Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

litterbox's hatch finally broke down. little help here..

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:17 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default litterbox's hatch finally broke down. little help here..

FIXED!!! OLD *** HATCH WILL NEVAR DIE!!!

Hey,

So a couple days ago I noticed a slight blip while accelerating. Particularly in 2nd and 3rd gear in lower rpms. It would just bog down for a split second then accelleration would be smoothe again.

Today, I noticed the bogs again but they happened more frequently then all of a sudden one happened and the car shut off.

So I pulled off to the shoulder, checked my plugs, cap, throttle cable, everything looked fine under the hood. NO CEL"S CAME ON. I couldn't make out if the fuel pump was priming because I was on a busy street and it was hard to decipher through all the road noise.

What I need from you all is a list of what stuff I should check. So far I know I need to check my:

Distributor (what should I look for)
Fuel Pump Relay (it's a brown box near the fuse box right?)

What else should I check?

I'm hoping this is an easy junkyard fix because I"m piecing together a swap and I don't want to spend money on this crap motor. My motor is a bone stock D15B7 with 258,000 miles on it. Has it finally crapped out?

Thanks guys,

George

Modified by litterbox at 3:43 PM 7/10/2005
Old 07-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Electrician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you done a tune-up?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:23 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (Deemeetree)

I've done a tranny fluid change, coolant flush about 10,000 miles ago. Oil changed religiously every 3000 miles or whenever I get bored.

I changed the plugs and wires about 15,000miles ago.

The car was in great working condition up until this started about two days ago. It NEVER gave me any problems.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:26 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: litterbox's hatch finally broke down. little help here.. (litterbox)

Check for spark and for fuel first.

This could be any of several potential problems, but distributor component failure is the most common, so I'd start there.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:31 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: litterbox's hatch finally broke down. little help here.. (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check for spark and for fuel first.

This could be any of several potential problems, but distributor component failure is the most common, so I'd start there.</TD></TR></TABLE>That's what I figured.

BUT, when I pull the dizzy cap, what should I look for. I've never taken one apart because I've never had the need to.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: litterbox's hatch finally broke down. little help here.. (litterbox)

TRY THE BASIC TUNE UP AND DID YOU EVER REPLACE THE FEUL FILTER?YOU NEVER KNOW.MAYBE A TIMING ISSUE.HONDAS CAN BE WIERD SOMETIMES.I HAVE SEEN SOME WIERD **** WITH HONDA MOTORS.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:31 AM

get your ignitor and coil tested out, I think that was my reason on my d15b7
Old 07-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does this "blip" happen at always at a certain RPM?
If so could you hold it at that rpm, and will the fuel cut and them restart, then cut and restart etc etc..

if so you have the same thing happening to my d15b7 and I and my back up mechanic have no idea what it is specifically.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:09 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: (Vero)

Does the vehicle still start at this point. No CELs is actually a good thing at times, but also a bad thing since they give you a good place to start. Here is where to start. Most likely it is in the fuel or ignition systms. Start here. Whe you ope the dizzy make sure the ign coil isn't busted. This is like the little contact tower when you remove the cap. Look inside the cap and make sure there isn't any carbon buildup on the contacts and make sure they aren't too worn. Do the same for the rotor as well. If it even looks somewhat shitty replace them both, they are cheap anyway. The service manual mentions other possible culprits to stalling like this are the exhaust gas recirculation system or the IACV. But start with the simple **** first. Oh yeah and let us know if the car starts and ****, if you didn't already..
Old 07-07-2005, 08:19 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

The vehicle turns over, but will not start.

This weekend I'll be checking ignition and fuel systems. It has to be something involved with that because it was a problem that gradually became worse.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (litterbox)

The rotor could have come off, or it could be something entirely different. I'd take off the cap & start there. In order to fix this, you will have to trouble shoot all of the little stuff first. GL.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The vehicle turns over, but will not start.

This weekend I'll be checking ignition and fuel systems. It has to be something involved with that because it was a problem that gradually became worse.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Must be a D15B7 epidemic. My **** wont start, but I am hoping mine is just the battery. Havnt done any testing yet.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:28 AM

i'm pretty much having the same problem as he is except mine starts, but it dies if i have the clutch in, and i'm not giving it gas, was it running really rough before it **** out on you?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (DJ_SaNdOz)

Check your fuel filter, and fuel pump. If you have a multimeter read the volts going to your fuel pump. With that much miles it might be taking a **** on you. Also take out the pump and see if the little filter in there is clogged.

But if you have some little kids that are smart and really dont like you also look for half a balloon in your gas tank. Thats one of the greatest pranks ever.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:43 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: (DJ_SaNdOz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJ_SaNdOz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The rotor could have come off, or it could be something entirely different. I'd take off the cap & start there. In order to fix this, you will have to trouble shoot all of the little stuff first. GL.</TD></TR></TABLE> Yes start here, then...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check your fuel filter, and fuel pump. If you have a multimeter read the volts going to your fuel pump. With that much miles it might be taking a **** on you. Also take out the pump and see if the little filter in there is clogged.

But if you have some little kids that are smart and really dont like you also look for half a balloon in your gas tank. Thats one of the greatest pranks ever. </TD></TR></TABLE>Work from here.

There is a slight chance it may be in the wiring, if this seems like the case litterbox hit me up and I'll help you out with schematics and flowcharts..
Old 07-08-2005, 11:58 AM

I got my money on the biggest failures in honda's

1) the ICM
2) the Coil
3)Main relay
Old 07-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your coil mine went out and i was stuck in downtown riverside with all the druggies running around me... pull a spark plug have a friend crank it over and see if its getting spark... if it is.. get a wrench i forget what size maybe 12 and open up the bleeder valve on the top of the fuel filter and see if your getting fuel...

if all check out.. check some grounds or fuses
Old 07-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also make shure that u put the spark plug in a good ground like the valve cover or the head
Old 07-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The vehicle turns over, but will not start.

This weekend I'll be checking ignition and fuel systems. It has to be something involved with that because it was a problem that gradually became worse.</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is also a relay that controls ignition and fuel, on hot humid days, older ones sometimes do not open up all the way - failing to deliver fuel or spark. could be something to check out.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Ok guys, thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna start examining stuff right now. Hopefully I can get it fixed tonight because tomorrow I need to fly to Canada for a meeting and to see an old GF. w00t.

BUT, if I don't find the problem, the car will get stripped down and engine bay prepped a week earlier than I had planned for the swap..
Old 07-08-2005, 01:19 PM

i would just try switching the distributor w/ someone's that you kno works....u may end up replacing a whole bunch of parts for no reason
Old 07-08-2005, 01:20 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

This literally wouldn't bother me if it happened two weeks later...
Old 07-08-2005, 01:25 PM

I think just about everyone has forgoten, or maybe do not know, the first step in engine diagnosis.

ELIMINATE BASE ENGINE FIRST. Does the car start? If it does check vacuum at idle. If it is steady between 18 and 22 In Hg then the engine is fine.

If it doesn't start do a leak down test.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got my money on the biggest failures in honda's

1) the ICM
2) the Coil
3)Main relay</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup George, motor crapped out on ya. LOL. The B7 lived well, RIP...

Quick Reply: litterbox's hatch finally broke down. little help here..