Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem

Hi, as the title says i have been reading these forums for quite sometime but this is the first time i have ever decided to post something of my own. First off I have a 95 civic hatch with a JDM D15B. (sorry about the JDM thing but I dont want people to think that I only have 70 horse.. I have 130 and I am damn proud of it ) I also have a 99 civic front end conversion. I have always loved the back end of the eg's but the front end looks so cheap and the front ends of the ek's look so nice but the back end looks like a mini van so I just put the two together. I will post pictures later but for now I have a question for any of you who would be so kind as to help. I have been noticing alot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust any time i get past 3000 rpms and I was running a little on the hot side. I also was idleing at about 1700 rpms. I checked my radiator only to find it to be very low so I did a coolant flush today and refilled the radiator. Then I took it out for a test drive and everything cleared up. The car pulled very strong and didn't somke till I hit v-tec and even through v-tec there was hardly any smoke. I drove the car back home and parked it while i had dinner. I came out to the car a couple hours later to find the car wont start. It would crank but it wont fire up. I checked to see if i had fuel and the fuel pump is turning on right away I checked for spark by pulling the spark plug closest to the drivers side and i have spark at all 4 cylinders. The one thing that I did find disturbing is the fact that oil was covering the middle two plugs both on the top of the plug as well as the ti pof the plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem (ender214)

Long post poster

So you're saying you put an eg rear, on an ek hatch?

White smoke could certainly be coolant. Look for the archived "smoke" thread.

I think if you search for "black smoke"

It will pull up a thread about differen't symptoms resolutions to car smoking.
My search feature isn't working at the moment. Server issue maybe.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem (ek forever guy)

no... I put a ek front on an eg. I think its one of the best looking things to do to an eg.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a bad head gasket will cause it to blow white smoke. as for not starting im not sure though...
Old 05-20-2007, 09:00 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem (ender214)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ender214 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no... I put a ek front on an eg. I think its one of the best looking things to do to an eg.</TD></TR></TABLE>

eg civic front end on a del sol is the best thing you can do to an eg
Old 05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crispy93)

I kinda figured it had to do with the head gasket but i'm more worried about getting it started right now then I will fix whatever is making it smoke. I also checked the oil and I dont have any coolant in the oil and the oil is clean. thanks for the help thus far.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem (nicko360)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nicko360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eg civic front end on a del sol is the best thing you can do to an eg</TD></TR></TABLE>

making it fast is the best thing to do to an EG for the win
Old 05-20-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem (highrev1987)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

making it fast is the best thing to do to an EG for the win</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-20-2007, 11:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ender214 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi, as the title says i have been reading these forums for quite sometime but this is the first time i have ever decided to post something of my own. First off I have a 95 civic hatch with a JDM D15B. (sorry about the JDM thing but I dont want people to think that I only have 70 horse.. I have 130 and I am damn proud of it ) I also have a 99 civic front end conversion. I have always loved the back end of the eg's but the front end looks so cheap and the front ends of the ek's look so nice but the back end looks like a mini van so I just put the two together. I will post pictures later but for now I have a question for any of you who would be so kind as to help. I have been noticing alot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust any time i get past 3000 rpms and I was running a little on the hot side. I also was idleing at about 1700 rpms. I checked my radiator only to find it to be very low so I did a coolant flush today and refilled the radiator. Then I took it out for a test drive and everything cleared up. The car pulled very strong and didn't somke till I hit v-tec and even through v-tec there was hardly any smoke. I drove the car back home and parked it while i had dinner. I came out to the car a couple hours later to find the car wont start. It would crank but it wont fire up. I checked to see if i had fuel and the fuel pump is turning on right away I checked for spark by pulling the spark plug closest to the drivers side and i have spark at all 4 cylinders. The one thing that I did find disturbing is the fact that oil was covering the middle two plugs both on the top of the plug as well as the ti pof the plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i reposted this for you ek forever guy

if you overheat your car by not having coolant in it you break stuff ? for example: sensors, heads, rings, bearings, gaskets, cylinder walls, and super sweet red paint on valve covers. you probably have most of those in tact but a warped head could be the cause of oil leaking into your spark plug tubes/ combustion chamber go ahead and
it probably wont start becuase it fried a sensor in protest of your neglegence
Old 05-21-2007, 05:31 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem (deepbluerocket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deepbluerocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i reposted this for you ek forever guy
</TD></TR></TABLE>

?

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1631871

Finally got my search engine working. This was the thread I was loking for.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem (ek forever guy)

Thanks for the link. It sounds like the rings from what he said in that link. looks like its time to do a swap. Anybody selling a D15b
Old 05-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Foreign Symbols

But you said you lost coolant. Rings would not be a factor for that.

Either way, just FYI. If your cars smoking and loosing a little oil do to worn rings, you can still drive it a LONG time like that as long as you keep it full of oil. As well as you can re-ring the motor in the car. Just a few options so ya know.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem (juevi)

head gasket is taken "****" on joo
Old 05-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Drain your oil, or rather, pull off your valvecover. Is it milky or not? If so headgasket. If not it can still be the headgasket,but a list of others as well.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My oil is clean. One other thing is that when I go to crank the motor it sounds like it is going to start but then there is a loud pop coming out of the intake. It almost sounds like the timing is off and it is back firing out of the intake. I know that the timing belt isnt broken because i am still getting spark at the plugs. Is it possible that the belt may have jumped a tooth and my timing is off. Thank you again for all the help.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:35 PM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem (highrev1987)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

making it fast is the best thing to do to an EG for the win</TD></TR></TABLE>

X3
Old 05-21-2007, 10:55 PM
NHB
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ender214 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The one thing that I did find disturbing is the fact that oil was covering the middle two plugs both on the top of the plug as well as the ti pof the plug.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're going to be pulling stuff apart to check on that headgasket, do the spark plug tube seal gaskets. As far as I know that's the most common cause of oil on the top of your spark plugs; it's seeping in because the gaskets are all poopy.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
a bad head gasket will cause it to blow white smoke. as for not starting im not sure though... </TD></TR></TABLE>
a head gasket will cause a car to not start because of the coolant in the cylinders screwing with the spark. if you turn it over a bunch of times they dry out enough tu eventually start
Old 05-22-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem (NHBsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NHBsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you're going to be pulling stuff apart to check on that headgasket, do the spark plug tube seal gaskets. As far as I know that's the most common cause of oil on the top of your spark plugs; it's seeping in because the gaskets are all poopy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

He said "poopy" hehehe
Old 05-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long time reader, First time poster... I have a big Problem (civic stud)

Ok so here is an update for anyone that cares. I changed the spark plugs, I changed the oil and the filter and cleaned my injectors and just like magic the car runs like a champ. I dont know how to explain it but it works now so yeah.... thank god for my honda.