Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lookie at what I just got

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookie at what I just got

Alright, I just bought a B18C engine for my car... I have a 98 Honda Civic DX Automatic. Ya ya laugh now but wait till its done. I'm swapping in the Built B18C with the GSR Transmission.
Also, I'm throwing on the CTR Gauge cluster.
My question is How hard is this swap?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Lookie at what I just got (98CivB18C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98CivB18C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My question is How hard is this swap?</TD></TR></TABLE>

How good are you at working on cars and getting things to work? The swap can be your worst nightmare or a peice of cake. Everything depends on your skill level.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Lookie at what I just got (JDM-EJ1)

i hope you plan on the manual swp if you use the GSR trans

look around there ar archives somewhere in here about swapping to manual ad swapping engines use the serch and go through the archives at the top of our forum
Old 04-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first two are info on b series swaps, second two are auto to manual conversion. gl

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=856396

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=550976

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1316692

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=550221
Old 04-02-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Lookie at what I just got (95DxSi-R2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">congratulation's, sorry i don't have any cookies
dumb expletive</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow
Instead of being an ignorant ***** why don't you welcome and help out new H-T members. Honestly if your that much of an ******* stop posting in threads.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">congratulation's, sorry i don't have any cookies
dumb ***</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, you really should stay off this website. This is by far one of the worst posts I've EVER seen in this forum.

1. You didn't help him AT ALL.
2. Your grammar/English is horrible.
3. You DIRECTLY insulted him for NO REASON.

I'm reporting your post, and I really hope you lose points.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 PM

dumb ***</TD></TR></TABLE>

What good are you? I don't understand people like you. Complete morons! Anyways...good luck with your swap. Should be sick. Let us know when it's done.

Also. Ignore people like this idiot!

Old 04-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lookie at what I just got (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How good are you at working on cars and getting things to work? The swap can be your worst nightmare or a peice of cake. Everything depends on your skill level.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep...i'd suggest you take it a shop or have friends who has experience help you out...this could be a 1 day job (if your lucky) or a 2-3 week job maybe even longer. There is always parts you need to order to get it running and parts you need to replace...etc etc...do alot of research first then start the project bro. Also since the motor is still out i'd replace the timing belt and things along that line just so you wont have to hassle with maintence in the future.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lookie at what I just got (bmoua)

well Ive done this swap one Time and it was and wasnt easy at all but maybe people can give you more insight. 1st i hope you have the pedal assembly from a manul car 2nd you need the clutch slave cylinder with all the lines to the trans. Now on your year i dont know if this applys you need an automatic to manul transmission mount so you can properly mont a manul trans in the automatic a very important thing and do not cut corners here. Its the wiring you need to wire the vtec and 1 problem we had was the excess of automatic wires from the auto trans 1 thing we had to rig was the wire that releases the key from the ignition this is not a problem in a car that already comes stick but autos have that annoying neutral safety switch with ignition lock so if you dont do it right the key wont come out the igniton after you turn it off your easiest possible soulution and i could be wrong is find a car that mathes similar in your year thats stick and just swap out the entire harness hopefully a ex or even better an Si other than that a dremel to cut out the gear shift match the exhast up and your good to go Good luck i hope if im wrong in anything someone will guide you better than i did and yes my friends car we got it to work with the setup he had with a gsr motor into a 97 auto dx hatch the easy part was getting it in its the details that will get you
Old 04-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Lookie at what I just got (slvrcvc93)

Sell your car for a manual one with a good body. Mileage doesnt matter, you're putting a motor into it anyway.

Oh, and sorry to bust you're bubble, but unless the car you're swapping it into is bare, it will still be slow. Faster, but still slow. Don't get any big ideas that it's going to impress us with it's mad fast-ness.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lookie at what I just got (ek forever guy)

what exactly is built about your gsr?
Old 04-03-2007, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm buying a head and boreing out the cylinders .25mm - this will lower the compression so i can run high boost. I am looking at skunk2 stage2 turbo camshafts or the skunk2 stage3 cams. I'm going to a 70mm throttle body as I go through and build it up

The reason I want to do this swap is because my car is deff. worth it. It's a 98 with 181k miles on the stock non-vtec motor. I drove the 99 Civic Si and was impressed. Then I was lucky enough to drive a GSR.

I dont want to do it the easy way and have to buy another EK with the manual pedal assembly. I want to do a straight conversion. On my path to building this up I'll post pics and let you all know how its going and any problems that I have. Right now I just bought a GSR head. I'm looking to invest at least 5k in high performance parts.

Modified by 98CivB18C at 6:54 AM 4/3/2007

Modified by 98CivB18C at 7:31 AM 4/3/2007
Old 04-03-2007, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ya, did i say it was a JDM B18C?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:03 AM

Default Re: (98CivB18C)

wow, waaay too much work man, its not as easy 1,2,3 as u think. sure swapping a motor for another motor isnt a big job, but doing an auto to manual conversion is a pain in the ***. I recently converted a 93 coupeto stick with a d15b vtec and it was not a fun chore. you will run into lotsa problems when u try to put in the pedal and the rest of the assy. have fun runnin the slave cyl haha
Old 04-03-2007, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95hatchcivic)

I wouldn't say it's a hard thing to do, either engine swap or auto-5spd swap, but I find it a little unnerving that the OP is buying all these parts and then posting a question as to how difficult is this to do? I went through and bought all my parts but only after a year or research (and saving ) and I pretty much did the exact same thing he's planning on doing.

Plus, 5k in performance parts? That won't go as far as you think in terms of horsepower. The labor for any sort of internals, porting, install, etc, will run you at least a third of that right off the bat. Not to mention the minimum amount of tuning you'll need for those cams you're thinking about, just to get it to idle semi-normally.

edit: btw, it's boring out the cylinders .25 over, not porting.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Blk00EJ8)

And you're 5spd swap over will never feel the same as a car that came like that..

JDM Schmay-dm. Doesn't make a lickof difference.

And there's no such thing as "Investing" in a car. I guess you could get technical about it, but when it comes down to it's all fiscal loss.

It's kind of like, "investing" in a nice steak dinner. You don't get that $$$ back.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this post is kind of gay.

then there was this

"I'm reporting your post, and I really hope you lose points. "

that pushed it over the edge....</TD></TR></TABLE>

In all honesty, I dont think anyone cares that you think the post is gay. If it's soooo stupid then why did you waste your time to tell us how gay it was? And no one is reporting this post, he reported something that someone said which i dont think is over the edge. Why do you even bother?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And you're 5spd swap over will never feel the same as a car that came like that..

JDM Schmay-dm. Doesn't make a lickof difference.

And there's no such thing as "Investing" in a car. I guess you could get technical about it, but when it comes down to it's all fiscal loss.

It's kind of like, "investing" in a nice steak dinner. You don't get that $$$ back.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well Mr. Technical. I dont think the investing thing really matters to him. It's kind of pointless to say. Plus not all investments get you your money back.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: (Civic*B16A3*Eg)

I really wish people would say some tings that actually matter.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 AM

One more thing. There are several definitions to investment. One being a devoting, using, or giving of time, talent, emotional energy, etc., as for a purpose or to achieve something.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98CivB18C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm buying a head and boreing out the cylinders .25mm - this will lower the compression so i can run high boost. I am looking at skunk2 stage2 turbo camshafts or the skunk2 stage3 cams. I'm going to a 70mm throttle body as I go through and build it up
</TD></TR></TABLE>

First off you do know that the cylinders are in the block right? Secondly just boring out the cylinder will not give you lower compression, you need low compression pistons. So now that your going to buy aftermarket piston you need rods. Replace all the bearings while your at. Also the water, oil, pump and timing belt. Now to the head just dropping those cams in is a bad idea. Make sure you upgrade the valvetrain. Im sure already know this, but I ll say it anyway, make sure you have enough pistons to vavle clearance because those cams are very aggresive. Get a mild port job on the head or all those expensive parts wont do ****. Also a 70mm thorttle body wont do anything with a stock intake manifold, make sure you get a diffrent one, like victor x manifold or something similar to that design. Honestly is sound like your way over your head. You will also need to change your ecu and you are gonna need a tunable ecu so go with something like a chipped P28 with crome. It really sounds like your over your head, but as long as you know that then thats alright. Good luck with the build, dont take any shortcuts and it will probally cost you more that 5 grand.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: (smileycvc)

Old 04-03-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Re: (smileycvc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

First off you do know that the cylinders are in the block right? Secondly just boring out the cylinder will not give you lower compression, you need low compression pistons. So now that your going to buy aftermarket piston you need rods. Replace all the bearings while your at. Also the water, oil, pump and timing belt. Now to the head just dropping those cams in is a bad idea. Make sure you upgrade the valvetrain. Im sure already know this, but I ll say it anyway, make sure you have enough pistons to vavle clearance because those cams are very aggresive. Get a mild port job on the head or all those expensive parts wont do ****. Also a 70mm thorttle body wont do anything with a stock intake manifold, make sure you get a diffrent one, like victor x manifold or something similar to that design. Honestly is sound like your way over your head. You will also need to change your ecu and you are gonna need a tunable ecu so go with something like a chipped P28 with crome. It really sounds like your over your head, but as long as you know that then thats alright. Good luck with the build, dont take any shortcuts and it will probally cost you more that 5 grand. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Couldn't agree with you more on that one. There is lots of work ahead of you man. And yes it is gonna cost well over 5k. Good luck though.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Well i have a 1995 EX and it started as an AUTO car also, I put a b18b1-GSR Tranny and it honestly wasnt that hard, just depends on how hard you want to work
Old 04-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, you guys are really into technical stuff. OFC i am going to put on a new intake manifold for the 70mm throttle body, I know about the Low Compression Pistons. Everyone that posts questions on forums arent always idiots... If you want me to make a parts list that I am using I'd be more then happy to. I dont mean to slam u guys but it seems like your throwing around your knowlege and trying to be better then everyone else.

Thank you for the information and dont try and act like I dont know what I'm talking about. I'm building the motor up how I want it

Quick Reply: Lookie at what I just got