Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

longer geared tranny better for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default longer geared tranny better for boost?

well i have a z6 with a dx tranny and since i have pretty low miles on the engine (80k) ive decided i wanna boost it. ive searched and havent really gotten a clear answer. would it be better if i left the dx tranny on since ill be in boost longer or should i get another ex tranny?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: longer geared tranny better for boost? (egcoupe)

no. shorter gearing=quicker acceleration. PERIOD

If you have traction problems:
a)get new tires
b)get new clutch
c)get lsd
d)learn to drive
Old 10-21-2004, 08:16 AM

Default Re: longer geared tranny better for boost? (WAFFLES)

k thanks
Old 10-21-2004, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: longer geared tranny better for boost? (egcoupe)

longer gear tranny is for top end while shorter gear tranny are for acceleration.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Electrician

But why would you want to even go past 130mph? You shouldn't even be TRYING to top out with a LONG-geared DX transmission. Go with a D16Z6 or D16Y8 transmission. Be happier in the long run.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:09 AM

Default Re: (Dimi)

The Z6 tranny tops out at 152 mph according to mistabone. You technically want wider gears, not longer gears, for turbo applications because of the wider powerband. Wider gears means that the RPM drop between gears is more, which will make more use of the wider powerband. The Z6 tranny is plenty wide enoguh for turbo applications.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WAFFLES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no. shorter gearing=quicker acceleration. PERIOD
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's true as far as just the tranny goes. But you want longer gear ratios for boost. When it's time to switch gears on a short gear ratio tranny, your turbine wouldn't even have had a long enough time to spool for much boost. The longer gear ratios will help give the turbine a long enough time to spool up for it's optimum boost level.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WAFFLES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no. shorter gearing=quicker acceleration. PERIOD

If you have traction problems:
a)get new tires
b)get new clutch
c)get lsd
d)learn to drive</TD></TR></TABLE>

Perfect answer

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM JNKI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's true as far as just the tranny goes. But you want longer gear ratios for boost. When it's time to switch gears on a short gear ratio tranny, your turbine wouldn't even have had a long enough time to spool for much boost. The longer gear ratios will help give the turbine a long enough time to spool up for it's optimum boost level.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh? Not exactly. My b16 tranny is far more superior for boost than an ls tranny. You will hit full boost pressure no matter what tranny you have. Maybe I'm not readin you correctly
Old 10-21-2004, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: longer geared tranny better for boost? (JDMH22HATCH)

Pick a turbo or a shift point to allow yourself to land in full boost.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=16
Old 10-21-2004, 01:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WAFFLES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pick a turbo or a shift point to allow yourself to land in full boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let's go with a B-series for instance. I've seen so many B16 trannys wind up so quick that you never even get a chance to land in full boost. And if an LS tranny were in place, it's obvious that it would have had that chance. And I wouldn't recommend just setting your shift point higher without a built engine for your setup.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: longer geared tranny better for boost? (JDM JNKI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM JNKI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Let's go with a B-series for instance. I've seen so many B16 trannys wind up so quick that you never even get a chance to land in full boost. And if an LS tranny were in place, it's obvious that it would have had that chance. And I wouldn't recommend just setting your shift point higher without a built engine for your setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The turbo setups I have road in spooled up to full boost by roughly 4000rpm. If you are not above that then I don't know what to say.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:56 PM

i ran both DX and EX trans in my single cam vtec motor. between shifts, the revs are too far apart and after a shift, puts your rpm below full boost (at that rpm would normally be)

orignally, i got another tranny cause my first one died, they put in a DX on accident, but i was free to choose to keep it or get the oringal type taht i had.

i went back to the orignal EX spec tranny.

as far as people thinking about "time per gear to boost" if your gears are shorter and you start at 5krpm after a shift, your lag will feel shorter and your car will go just as fast or faster while being less dependent on boost.