Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Long Ass Service for just a damn tranny swap! (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/long-ass-service-just-damn-tranny-swap-993878/)

Civic4less 09-16-2004 09:39 PM

Long Ass Service for just a damn tranny swap!

I own a 97 Honda Civic HX. And I took my car in about 3 weeks ago to get the Tranny swapped with one off of a D-Series 98 EX. The guy said I would have it by 3 days... I've called him everyday since then (or he's called me) and its always different bullshit everyday. And I'm tired of hearing it. The first time he called he said they didnt have the tranny after all and he was gonna try and get another one (For a lot more)... then he said it didnt fit. Then he said he was gonna get another one. He said it had a turbine and the one it had on it (the stock one) didnt have a turbine. Then he said he was just gonna rebuild the CVT Tranny instead. And he's still having problems with it cause he cant get any of the parts for it supposivley. Bunch of bullcrap I'm guessing.

But my question is, was I right in thinking that I could swap the tranny as long as it was from any D-Series Engine? I had been reasearching a lot on the internet and Honda-Tech.com and everywhere I looked it said that I could. The swap was only gonna cost me 500$ with the Install and now he jacked up the price to 850$. If the cars not ready by tomorrow I'm gonna go and get it myself Tranny or No Tranny installed and I'm not paying shit. But any help with what I should do with the Tranny would be nice! Thanks! https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

blackdelslo 09-16-2004 09:49 PM

Re: Long Ass Service for just a damn tranny swap! (Civic4less)

get your car out fast, dont pay shit.

jbell 09-16-2004 09:52 PM

fuck $500 for a tranny swap.

do it yourself, wont take more than 3 hours if you work hard.

Ekonte 09-16-2004 09:57 PM

Ok dude first of all u should really do ur homework before encontering any deal like this. There is soooo much info on this site that u should know exactly what u need and what u should be paying before u get into any of this. The worst thing that u can do is get into a situation where u don't know ALL the details. Because when u do that people can rip you're ass off. If u have a 97 hx then tell the guy ur swapping with that u want an hx tranny, if not then get one that is compatable with ur car. Any D series tranny should swap in there with little difficulty, and if this guy starts talking to u about turbines and bull S like that then take ur car somewhere else because he is just trying to take u. There are so many tranny's available to swap into ur car that it is unbelieveable, i've got two in my garage that would go in no problem in a handful of hours. My advice is to tell this guy
that all u want is a d series tranny thats 96-00 and that no turbine bullS is gonna fly with u. They're all compatable so go back to him knowing that u know the facts and don't take peoples BS. This guy is just trying to rip u off. Any Ek tranny will do.

Br1anPham 09-16-2004 09:58 PM

If you have any sort of handy skills, patients, and some tools, you can do it yourself. My first tranny job took a whole day just because I was winging it, and i didn't know what to do.

*all d-series up to the d17 tranny will bolt up; i dont know anything about d17's. just make sure you use a hydro tranny (which you are) any hydro tranny car (which you have).

Tools you need to do the job:

Jack/ Jackstands
Rachet
10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 32 mm socket
8mm pin punch.
Hammer
FlatHead Screwdriver or small pry bar
Clutch alignment tool if you replacing the clutch
Greese
a fork to take out the ball joint.

Off the top of my head, ill attept to write the basic steps...
1.jack up car, put on jack stands.
2. unplug all plugs on the tranny, and slave cylinder.
3. remove axels, and shift linkage
4. put a jack under the tranny to hold it in place.
5.Take out all the tranny bolts, i left one or two attached.
6. remove the mounts attach to tranny, front, back and on the side.
7. lower the jack that holds your tranny up so the motor tilts. It tilts the tranny side down.
8. remove any remaining tranny bolts and the tranny should come out.

and basicly reverse steps to put the tranny back on.
Good luck to you.

Modified by Br1anPham at 11:08 PM 9/16/2004

Ekonte 09-16-2004 10:08 PM

Yes all D series up to d17's will bolt up its the electronics u have to worry about, u can't mix obd 1 and obd 2

Br1anPham 09-16-2004 10:10 PM

Re: (92z6DX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92z6DX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes all D series up to d17's will bolt up its the electronics u have to worry about, u can't mix obd 1 and obd 2</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not that big of a deal, you can chop and splice the plugs. The only 2 plugs on tranny are vss and reverse light sensor.

I'm pretty sure about this but not complete100%.

Amkread 09-16-2004 11:56 PM

Re: (Br1anPham)

$500.. damn https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif

john666 09-17-2004 02:15 AM

and i thought 100 bucks was expensive for a tranny swap lol

tallblondkid 09-17-2004 04:34 AM

do that shit urself, learn how if u already dont know, iv done it like 4 times in my front yard

Deemeetree 09-17-2004 05:36 AM

One of the easiest things to do and would take no more than 3-4 hours for an unexperienced one with hand tools. *scratches head and shrugs shoulders*

v4lu3s 09-17-2004 05:50 AM

if you ahve a CVT tranny....then yes it could be weird to swap in a diff automatic. the CVT works very different from a normal automatic. to have the normal auto tranny working you would need to swap ecus, but then a normal auto engine computer will not use the egr system. at least with a CVT HX the o2 sensor is a normal one rather than the 5 wire one.

egisk09 09-17-2004 06:00 AM

the shop is gonna fuck u over in labor that y its takin so long

Civic4less 09-18-2004 10:29 AM

Re: (egisk09)

Thanks for the info every1... https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

ABK 09-18-2004 10:35 AM

Re: (Civic4less)

I guess most of you guys don't get the whole deal. This swap is not your average swap. But still it shouldn't take longer then 2-3 days if it's your first time (collecting parts and all).

From my understanding you are changing CVT tranny to 5 speed? or just regular auto?

5speed would actually make it pretty hard. It's way too much shit to talk about just search. $500 is not too bad. That's what the least a shop will charge you for such thing. But still go to a different place because the guy is obviously dragging ass and feeding you BS.

TeamCracka 09-18-2004 10:47 AM

Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One of the easiest things to do and would take no more than 3-4 hours for an unexperienced one with hand tools. *scratches head and shrugs shoulders*</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldnt go so far as to say its one of the easiest things to do - maybe when the motors out of the car, but IMO for all the times I've had my motor outta my car with the tranny off on an engine stand, its always lining up the dowels that seems like the most pain in the ass out of all of it.

BUt to the original poster, if you're doing this in a driveway or someplace without a lift, it'll definitely take a lot longer (do a search on the "bitch pin"!)

Theres no point in modding cars if you dont do the labor yourself, just go for it https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

HATCHingMN 09-18-2004 11:02 AM

Re: Long Ass Service for just a damn tranny swap! (delLudeVTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delLudeVTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get your car out fast, dont pay shit.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'll say https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

egOt 09-18-2004 12:48 PM

Re: Long Ass Service for just a damn tranny swap! (HATCHingMN)

Wow 500 bucks...I got mine done for 140 at ak1 motorsports and it only took a couple of hours. That was a long time ago though and now i wish i coulda just done it myself, its not a hard swap at all. Woulda saved myself 140 bucks too =/

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamCracka &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
its always lining up the dowels that seems like the most pain in the ass out of all of it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Except for this part. FUCK YEA that was a bitch.

ABK 09-18-2004 12:54 PM

Re: Long Ass Service for just a damn tranny swap! (egOt)

I don't know what you are talking about the dowels are easy to line up I can do it by myself. The way you get around bitch pin is you just unhook the shift linkage from the car and pull it out of the tranny. and you wonna trasfer the shift linkage to a different tranny just wack it out with a 8mm punch and big malet. Nothing hard here.