Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LMA's How to tell if they are bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LMA's How to tell if they are bad?

ok ive been reading into this valve tick stuff. my motor (d16z6) ticks very very loud. Ive done 3 valve adjustments and they are all ok. so i looked into the LMA's

i took off my valve cover and pushed on them slightly (i saw a spring in them so figured they moved)

2 of the LMA's move up and down really smooth, but they also kinda spin if i put a slight twist on them.

2 of them hardly move at all, 1 of them takes alot of pressur and they dont spin.

cyl 1 is the loudest ticking of all and its the one that wont move at all.

so are they bad if they dont move up and down smoothly? or bad if they can and spin a little bit?

or does it not matter at all.

also, what do these things do?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LMA's How to tell if they are bad? (92ehatch)

hmm sounds like my SOHC. Damn thing sounded like a diesel typewriter. If you got it apart and you have the cash then just replace them and see if it makes a difference. But in all honesty i don't see how the noise could really mess anything up, unless you plan on keeping the motor for 175K miles or something. Your valves are in spec, nothin looks bent, close it up and ship it out
Old 03-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LMA's How to tell if they are bad? (JDMFantasy2k)

i know it doesnt really hurt anything for them to tick, ive read that numerous times.

but what exactly are the LMA's Purpose? i mean, if they are there for a reason then its probably for the best if they work properly.

im gonna replace them eventually, but still curious as to what they do.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LMA's How to tell if they are bad? (92ehatch)

The LMA's prevent the VTEC Rocker from banging around like crazy to prevent wear, damage, and enable VTEC to engage properly. You obviously know what the parts of the valvetrain are, so imagine if the LMA's weren't there, and you are running low cam. The VTEC lobe is always hitting the middle rocker, and without any resistance from an LMA it will bang around, and could crack or get damaged, and make a hellova lot of noise. Plus with the resistance of the LMA, it pushes the middle rocker against the cam lobe and makes it easy for the vtec pins to slide. Least it sound logical.

They should pop back when you compress them.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LMA's How to tell if they are bad? (JDMFantasy2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFantasy2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The LMA's prevent the VTEC Rocker from banging around like crazy to prevent wear, damage, and enable VTEC to engage properly. You obviously know what the parts of the valvetrain are, so imagine if the LMA's weren't there, and you are running low cam. The VTEC lobe is always hitting the middle rocker, and without any resistance from an LMA it will bang around, and could crack or get damaged, and make a hellova lot of noise. Plus with the resistance of the LMA, it pushes the middle rocker against the cam lobe and makes it easy for the vtec pins to slide. Least it sound logical.

They should pop back when you compress them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm, that makes sense to me so i guess the ticking is from them not moving freely enough, and since they stick that makes the click noise.

if thats the only job they do then im probably not gonna bother with them