the long run.

We're not all m4d tYt3 stR33t rAc3rS y0!
Old 10-04-2004, 05:48 AM

Default Re: looking at a del sol... reliable? (Dimi)

the del sol is like 200 pounds heavier than a hatch... its a ******* whale don't get it!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 05:49 AM

Default Re: looking at a del sol... reliable? (Dimi)

k i do admit... i like going fast :D... 130 in a corrado was fun :D (god i miss that car ) but in all actuallity i'd love a fast reliable good gas milage car...

so what it comes down to... i wouldn't mind something quick... but also with good gas milage and reliability....
do the VTEC models get up'd in price? whats the price range in thoes?

i do wanna save money... the gas on the commute is gonna kill me!! lol i should be starting a job down in salem so i don't gotta commute! (thank god) than if i do get the delsol, there will be a GSR swap if all that goes well!
but the 10 mile difference wouldn't kill me overly much as it'd only ad about .50-1.00 per trip on a 100 mile roundabout (why i make this commute...i coldn't tell ya lol )
Old 10-04-2004, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao, well it is heavier but meh, you will still get fantastic gas mileage.

It's a great car. Mine just had it's 200k mile birthday (ugh) and all I've had to replace is valve cover gasket, really just one of the valve seals was leakin oil to the plug. I'm gonna change headgasket just for the heck of it. Just do regular maintenence it should run fantastic, and if you don't beat crap outta it you will get good gas mileage, and you can look good in the summer too!
Old 10-04-2004, 05:56 AM

the vtec models are nice.. My friend has one I drive a 99 Si and it has the same motor and tranny but its a little bit heavier and I get about 30mpg consistantly (with hittin the vtec quite a bit). I saw one in auto trader a while back that they wanted like 8k for and it has around 88k miles i think... If you want a decently quick car with good looks and yada yada I'd suggest a 99-00 Si because paying 8k for a vehicle that old is just expensive when you can pay a few grand more and get a Si.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:58 AM

Default Re: looking at a del sol... reliable? (SiKid86)

this is the one that's 4k,
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by autotrader &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1993 HONDA DEL SOL S Coupe, 4cyl 1.5 liter, 5 speed, AC, PS, PW, tilt wheel, AM/FM stereo, rear spoiler, alloy wheels, $3995. . </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's the slow model, but i'm not looking for overall kick *** speed. just something to get me going incase i feel the need
Old 10-04-2004, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That should be good The b18 swap can come later when you commute is more gas friendly.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: looking at a del sol... reliable? (Advan06)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Advan06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and the dohc VTEC model which can spank on any civic hatch coming stock so don't try to compare stock del sols with stock hatches.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yah....the DOHC Del Sol models are pretty quick....when you can find them for sale that is.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most Honda cars are reliable commuters. But why a Del Sol ? In my opinion the Civic hatchbacks and coupes would be a better choice as a commuter car, as they can hold more cargo n' passengers (great for carpooling) and have more options within their trim levels, ie. DX, CX, VX Si, EX, etc. The Del Sol is for the person that likes the sporty roadster feel but can't afford or doesn't like S2000s, MR2s, Miatas, Z3/Z4s, MGBs, Fiats, Porsches etc...
Old 10-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DelSolSiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok there Sparky, he's looking for a commuter car not a Civic-spanking car. He was looking for good gas mileage, so, being a heavier car means you are going to get less MPG for all the extra weight you are carrying.

Do this, load 500 lbs. in your trunk and let me know if your gas mileage drops.

This doesn't have to come down to who's faster, it comes down to which is a better commuter car for MPG to save $$ in the long run.

We're not all m4d tYt3 stR33t rAc3rS y0! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dimi, hush your mouth. i get 350 per tank. i have a 95 del sol si. seeing as though a hatch is A MILLION times lighter, we still get same gas mileage...that's strange isnt it. you haters should learn a little, might get you somewhere in life.(no im not talking abuot knowing del sols, im talking about getting your **** straight before you give people the wrong impression)

Also, has anyone ever heard an owner of a del sol complain about the weight? i dont think so. again, hush your mouth and have a good day
Old 10-07-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: (Advan06)

I easily get 30 mph in my "whale". Plus, it's a convertable so you can really enjoy those sunny days durring your commute! There's nothing like driving around with the top off... They might not have a back seat but they have a pretty spacious trunk. Everyone and their grandma has a civic... Be a little different and get a Sol!

BTW....My targa top has NEVER LEAKED!!
Old 10-07-2004, 03:22 PM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (Reiketsukan)

here are my experiences with del sols since i've owned one for the past 2 years.

<U>PROS</U>
-removeable targa top
-just about all 94-01 integra and 92-95 civic engine and suspension parts can be swapped over
-its a little different from your avg. lowered civic
-pretty big trunk
-fun to drive
-power rear window
-rear storage compartments
-came with a B16 in the 94-97 models

<U>CONS</U>
-93 and 94 models had problems with the seals so it leaks a little water in the rain
-a base model del sol weighs 2295 lbs while a base model eg civic weighs 2088 lbs
-chassis flexes a little bit due to the targa top and especially when you have it off
-it's only a 2 seater (in your case it maybe be a PRO to have only 2 seats)
-very little room for weigh reduction

ok this is all i can think of for now.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:37 PM

Default Re: (Reiketsukan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Reiketsukan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I easily get 30 mph in my "whale"</TD></TR></TABLE>

jesus only 30Mph! it really must be heavy

i would consider what has already been stated regarding the cargo space in a delsol. well, there isnt any. ive thought about getting a delsol myself but the cargo space always bring me back to reality, i need space period/ if thats not an issue i say go for it. its a honda
Old 10-07-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Re: (1CiViC1)

Car in photo looks like mine.
I got a 95 Vetch Delsol.
Jdm B16a GSR LSD Hydro Tranny.
IT weight was 2500lbs-
Currently and getting lower.
Cleanest one around and getting faster and faster..
I like it. Squeeks a little but it a targa.. NO leaks ether..
Old 10-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

[QUOTE=Dimi]
Another one is the 1992-1995 Honda Civic CX. 1.5 8-valve motor. REALLY long gears (same transmission as the VX). I believe those carry 90 HP and get about the same MPG due to the relatively low weight.

QUOTE]

i knew someone who had one of these. the car had a little over 350,000 miles and he said he had never had any problems with the car, just replacing the starter and the tires really.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this sucks...
Old 10-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whoops CPU is tripping... sorry
Old 10-07-2004, 04:13 PM

Default Re: (CRX_1.8T)

My wife and I bought our 1997 Si Del Sol brand new, and 275,000 miles later it still looks and runs great.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Electrician

Default Re: (Advan06)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Advan06 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dimi, hush your mouth. i get 350 per tank. i have a 95 del sol si. seeing as though a hatch is A MILLION times lighter, we still get same gas mileage...that's strange isnt it. you haters should learn a little, might get you somewhere in life.(no im not talking abuot knowing del sols, im talking about getting your **** straight before you give people the wrong impression)

Also, has anyone ever heard an owner of a del sol complain about the weight? i dont think so. again, hush your mouth and have a good day </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh God. I didn't know I had to know about gas mileage and weight of a vehicle to get somewhere in life. Such drama queens. All we are talking about is a commuter vehicle, NOT Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRX_1.8T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX_1.8T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i knew someone who had one of these. the car had a little over 350,000 miles and he said he had never had any problems with the car, just replacing the starter and the tires really.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you talking about Dung? hahaha, i know someone who is around there too.

Quick Reply: looking at a del sol... reliable?