Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

long, but would like opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long, but would like opinions

This is gonna sound n00b to some, but I have been looking for any modifiable, hopefully raceable 92-00 Civic for a few months now. My family has three Hondas, including my oh-fo' RSX-S (upgraded from a Ford Windstar, so it is justifiable) but they can't be touched because, as my 'rents say, "I need a reliable car for college."
My predicament is that all the Civics I've looked at, hatches, coupes and fo'-do's have been too expensive for their condition (I guess Hondas are real desirable here in Central Florida) or salvage title, or some other thing that my dad sees unfit. MY father is knowledgeable about cars having been a cart, autox and high level amateur road racer.
My intention for the car would be to swap it with a b18c (possibly type-r because it's in the budget) and I-H-E, maybe build it a little to make a NA monster until I got competent enough for FI ( turbo ). My spiel to my parents has been that I will learn car mechanics and how to race.
And, since the search for a Civic has proven unsucessful thus far, dad recently used the Honda knowledge that I huave amassed and imparted on him to come up with a pretty creative idea. Here is the question for ya'll... Would it be practical to buy an '01-up civic for 10k or more (possible a brand new one Civic) and swap it with a K20A? I did some quick math and with all retail prices came to somewhere around 18k, maybe less. Other questions for you all are, would there be a market for a new Civic motor, running gear, interior, etc and how much could I expect for it? If someone with '01-up Civic K20 swap info/experience has any additional comments, please feel free to comment/bash me. Thanks in advance for replies. Sorry in advance for my longwindedness. Also, correct me if I misspoke. I love to be corrected. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: long, but would like opinions (MiniVanPride)

4-minute bump
Old 04-19-2004, 04:08 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think with the setup you're looking for it would be closer to $13k-$15k, but yeah, if you did it right it would be plenty reliable. This is a relatively new swap, though, so it's doubtful that all the gremlins have surfaced. You might be better off swapping a B18C5 (type-R) motor into a 2000+ hatchy and tossing basic boltons at it until you hit low 13's.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:11 PM

Default Re: long, but would like opinions (Archidictus)

13-15k for a brand new base civic with a K20A?
Old 04-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Unceasing Measure

PM K20EG for a great price on a K20A2 with the installation kit. You can find 2000ish Civics all damn day for under $8k, so there's no excuse to pay any more than that, right?

I'm sure you can do it for $13k. Positive, actually. Go on eBay and buy a rolled RSX-S for under $5k, part $2500 of it out like I did, then go buy a nice shell. You'll have a retardedly fast street car with 6-gears for the highway .
Old 04-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Trial User

Would have helped or given some information as well, but damn your post is extremely to long to read.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:29 PM

Default Re: long, but would like opinions (iluvGiRls)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iluvGiRls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would have helped or given some information as well, but damn your post is extremely to long to read.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my bad, y0. i'm a stunna.

Archy - thanks for all the good info and inspiration.
maybe i've been lookin' at all the wrong places for civics. remember, my specs are cars with &lt; 100k miles, moderate body shape, no wrecks, etc. is that unreasonable?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sure you can do it for $13k. Positive, actually. Go on eBay and buy a rolled RSX-S for under $5k, part $2500 of it out like I did, then go buy a nice shell. You'll have a retardedly fast street car with 6-gears for the highway .
</TD></TR></TABLE>
^^ good acll on that, tho.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: long, but would like opinions (iluvGiRls)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iluvGiRls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would have helped or given some information as well, but damn your post is extremely to long to read.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No flaming 'till you can count to ten, homey .
Old 04-19-2004, 05:02 PM

approx one hour bump
Old 04-19-2004, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiniVanPride &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">(I guess Hondas are real desirable here in Central Florida).</TD></TR></TABLE>
Tell me about it never any reasonable prices.
I will be K20A one day.....

here you go a good read
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=835023

here's the mota 4th down from the top.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/s...it=10
Old 04-19-2004, 05:56 PM

thx agn
Old 04-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No flaming 'till you can count to ten, homey .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ten!