Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

locked steering wheel

Old 06-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default locked steering wheel

My car has been parked for a whiles now, doing bodywork, getting it repainted n such...
I took it out for a spin today around town and after I completed a turn onto my street my steering wheel locked entirely. I turned off the car took and tried fiddleing with the ignition but my wheel is completely stuck.

I had to get it my neighbour to help me tow it in my garage again and I cant get the wheel to turn anymore when the key is in the ignition. Im getting my car painted this monday and I gotta be able to drive it down to the shop, any ideas?
Old 06-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: locked steering wheel (92DSeries)

what kind of bodywork?
Old 06-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: locked steering wheel (Yeung)

its a 92 hatchback si...

bodywork...welding in new rear quarter panels, shaving the holes from my sidemolding, pulling dents...the works
Old 06-25-2004, 08:54 AM

Hey I have the same problem on my 96 civic ex? Though I can't even get the lock to turn all the way. I've tried everything, even tried turning the steering wheel and starting it. Any Idea, I don't wanna have to tow it to honda.

-Matt
Old 06-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: locked steering wheel (Mattngsx)

wow thats crazy ive never heard that before
Old 06-28-2004, 12:01 AM

Default Re: locked steering wheel (silverEH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by silverEH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow thats crazy ive never heard that before</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it f@ckin blows... Honda said its gonna be like 200 bucks (if I need a new key ignition) plus the money to tow. guess we can't be a tuner in every thing

-Matt
Old 06-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you're probably going to have to get a new steering lock, or if you know how to take the steering lock out, the spring is probably just stuck.
if you get a new steering lock here's how to take out the old one.
remove all the steering wheel stuff, like the covers and the blinker/washer handles, you dont have to remove the steering wheel. on top of the steering lock there are two rivets. get a dremel and use the cutting tool. make an indentation into each of the rivets so that you can fit a flat head into it. unscrew them both, it should be very easy to unscrew, honda doesnt put these in tight. now you can replace you old steering lock wit hthe new one, you can also just use your old tumbler so you won't have to get a new key. you can either screw the old rivets back into place or get some new ones from honda. the new ones will have a head on them that will break off when tightened enough.
i believe there is more info about removing and replacing the steering lock if you search. its fairly easy. i've done it 3 times already for my car and friends cars.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

another option if you're really broke and cant afford a new steering lock (you can usually fine used ones at junk yards, and people from Honda-Tech too for less than 100 bucks), but if you absolutely cant afford this, then heres the otjher option for you.

remove all the steering lock cover stuff from underneath the steering lock. You see where theres a circle kind of goldish colored under the steering lock. Just take a big enough drill bit to fit that and drill into it. the spring that makes the steering wheel lock should come out, if it doesnt make the hole bigger. Your steering wheel wont lock anymore but you will still be able to use your key to start the car. only disadvantage is that you steering wheel wont lock anymore, easier for thieves to steal your car if they know you steering lock is broken already, and sometimes when you go over big bumps the lock can jump into place (you only removing the spring not lock) but only for milliseconds then it falls back down, maybe a bit of super glue applied with a tooth pick to the lock device would help, ive never tried it but maybe it will work. i guess this is your last resort if your too broke for anotehr steering lock.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: locked steering wheel (inline4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by inline4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">another option if you're really broke and cant afford a new steering lock (you can usually fine used ones at junk yards, and people from Honda-Tech too for less than 100 bucks), but if you absolutely cant afford this, then heres the otjher option for you.

remove all the steering lock cover stuff from underneath the steering lock. You see where theres a circle kind of goldish colored under the steering lock. Just take a big enough drill bit to fit that and drill into it. the spring that makes the steering wheel lock should come out, if it doesnt make the hole bigger. Your steering wheel wont lock anymore but you will still be able to use your key to start the car. only disadvantage is that you steering wheel wont lock anymore, easier for thieves to steal your car if they know you steering lock is broken already, and sometimes when you go over big bumps the lock can jump into place (you only removing the spring not lock) but only for milliseconds then it falls back down, maybe a bit of super glue applied with a tooth pick to the lock device would help, ive never tried it but maybe it will work. i guess this is your last resort if your too broke for anotehr steering lock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds like a great plan to me
Old 06-28-2004, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: locked steering wheel (jdogg172)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdogg172 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That sounds like a great plan to me </TD></TR></TABLE>

hey im just giving him some options.
besides if a thief wants your car, the steering lock isn't going to stop him anyways. just an extra 10 seconds, then bam he's gone.
only thing that sucks is the lock locking into place over big bumps, i'm not sure if that's true or not, just heard stories. but i guess superglue will solve the problem.

best bet is to just get another steering lock.