Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A little *appearance* for those of us who don't like to venture into that forum, but have a nagging

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A little *appearance* for those of us who don't like to venture into that forum, but have a nagging

Here's my problem guys....
Notice how the side molding on the front and rear quarter panels is much lighter then that on the door.

My car has this problem on both sides. Now, this problem has been bugging me for a long time. And, like many others on this site, I hate to venture into the "appearance/cosmetic" forum for fear of losing my lunch. So I decided to post this in the EG forum (Tom, if this is a huge problem, move it, dock points, whatever is necessary).

Here's the tech:
I was recently alerted (by another H-T member who's name I've forgotten) to a product made by Mothers. It's called "Back to Black" and comes in a little red bottle, in cream form. It is used for side moldings and plastics, to help remove oxidation and return them to their original black color.

Steps:
1. Make sure moldings (and I did my side skirts and lip as well) are clean, dry and cool.
2. Apply Back To Black liberally over plasic.
3. Allow to sit and dry.
4. Wipe clean with terry cloth.
5. Repeat if necessary.

I've only done it once so far and it made a noticable difference. After I do my second coat, I'll take some pictures to show you the results. So far, I'm very happy.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A little *appearance* for those of us who don't like to venture into that forum, but have a nagg

I have a better solution.... paint them and your never have to worry about fading again.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:11 PM

Default Re: A little *appearance* for those of us who don't like to venture into that forum, but have a nagg

back to black does not work very well i have never had good luck with it just get it painted
Old 01-30-2003, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a better solution.... paint them and your never have to worry about fading again.
Thanks for the replies....

Painting it was not an option for me, as I do not like how painted side moldings look. Also, a bottle of $3 supplies is a lot cheaper then painting it.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ready for some rice? you wanna know what i did to get my side moldings to stop fading? for some dumb luck reason the local vinyl shop just so happened to have a color of white that PERFECTLY matches the frost white color of the 92-95 civic/delsol. i just pulled the moldings off, laid them down with vinyl and put them back on, it has lasted almost 5 years, no fading, no cracks, and was wayyyyy cheaper than painting. i also did this for the black rain strips on the roof too. FYI..
Old 01-30-2003, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ready for some rice? you wanna know what i did to get my side moldings to stop fading? for some dumb luck reason the local vinyl shop just so happened to have a color of white that PERFECTLY matches the frost white color of the 92-95 civic/delsol. i just pulled the moldings off, laid them down with vinyl and put them back on, it has lasted almost 5 years, no fading, no cracks, and was wayyyyy cheaper than painting. i also did this for the black rain strips on the roof too. FYI..
Nice idea.

I guess I should mention that I am a poor college student with no place to work on my car. I was able to do this all very cheap, quickly and without having to remove anything.

BUt that is a cool idea, I've never heard of doing what you did before.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is another product called 'Forever Black' that works really well too.

http://www.seriousauto.com/detailing...ver_black.html
Old 01-30-2003, 02:25 PM
YodaIsGod

electrical tape MAY work too.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

electrical tape MAY work too.
Poor Yoda...he has no home without the MC.

I used to have electrical tape, but then all the ricers here at school would steal it to write their kReW names on their cars.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

back to black does not work very well i have never had good luck with it just get it painted
Yea, this didn't work for me either. I second painting them. You can do it yourself in an hour or two. I'm not a fan of the glossy look either, but you could use satin? or flat black? I'm sure theres something out there that is close in color.

Edit: Where did you get the HT sticker?

[Modified by t0p_sh0tta, 6:29 PM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-30-2003, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, this didn't work for me either. I second painting them. You can do it yourself in an hour or two. I'm not a fan of the glossy look either, but you could use satin? or flat black? I'm sure theres something out there that is close in color.
Well, I'll keep you updated as to whether this stuff fades or not.
Where did you get the HT sticker?
IM Chris on the board here, he should be able to get some for you.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

painting it shouldn't be such a big deal or anything, and you could do it in like yellow or something
Old 01-30-2003, 02:55 PM

painting it shouldn't be such a big deal or anything, and you could do it in like yellow or something
Or neon green to match the under body lights!

lol

SO back to black works? I might give it a try, my moldings are also starting to fade. Post some after pics when u get them!
Old 01-30-2003, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Or neon green to match the under body lights!
Actually, my neons are blue.
SO back to black works? I might give it a try, my moldings are also starting to fade. Post some after pics when u get them!
Well, after the initial application, it seems to be working very well. I will def. post pics as soon as I can get my car in some decent light (right now its under crappy "parking garage orange" light )
Old 01-30-2003, 03:17 PM
H-T Poker champion

At least you have side moldings to fade!!! hehe

Is the first pic after the first application of the product? Or was that before anything was done?
Old 01-30-2003, 03:23 PM
New User

i was having the same issues.. mirrors, windshiled wipers and door gurads were all chiping/fading..
6 bucks though on some wall-mart colorplace satin finish black and some sandpaper took care of all of it permanantly.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you go to a automotive paint store, they should have 3M Honda Black spray. It's the black that unpainted moldings come in. About $9 a can, but well worth it.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is this paint called "Trim Black" It looks exactly like the factory side moldings, mirrors, window trim etc... That forever black stuff is messy and takes along time to dry. Trim Black is $4-5 a can, and drys super quick

-Alex

[Modified by 2kTypeRHatch, 3:28 PM 1/30/2003]
Old 01-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the first pic after the first application of the product? Or was that before anything was done?
Before
Old 01-30-2003, 03:33 PM

that mothers **** is not good at all. jus get some flat spray paint and paint them. same amount of $$ your goin to spend on the mothers ****. and not more fading.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:20 PM

what you got under the hood y0
Old 01-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i pained mine black
Old 01-30-2003, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just painted mine because the black was faded away and I like the painted look.

Let's see some pics of the finished product when your done.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:18 PM

Dam I don't remember seeing that the last time you were down south.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

product made by Mothers. It's called "Back to Black" and comes in a little red bottle, in cream form. It is used for side moldings and plastics, to help remove oxidation and return them to their original black color..

Quick Reply: A little *appearance* for those of us who don't like to venture into that forum, but have a nagging