Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Little help please 94 Civic B series rebuild won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Little help please 94 Civic B series rebuild won't start

Hi guys, its been a while since I've been on this site, I'm trying to figure this out. I'm having some trouble with this project ive been working on..

94 Civic ex
B18c trans
B20b block
B18b head IM throttle body

car was running and driving good before I tore the motor apart, but it smoked like a blue smoke, so I figured bad piston rings. I open it up and there was a chunk missing out of the side of one of the pistons.

Since then I installed this stuff into the engine:
New battery
new terminals
New and extra grounds
340LPH fuel pump
1000cc injectors
high flow fuel rail with fuel pressure gauge (stock fpr)
High compression pistons
new rod pins
new piston rings
New rod bearings
new crank thrust washer
new rod bolts
new timing belt
new timing belt tensioner
new water pump
new head gasket
new head bolts
new map sensor
new iacv
new engine bay fuel lines
new engine bay vacuum lines

I had the car firing up every time but it wouldn't let me give it any throttle. If I touched the throttle at ALL, it would bog and die. Sometimes I could let off and a little and it would come back to life, but idled kind of rough..and when I was able to give it any throttle, by doing stuff like unhooking the TPS, I could give it throttle and it would maybe get to 2000k rpm and kinda sound like it was popping hard in the exhaust..idk its hard to explain..misfiring or something..

I found out that the fitting was not letting fuel into the rail from the fuel filter, so I drilled a hole in the fitting like it should be, now there is fuel going to and through the rail. Now the car doesn't want to fire over at all anymore. I check the spark plugs and they were pretty soaked with fuel..i took them all out and let the engine air dry for like half the day with a sheet of plywood over my motor. The next day i put them back in and tried to fire with my foot to the floor and it just bogs here and there, but wont fire. Cranks all day, doesn't sound too fast or too slow, just a normal crank that just won't fire..

I bring timing around and it is perfect everytime I look at it, Ive already told myself im not opening that motor again, I've done it waayy too many times. It's right or close, and it was running before...and you can't really have good compression out of time right?

installed:
new main relay
new coil
new ICM
new cap
new rotor
new spark plugs
new spark plug wires

I put a spark plug in a boot and crank it over, got bright white spark at the end of the spark plug

I looked up wiring order for my injectors and they are all correct, based on color of the wiring to the diagram

got the firing order 1342..

compression test:
#1. got to 150 but idk if i cranked long enough
2. got to 150 but idk if i cranked long enough
3. 180
4. 180

I hook my compressor up to the vacuum lines, I don't hear anything significant..

steady 40psi at the rail holds even after shutoff
definitely got fuel at the plugs..

Need a little idea on how i should go about this.

How should I go about this?

Thanks for any help

Last edited by JuicedUpRice; 04-19-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: Little help please 94 Civic B series rebuild won't start

You mentioned 1000cc fuel injectors but not any type of engine management... so how are you dealing with the tuning part ??? ONE 1000cc fuel injector is bigger than all FOUR stock fuel injectors, and this is likely why you are soaking the spark plugs with fuel. Once wet, they will foul and not fire... so you will just be cranking and cranking. If you cannot modify the tune, I suggest a stock set of fuel injectors and see if she will crank up.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
You mentioned 1000cc fuel injectors but not any type of engine management... so how are you dealing with the tuning part ??? ONE 1000cc fuel injector is bigger than all FOUR stock fuel injectors, and this is likely why you are soaking the spark plugs with fuel. Once wet, they will foul and not fire... so you will just be cranking and cranking. If you cannot modify the tune, I suggest a stock set of fuel injectors and see if she will crank up.
I broke the old rail and just thought wth ill just upgrade all that right there. I don't have any tune. I didn't think it could use more than the ecu knows so I didn't think that would flood it out. I thought it would just be more than it needed and less stressed..
Ill try it and report back, thanks.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JuicedUpRice
I broke the old rail and just thought wth ill just upgrade all that right there. I don't have any tune. I didn't think it could use more than the ecu knows so I didn't think that would flood it out. I thought it would just be more than it needed and less stressed..
Ill try it and report back, thanks.
Yeah, that is not how the ECU works. It doesn't know you have changed the injector size, so the open/close time is set in the ECU based on using a factory sized set of 240cc injectors... so essentially, you are dumping better than FOUR TIMES the fuel that you need to operate the engine at idle and part throttle. If you intend to run this engine all-motor, your fuel injectors are really too big for what you need. You can use them, and once tuned, you are correct that they will not work very hard at all... but you do have to tune it.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, that is not how the ECU works. It doesn't know you have changed the injector size, so the open/close time is set in the ECU based on using a factory sized set of 240cc injectors... so essentially, you are dumping better than FOUR TIMES the fuel that you need to operate the engine at idle and part throttle. If you intend to run this engine all-motor, your fuel injectors are really too big for what you need. You can use them, and once tuned, you are correct that they will not work very hard at all... but you do have to tune it.

That makes sense. I just put the stock ones back on, but lost a nut so I got a leak..
I'll go get those nuts tomorrow morning and try to fire it up and let ya know.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Bro, 1000cc injectors will need a upgraded ecu to remap the bigger injectors size, otherwise will run like **** or not firing as said above.

and also you got your firing on distributor plug wires wrong!!!
suppose to be
standing passenger side looking at distributor:
3-4
1-2 for b series!

on a rebuilt motor I would get at least a chipped ecu for your 1000cc injectors OR use stock 240cc injectors as mentioned before for your stock ecu.

Otherwise using a untuned ecu for your 1000cc injectors will flood the motor and wash your cylinders out then your rebuild will be useless and have to hone the walls again.

What is your horsepower goal for your setup?? The 1000cc could be over kill depending what your power goals is.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K20.ek, the firing order is in fact as the OP stated of 1-3-4-2... just as you have stated in your post. What the OP didn't state is which plug wire location he started from when installing the plug wires. I think you are assuming that he is starting at the top right... unless you see a photo that I can't see.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

lol sorry. I’m use to reading my firing order differently.

K20.ek, the firing order is in fact as the OP stated of 1-3-4-2... just as you have stated in your post. What the OP didn't state is which plug wire location he started from when installing the plug wires. I think you are assuming that he is starting at the top right... unless you see a photo that I can't see.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K20.ek
Bro, 1000cc injectors will need a upgraded ecu to remap the bigger injectors size, otherwise will run like **** or not firing as said above.

and also you got your firing on distributor plug wires wrong!!!
suppose to be
standing passenger side looking at distributor:
3-4
1-2 for b series!

on a rebuilt motor I would get at least a chipped ecu for your 1000cc injectors OR use stock 240cc injectors as mentioned before for your stock ecu.

Otherwise using a untuned ecu for your 1000cc injectors will flood the motor and wash your cylinders out then your rebuild will be useless and have to hone the walls again.

What is your horsepower goal for your setup?? The 1000cc could be over kill depending what your power goals is.

Originally Posted by K20.ek
lol sorry. I’m use to reading my firing order differently.

considering I have an old picture of the motor, so I know its right,
But, to confirm, i have it from distributor to the timing belt, 1342.
Looking at the distributor is like
its a non vtec b20, bout everything should be same as b18a/b

Im sure I will go turbo eventually, but atm only plans are to make a healthy motor. Just been going with the flow for now. It's come a long way from when I got it.

Still trying to get those old injectors on, I guess i bent the mounting bolts or something so I can't bolt it down right, got bad leaks atm. I might try to grab those bolts to fix this up, and new orings. I won't let the thread hanging, Ill come back and let you guys know whats up.

Thanks for the help and concerns bros
Old 04-21-2019, 11:20 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Sometimes the upper o-ring on the injector can get folded over as you push the injector into the fuel rail. This will cause a leak. Pull out the offending injector and try slowly pushing it back in, making sure the o-ring doesn't roll down the body of the injector and out of its groove. If the o-ring is kinked or torn, replace it.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

finally got those injectors in. She fired right up runs drives good so far. Thanks guys much love
Old 04-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

1000cc injectors run by the same pwm as the OEM injectors will cause your engine to run about 417% richer than it should, and your intake charge will be too wet to ignite.