Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lookin' to upgrade my Sol

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookin' to upgrade my Sol

I've been searching for a decent Del Sol in my area for about 4 years. I was dead set on getting a Vtec but nothing worth while came along, so I settled for the S model.

1996 S, Silver, 5 speed -.-

Bought it with 90k miles on it in June, was kept very clearn and well maintained by the previous owner, even came with seat covers (which I removed due to various cuts). All maintance was done at the dealership, timing belt and water pump been replaced all that good stuff. The previous owner bumped something with the right front of the car, and they had to replace a head light with minor front end damage.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Di...01314

http://picasaweb.google.com/Di...82306

http://picasaweb.google.com/Di...37810
(little dirty inside, haven't cleaned in a few days)

http://picasaweb.google.com/Di...74306
(little gimp under the hood - for now)

http://picasaweb.google.com/Di...59106
right front head light, crack in paint

So here I am, couple months later with 4 grand saved up to put into the car.

First thing I want to do is install a stock spoiler onto it, I've aquired one through a friend from a 93 del sol, but its black. Going to get it painted and installed this weekend, as well as get my front end patched up, and put a new clutch into it (still orginal - probably wait a week or two for this untill I decide what I'm going to do as far as performance.)

Passenger speaker is blown, just found out a few days ago (go figure) so I'm going to put a new system it in this up comming week as well.

And I really wan't to replace my exaust tip, very stock, very lame looking, about the size of a FAT sharpie with a dent in the end of it, I at least want to get something crome but its not a priority as of now. Hub caps kind of get to me as well, but again not a priority. But if you have ideas, post it.

Other then that I'm still skeptical on, I can't decide if I want to do a complete swap on the engine or just tune up the one I have.

I love the gas milage I'm getting and I'm afraid if I put anything bigger in it I will lose a decent amount of MPG.

I do drive this daily, and I love the stock look of the car, so I don't think I'm going to alot of cosmetic changes, I'm not going for ricer, but I'm not going for all out power eaither, again its a car I drive daily to and from work, so its gotta be practical. But the low HP is starting to get to me ><

Anyways, thoughts? Ideas? Input? I want good looks, and decent performance - nothing over the top and within my budget of $4,000, just a nice little upgrade that makes it feel like I have more then 105 HP ><

>Sorry for the picture links, don't have an account with another host, and those links arn't setup to use the [IMG] tag.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't waste your 20 bucks on a muffler tip.

just swap it out, you will be happy in the long run.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Re: (Jakester9500)

Yeah, but what to swap it out for, is the real question
Old 08-10-2007, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A B18b would be perfect for you. It's got a decent amount of power and torque, it cheap, and it's got the longest b-series tranny so it's actually pretty good on gas.

It is also very good in the future when/if you decide you want to trade a bit of economy for performance. You can either throw on a VTEC head (like the b16a or b18c) or turbo charge it (since the b18b has a really strong stock block and can easily achieve 250whp). Or you can get the vtec head and turbo charge it

If you want the best all-around motor, get the b18b.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (andoxviii)

i wouldnt worry about gas mileage, i get 27-29 mpg on my built 2.0 liter in a heavy EM1...
Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cmasonrun)

for 4k, you could piece together your own swap and have plenty left over.

400 bucks for a low mileage USDM b18b

600-700 for a b16 tranny or 750+ for a GSR

then a few hundred bucks more for an ecu, axles, intermediate shaft, shifter linkage, driver side engine mount, front tranny dampner mount, rear mount bracket, starter and alternater if the b18b doesn't come with one.

I'd go ahead and replace the timing belt, gaskets, all other belts, plugs while your at it.

Also check your front dampner mounts, they are probably due to be replaced aswell

You should even have enough for a descent header and a full cat back exhaust. Greddy and Apex make a few that will allow you to keep the sound down. Maybe a CAI to compliment the exhaust.

It will have twice the torque of you D series and with a short ratio tranny you'll make the most out of it.

I loved a STK LS in my sol with the b16 tranny
Old 08-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lookin' to upgrade my Sol (Xathine)

The B18b sounds like a good swap for you, fairly cheap and will give you a nice boost in HP. What I would do first however, is upgrade your brakes and suspension...rear disk swap...larger MC...del Sol VTEC or GSR front rotors, bigger front sway bar, add a rear sway bar...all with OEM honda parts...then go for the aftermarket shocks and springs and maybe wheels and tires you would still probably have enough for the B18b
Old 08-10-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lookin' to upgrade my Sol (Xathine)

if i were u .i would do what above people said..
do a swap. b series
Old 08-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you wanna keep your mpg, keep your sohc motor, and just add some bolts ons. your car will feel stronger(doesn't mean it is thought) and you'll maybe lose very little mpg w/ the bolt ons. But if it was me i would put the motor that was meant for that car, a b16a3, if it was me
Old 08-10-2007, 08:20 AM

Default Re: (rpared01)

I think I'll try out a few mods, see how I like it, would like to wait a few months to do a sawp read up a bit more on it, only car I have to get to and from work, so if I expletive it up - I'm boned.

What would you guys suggest throwing into it, that wouldn't be a total waste of money if:

A.) I like how it handles and keep it like it is with a few mods here and there

-or-

B.) I still think its a pansey girl engine and decide to swap it down the road.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: (Xathine)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xathine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I'll try out a few mods, see how I like it, would like to wait a few months to do a sawp read up a bit more on it, only car I have to get to and from work, so if I expletive it up - I'm boned.

What would you guys suggest throwing into it, that wouldn't be a total waste of money if:

A.) I like how it handles and keep it like it is with a few mods here and there

-or-

B.) I still think its a pansey girl engine and decide to swap it down the road.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You may not have a problem with how it handles now, but suspension upgrades will make that car a million times better. Get a bigger front sway, rear sway, stiffer springs (stock suspension from a del sol VTEC would fit your needs great), and replace the worn out suspension bushings. Those are all things that will improve the car and will not be wasted if you swap down the road.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: (fdavie)

-- Think I'm going to hold off the swap for now, maybe a few months down the raod.

Rather not pull out the one thing that makes my car go untill I find something good enough to swap it for.

So I'm left with the problem of where else to start? Not that savy with cars, but I know a little.

As I said in the OP, gonna put the rear spoiler on, fix head light, fix front bumber, get a new cluth in it ( and change rear break pads - started whineing tonight)

and the standard rims / tires yada yada

But where to start on the performace? I'd like to start with something small, easily obtainable parts, easy install / setup or what have you - so I can learn more as I go along, I'd rather it be something me and my uncle could do at our place, - he works on cars for a living so i'd assume he has some experice taking **** apart and putting it togeather again

So where do you guys recomend I start? Prefer something that I won't just replace in a few months when I do a swap

What about a full exaust system? Good place to start? Something that'd last awile?

And its pretty much not worth my time to invenst in what I have under my hood now?

Modified by Xathine at 9:09 PM 8/10/2007