Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

looking to buy an EK hatch with a swap, what should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy an EK hatch with a swap, what should I look out for?

I've looked at a few EK's in the last month, one being supercharged (Jackson Racing) and one of the others being boosted. what should I look for in one that isn't naturally aspirated. And what are some warning signs of serious problems. I know that whoever had them before was obviously driving them pretty hard, but i want something that I won't be CONSTANTLY fixing. help...
Old 06-15-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: looking to buy an EK hatch with a swap, what should I look out for? (EKstasy)

Try to judge the owner of the car. Is he/she mature? Have they been the owner for a while? Do they keep up on the car? Next, Look for the obvious under the hood. Any visible oil leaks? How clean is the engine bay? Any odd noises while engine is running? Is there any shady wiring? Then, you test drive the car. Does is pull strong? Are there any odd noises? Does the car smoke? Are there any odd smells? Beyond this, there is not much more you can really find out about the car unless it is compression and leak down tested. I suggest having it looked at by a mechanic if anything seems out of the ordinary.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:21 AM

let me give you some good advice...

it all depends on your budget ).. but otherwise id say you get your self a nice bone stock clean EK, drop a GSR (b18c1) in it and turbo charge the ****. so lets see.. about 3-4 grand for an EK ... another 1800-2000 grand for the motor and another 2500 brand spanking new turbo, we are talking about mid 11's quarter mile car, thats spanking fast! but what i would do is just buy an ek and drop a gsr in it.. it will still be very fast maybe later on i would drop a turbo in it.. but either way stuff like that aint gonna come cheap.. and just like you said whoever has a car already built like that .. they prolly did drive it PRETTY hard! .. hope that helps.. but the only lil problem you would have is finding someone to put that GSR (b18c1) motor in for you .. or if you can do it yourself that would be a +
Old 06-15-2006, 10:23 AM

-- B20 EJ6's -- advice is good too.. if you dont want to go with my idea.. go with his.. all of those things you do before buying a car like that.. either way if you dont know nuthin about mechanics.. id take it to the mechanic to check out.. a TRUST WORTHY MECHANCI!
Old 06-15-2006, 10:28 AM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: (turbo y0)

Don't buy a swapped car, PERIOD! Find something stock and do the work yourself. Any car that's turbo'd/ super charged is going to have been beaten to ****.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

look at me, i bought a clean title 95 civic hatchback with a GSR ref(CA legal) for 4400. Still under 100k on the motor and pulls hella strong
Old 06-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (sinanovicha)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinanovicha &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">let me give you some good advice...

it all depends on your budget ).. but otherwise id say you get your self a nice bone stock clean EK, drop a GSR (b18c1) in it and turbo charge the ****. so lets see.. about 3-4 grand for an EK ... another 1800-2000 grand for the motor and another 2500 brand spanking new turbo, we are talking about mid 11's quarter mile car, thats spanking fast! but what i would do is just buy an ek and drop a gsr in it.. it will still be very fast maybe later on i would drop a turbo in it.. but either way stuff like that aint gonna come cheap.. and just like you said whoever has a car already built like that .. they prolly did drive it PRETTY hard! .. hope that helps.. but the only lil problem you would have is finding someone to put that GSR (b18c1) motor in for you .. or if you can do it yourself that would be a + </TD></TR></TABLE>

And where do we get these 1800-2000 dollar GSR's w/ low miles?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:35 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

theres one for $2100 good motor.. 45-65 k.. its a jdm but much better then a usdm gsr motor .. so it might be a lil tougher to put it in your EK... not sure how it works with those... go to http://www.nwstreetracing.com and post a thread in classifieds for a b18c1 complete swap! or post a thread here asking for a b18c1 complete swap with low miles.. theres people that will give em away for $2000 for sure..
Old 06-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Re: (sinanovicha)

Its hard to find a modified car that is actually in good condition, you have to wonder-- why would someone spend so much money on it and then sell it? On engine swaps see if they got it dont at a local shop, and then go check out thier place. Get reciepts for as much as you can, you dont want to buy stolen ****. On turbo cars check the whole engine bay for oil leaks, coolant leaks, bad wiring and hoses... all that crap that is aftermarket. You could just buy my car- $7000 97 EK hatch, 320whp LS/vtec turbo... if youre interested pm me. I dont want to sell it at all, I just need money cause Im starting school in August.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt buy any car that is highly modified. Patience is the key cause if your patient then there well be a good car with a good swap forsale that is a reasonable price. I got my car cause the owner was desperate for a family car, so i got a good deal.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Re: (db8gsr_teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't buy a swapped car, PERIOD! Find something stock and do the work yourself. Any car that's turbo'd/ super charged is going to have been beaten to ****. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and if it wasn't swapped......you would be buying a beat single cam......
if it came with a dual cam swap...and it was beat...you could just use the money you'd be using for a swap and fix the swap...my advice means 0% tho.....

i would take the B20 dudes advice...just judge the seller and take it into your own opinion...i just sold my swapped EK...and yes i drove it...but no i didn't have it in Vtec every second of the day..i daily drove it to work and around town...i kept it clean and very nice...and i got good money for it b/c of that....
Old 06-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Stupid EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stupid EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and if it wasn't swapped......you would be buying a beat single cam......
if it came with a dual cam swap...and it was beat...you could just use the money you'd be using for a swap and fix the swap...my advice means 0% tho.....

i would take the B20 dudes advice...just judge the seller and take it into your own opinion...i just sold my swapped EK...and yes i drove it...but no i didn't have it in Vtec every second of the day..i daily drove it to work and around town...i kept it clean and very nice...and i got good money for it b/c of that....</TD></TR></TABLE>
werd

The owner i bought my hatch off was very mature for that he look like he was in his mid 20's. He told me everything about the car and even gave me all paper works to show what he bought for the car. He also let me drove it hard but i couldnt get it to its potential at that time but he offer that he show its potential to me. since then, i was in love with my car. The car never gave me a problem at all and no oil leak and all that crap.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:52 PM

yeah but you gota be smart and know how to buy!
Old 06-15-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: (Stupid EK)

Yea, im not in a huge hurry to make an impulse decision and regret it in a year. But i also can't afford to buy a car that will break down in two months. My last experience with talking to a guy selling his EK, was that i knew more about his car then he did. Oh, and turbocoop where are you located?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Re: (EKstasy)

Im all the way on the other coast, sorry. Im sure you can get it shipped though... here it is: