Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lookin at buying an EK coupe, modified, what is a good price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookin at buying an EK coupe, modified, what is a good price?

im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but we'll see. I am looking at a new car, and I have found one that I like. Its a 98' EX coupe with 116k on it. Timing belt and water pump changed at 100k (reciepts), no mechanical problems, only exterior problem is some small paint chips on the front lip where the urethane bent... understandable. After the timing belt/waterpump, the car was upgraded with a Jackson racing S/C, headers, full catback, tein suspension, rotora big brake kit, intake, small interior upgrades, full urethane lip kit, 17's, and a sound system (all installed this year). Car has a check engine light that comes on, but mechanic told him that it was a bad sensor, (O2 from the exhaust?). What would a car like this go for? any price ranges? Please let me know. thanks!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my wife paid 8500 for herstock 00 ex coupe....as for all of that i dunno
Old 10-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lookin at buying an EK coupe, modified, what is a good price? (primetimedx)

Why don't you look up the kbb value and go from there...well i'm bored at work so hold on...

kbb says $5000. Now add $1000 more for aftermarket parts and there you go...$6000.

What's the guy asking, like $8000 or so???
Old 10-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mysql)

Well I hear sometimes that mods bring the value of a car down... especially things like body kits because its personal preference. The car is being offered to me for 7k.. does that sound like a reasonable price? Clean title, clean paint/int... just the check engine light.. .Im gonna test drive it and all before I commit, but does the price sound reasonable??
Old 10-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lookin at buying an EK coupe, modified, what is a good price? (primetimedx)

Bump lookin at possibly buy this weekend so any input from the seasoned HT members or anyone familiar with going rates would be great. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd try to talk him down to like 6,500 if the car is real clean.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:24 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: Lookin at buying an EK coupe, modified, what is a good price? (pat92si)

i would never buy a modded car, you don't know the quality of the work. As it is it won't pass inspection, check engine light?.. his mech says he thinks it's the o2 sensor.. it takes less than a minute to get the code(sounds like incompatence)

if you wanna get into honda's i wouldn't start with something already slapped togther.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lookin at buying an EK coupe, modified, what is a good price? (GarageAlchemist)

Well see I am going to look at it tomorrow... I am going to check what code it throws myself. Let me clarify that I am not buying it blind... I know what to look for when I go see it tomorrow... I am more trying to probe to see if its a reasonable price.. like what they normally sell for. I know enough about cars in general... Toyotas and hondas to know what to look for before I buy it... and I won't buy it, not even a second thought if I don't think its solid and clean. This isn't my first time buying a car... just my first time buying a honda.. I have a CRX but it was free... so I will be looking to get rid of that as I need something a bit bigger. I have bought a modded car before as well and haven't had any problems with it. But thanks for lookin out Alchemist.

If I could get him to give it to me for 6k-6.5k would that be reasonable? The guys actually a buddy of mine and I know the mechanic that did the work... and he is a good guy, but if it is an O2 sensor... which I know is an easy fix.. would the car be worth it? Thanks!

All your feedback =
Old 10-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take the car to Honda and pay $50 or so for a complete inspection. If its all good then assess the value from there. If there's something wrong then knock off a couple hundred. I wouldn't pay more than $6500.