Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

a little ecu help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a little ecu help please

hi guys im a old reader but a new poster. i have recently encountered a problem with my ej1 w/ ls swap. i bought it with the swap already in there and i fear the stock ex ecu might be still in there. are there any serial numbers i can check? if i do have the ex ecu should i get the ls ecu and p75 chip it? i am open for suggestions....ps thank you in advance
Old 12-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: a little ecu help please (jdm-yoda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm-yoda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hi guys im a old reader but a new poster. i have recently encountered a problem with my ej1 w/ ls swap. i bought it with the swap already in there and i fear the stock ex ecu might be still in there. are there any serial numbers i can check? if i do have the ex ecu should i get the ls ecu and p75 chip it? i am open for suggestions....ps thank you in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

Get a P28 and chip it since they're both OBD-I - you could run a stock LS program or if it's OBD-II run a conversion harness and it'll plug right up to a chipped P28.

OR

You can just run the stock LS ECU and don't need to chip anything b/c they're both OBD-I (unless that LS is OBD-II, in which case you simply need a conversion harness) so it'll plug right up.

As far as the number goes, pull back the carpet in the passengers' foot well, facing out of the car. You have to remove the pin that keeps the carpet down in the front (just pops off), then you can pull it back. Can't really miss the ECU, it's big, looks like a big *** hard drive.

On this big *** ECU is a big *** sticker that says something along the lines of...
XXXXXXXXXXXX-P72-XXXXXXXXXXX

(with the X's being numbers 'n letters 'n **** of course.

The number in the middle (in between the hyphens is your ECU type, so the above is a P72, and the one below is a P28).

xxxxxxxxxxx-P28-XXXXXXXXXX

Can't really miss it. Good luck.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: a little ecu help please (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Get a P28 and chip it since they're both OBD-I - you could run a stock LS program or if it's OBD-II run a conversion harness and it'll plug right up to a chipped P28.

OR

You can just run the stock LS ECU and don't need to chip anything b/c they're both OBD-I (unless that LS is OBD-II, in which case you simply need a conversion harness) so it'll plug right up.

As far as the number goes, pull back the carpet in the passengers' foot well, facing out of the car. You have to remove the pin that keeps the carpet down in the front (just pops off), then you can pull it back. Can't really miss the ECU, it's big, looks like a big *** hard drive.

On this big *** ECU is a big *** sticker that says something along the lines of...
XXXXXXXXXXXX-P72-XXXXXXXXXXX

(with the X's being numbers 'n letters 'n **** of course.

The number in the middle (in between the hyphens is your ECU type, so the above is a P72, and the one below is a P28).

xxxxxxxxxxx-P28-XXXXXXXXXX

Can't really miss it. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that about sums it up... i ran a chipped DX ecu on my old LS swap for like a year an half an it worked fine.. Unless i lost the race, than of course it was cuz the POS single cam computer hahaha...
Old 12-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you man.... i consider myself pretty honda savvy but on the really technical stuff i need help. so i am here to learn!!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a little ecu help please (jdm-yoda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm-yoda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thank you man.... i consider myself pretty honda savvy but on the really technical stuff i need help. so i am here to learn!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Aren't we all...

Though beware, around H-T lurks some people that NEVER learned...they were blessed from BIRTH with an extremely large Honda intellectual basis. According to them they've never learned, nobody helped them, and they've never been a noob.

You find them once every 1, 2, or 3 threads.

Annoying as hell, too.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Aren't we all...

Though beware, around H-T lurks some people that NEVER learned...they were blessed from BIRTH with an extremely large Honda intellectual basis. According to them they've never learned, nobody helped them, and they've never been a noob.

Annoying as hell, too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah like me... I was born at the Chilton/Haynes Technical Hospital where I was raised from a toddler to do transmission swaps an defined rebuilds on certain rare JDM motors... It's pretty cool and I feel very privileged lol...
Old 12-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: a little ecu help please (JDM_SOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah like me... I was born at the Chilton/Haynes Technical Hospital where I was raised from a toddler to do transmission swaps an defined rebuilds on certain rare JDM motors... It's pretty cool and I feel very privileged lol...</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that would imply that somebody taught you.

Some of these cumstains are under the distinct impression that nobody helped them....EVER.....and that they were never at any point NOOBS at engines....NEVER....

Old 12-20-2006, 07:50 AM

[Some of these cumstains are under the distinct impression that nobody helped them....EVER.....and that they were never at any point NOOBS at engines....NEVER....

[/QUOTE]

Point well stated. Big ups to you man!!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, that would imply that somebody taught you.

Some of these cumstains are under the distinct impression that nobody helped them....EVER.....and that they were never at any point NOOBS at engines....NEVER....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha yeah ur right dude, i laugh at those retards though cuz they just do that so they look all high an mighty but really their actin like little distinct peices of humantaleous rectal lining.... Boo to them...
Old 12-21-2006, 02:31 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Though beware, around H-T lurks some people that NEVER learned...they were blessed from BIRTH with an extremely large Honda intellectual basis. According to them they've never learned, nobody helped them, and they've never been a noob.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey that sounds like me
Old 12-21-2006, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aren't we all...

Annoying as hell, too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like me too. sorry, we arent all too stupid too search. most of my knowledge is 1st hand experience from actually WORKING on cars, but for everything else there is PLENTY of archived threads, not too mention the HUGE FAQ sticky at the top of this forum that covers 90% of all questions that are asked in this forum.