Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Looking for cheap econo car, what should I look for in high mileage Civic or other Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for cheap econo car, what should I look for in high mileage Civic or other Honda?

Hi folks. I already own a 06 Pilot which we love...gonna be getting a longer commute starting tomorrow and want to save on gas so I'm looking at lower mileage Civics and Corolla's and DAMN they keep their value too much.

So if I'm going to look for a high mileage Civic in the 100k range, what should I look for to make sure I find something that has a good shot at giving me another 100k miles?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Looking for cheap econo car, what should I look for in high mileage Civic or other Honda? (dbstr

I was in the same boat a month ago. I just bought a '98 LX 4 door. Here's my advice.
Look for maintenance items done: timing belt, cv boots/joints, front rotors/pads. Don't feel afraid to look the car over, look in all the door jams, look at all the body seams, look for over spray, bring a magnet and try it along the body in suspicious areas to look for "no magnetism = bondo". Drive it hard on the test drive. Slam brakes, rev up to redline in 2nd and 3 rd gear on a freeway on ramp. Check tire wear. Check engine bay for overall cleanliness. Buy from personal owner over used dealer. I learn a lot everytime I buy a used car. This is my 2nd civic.
Any specific questions, I'd be happy to help.
Chris
chrishecht@hotmail.com
Old 07-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for cheap econo car, what should I look for in high mileage Civic or other Honda? (dbstr

No reason to push the car to its limits on a test drive. If you break something, you buy the car.

Check for maintenance records and do a CARFAX report on the VIN # supplied
Old 07-15-2007, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have bought several used cars for the last 5 years and had very good success so far. I suggest you look for a Civic between 1996-2000 model, you can get one for less than $5k, coz they last for quite a while especially if you hit the right one. The things you should for are :

1.Check the engine oil make sure it is not black or smell like burnt rubber.
2.Check the tranmission fluid for color, if it is color brown or black(I would stay away from it) you might want to take the car to your mechanic and have it inspected thoroughly. Pink or bright red color are good indication of well maintained transmission.
3.Check the CV's for tears and leaks.(they will cost $150 a piece)
4.Check for rust. Make sure check wheel wells, underbody chassis, trunk(esp. where the spare tires is located), and the engine compartment(minor rust is okay).
5. Most importantly you should get a carfax report. You might want to know if the car has been in an accident.

Civics are very easy to maintain and if you take care of them they will last you forever.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:07 PM

i have a 96 civic 4 door lx with 205000 + on it and it runs like a champ, I feel like it could run forever. i bought that car for like $1000 with some body damage . I did tune up, brake, timing belt, oil change every 3000 miles. Even though the car is automatic, I still get at least 35+ mpg (recently get almost 40 mpg with ac is on low ). I travel alot and this car was never give me any problem love this car. You should look around for a good deal, take your time when you buy a used car.