Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LiteraCola's Project Daily, Version 3.0: 98 DX Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 03:15 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Re: LiteraCola's Project Daily, Version 3.0: 98 DX Hatch

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra
I guess I somehow got what 94 Civic Si said about feeling like there was less pressure against the back of the injectors with lower fuel levels confused with your problem. That half a tank $#!t was screwing my head!

My money's on the checkball. I hope that's it! I lose sleep when I have problems like that.

I'm not sure if a greater amount of fuel in the tank could affect the performance of the pump, unless of course it's empty haha. True, the more fuel in the tank, the more head pressure on the bottom of the tank, but the pump only has so much head itself, meaning it's only going to pump as much as it's designed to. But who knows, I've never really been able to explain why these cars don't like to start when the fuel level is low....so anyone's guess is as good as mine.

*UPDATE*
Fuel pressure gauge is on the way! I decided to go with a permanently mounted gauge, because #racecar. I'm kidding, but seriously, at least this way, my fuel pressure won't ever be questioned. And I can always snag another gauge from here at work if it fails MUAHAHA.
VA State Inspection went well, except I was reminded that my third brake light isn't working. I'm not sure how I didn't notice that. Oh well, I already have a "Spoon style" wing (with an integrated brake light) on the way! The inspector even complimented on how clean the car is, and asked how the hell I was able to find such a low-mileage hatch in such good condition. Aw shucks.

*Dons flame suit*
Sue me, but I'm thinking, at least for right now... maybe I could just Plastidip the roof instead of going through the trouble of sanding and re-clearing it. It looks hideous and is always the first thing I notice when I walk up to the car. I'm still trying to decide what to do about the SI wheels that came on the car. They desperately need to be stripped and refinished. Do I strip, polish and clear them? Or do I strip and spray them? I'm thinking gunmetal. Either way, they need new tires before I do anything with them...
Old 03-07-2018, 05:03 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

do it.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:24 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

yea, do it you poooosay
Old 03-07-2018, 07:29 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

What about a wrap for the roof panel?
That is flat enough you could probably do it yourself.
I think about wrapping my EG instead of painting just b/c paint is so expensive.
Or put the Jolly Roger on your roof panel ftw.
Or if you watched too much Dukes of Hazard, a big ol Confederate Flag w/ 01

As for wheels, what about powder coat?
Old 03-07-2018, 07:32 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
Or put the Jolly Roger on your roof panel ftw.

Or ..., a big ol Confederate Flag w/ 01
Old 03-07-2018, 07:41 AM
Corvette Forum Member

What about a wrap for the roof panel?
That is flat enough you could probably do it yourself.
I think about wrapping my EG instead of painting just b/c paint is so expensive.

As for wheels, what about powder coat?
I know, right? I have looked into a wrap, but was tempted to go CF. Then again, I think a satin or flat black would be nicer and less "ricey'?

I also thought about powder coating the wheels, but I'm a cheap mother ******, so I'll probably just rattle can them until I decide to buy something nicer than SI's. Speaking of ricey...?
Old 03-07-2018, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by CX-Adam

Of course followed by Our Lady of Guadalupe on the hood - yo!
Old 03-08-2018, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thing is clean! My 95 coupe that I picked up has some rust on the quarter panels, about 2 inches by 2 inches on the passenger side and a little smaller on the drivers side. I am scared to mess with it.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Originally Posted by anothercb7
This thing is clean! My 95 coupe that I picked up has some rust on the quarter panels, about 2 inches by 2 inches on the passenger side and a little smaller on the drivers side. I am scared to mess with it.
Thanks man! The interior, in my opinion, is a good 9/10. The driver's door panel arm rest is broken and I'll be picking up a new door panel the next time I hit the local salvage yard. Other than that, it's great! I did a quick detail on the car last sunday and overall, the paint is in decent shape. Of course, the clear it peeling and worn out on the roof, and the fenders are rusty, but other than that, she's solid.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

LiteralCola that's a nice looking hatch.

My opinion is don't mess with the roof until you are ready to paint it. Although in the meantime you could do a LIGHT scrape and sand, followed by wax or polish. That may not be worth the time though.

And for the wheels, you need to figure out the look you want. Raw clear coated aluminum is very OE, but gun metal looks slick. All on you breh.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Corvette Forum Member

I don't see a buff doing anything to that roof. My new duckbill is here, so I'm probably going to paint it to match that. Or satin black PD them both to hold me over until I decide to paint the car. My new FP gauge is here; I've been busy working on that POS jeep so all of my projects have been put on hold!

Honestly, I may not even need the gauge since my new scanner monitors FP and all other aspects of the engine....Maybe I'll install it anyways, just to be able to give a quick glance whenever I feel froggy.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
new scanner monitors FP and all other aspects of the engine
Where is the fuel pressure sensor on that car?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:22 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Where is the fuel pressure sensor on that car?
I have a feeling you're asking me that question because the car doesn't have one haha. Gauge it is.

No major updates as of right now. I've been working a lot and I'm well on my way to ridding myself of the Jeep. I've got a detailing job this weekend so I probably won't get anything done on the civic. I bought a new set of rear drums to see if it takes care of my knock under braking. Worse comes to worst, I'll retrun them if it doesn't fix the problem. Free ****! My FP gauge and wing are sitting in my garage, waiting to be installed.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
I have a feeling you're asking me that question because the car doesn't have one haha. Gauge it is.

Honestly, I knew I hadn't seen an input for it on my Civic's ECU pinout, but I was like, "Hey, maybe I missed something." Lol
Old 03-14-2018, 05:15 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Honestly, I knew I hadn't seen an input for it on my Civic's ECU pinout, but I was like, "Hey, maybe I missed something." Lol
Yeah, definitely my bad!
Old 03-15-2018, 04:16 AM
Corvette Forum Member

I decided to do a little tinkering on the Hatch when I got home from work yesterday. I swapped the rear drums for new ones to try and get rid of that nasty knock under braking. New drums took care of the issue so I'm taking the old ones back (actually, they're less than a month old... ******* store-brand ****). Also, I wanted to try out my new DeWalt 20V 1/2" drive Impact. Boy, is it nice to not have to wait for my compressor to build up and then drag an air hose across the driveway. After that I removed the spoiler and installed my new Fleabay Special "Spoon Style" wing. So far, I'm enjoying the **** out of it. I had to wire in the 3rd brake light and glue some foam bushings around the bolt holes, but overall the fit and finish is damn near perfect. However, I did lose the use of my washer. One day I'll figure out a way to reattach it, or I'll do away with the rear wiper altogether! Under the wing, I found 20 years worth of dirt and grime so I decided to thoroughly clean the area (and also remove the roof trim pieces and clean under those). Anyone know where I could snag new ones in decent shape? Mine all bent up and cracked.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:49 AM
talks to himself

I've been considering a cordless impact. I don't have a compressor at my place. I'd be nice to have something.

Spoiler looks good. Rear washer? Oh, you mean the squeegees at gas stations.

My guess is that there's no aftermarket for the roof trim pieces. You'd have to check something like majestic honda for parts but, I don't really know.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Speaking of gas station squeegees, I usually don't use them on my back window because all that nasty "whatever might be in the squeegee bucket" just ends up running down the rear bumper. I used a gas station squeegee once on my EH9 and someone had poured oil or some other nastiness into the bucket. I didn't realize it until I had smeared it across my wind shield. I had to scrub the **** off when I got home and it was about 15 degrees. Not fun.

I have a 26 gallon Craftsmen compressor that works okay, but it's oilless and obnoxiously loud, especially when using an air ratchet that makes it cycle on and off. It's no fun when I'm working inside the garage with the door closed in the winter. I jacked the rear of the car up and inspected/swapped out the kncking drums in 10 minutes. I'm all about efficiency haha

Ouch! Maybe I'll take a look at the local Pick A Part and see if they have any hatches with decent roof moldings...

Old 03-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It's just plastic right? Just take some off the vette

*runs away*
Old 03-15-2018, 09:44 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Ahhh another meaningful contribution to the thread; thanks for that.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 AM
Corvette Forum Member

So I went ahead and installed my new FP gauge on Saturday. I've got a steady 36psi at idle, but later on today I'm going to run through the steps in the FSM to determine if fuel pressure is actually causing my hard-starting issue. On a lighter note, I have loaded my SI wheels in the back and I'll be bringing them to work to remove the tires. I'll be starting the refinishing project soon! Let's get this **** moving!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Corvette Forum Member

I just found a guy under an hour away who is parting out a "freshly-sacrificed" 98 EX Coupe. I offered him $100 for the front LCAs, Sway bar, all associated bushings, brackets and hardware, and the console/arm rest. Only down side is that I get to pull the parts. Seems like a decent price to me; the local pick a part would charge more than that for those parts...

I've decided to start gathering parts for my suspenion project! Progress CS2 Coilovers and Rear Sway bar and Brace kit! It will be nicely complimented by the front EX sway bar set up! Woo!
Old 03-30-2018, 10:13 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Small update. I inspected the timing belt (looks brand new), checked the valve clearances (all good) and repainted the valve cover. I also took the car to a local body shop and was quoted $850 to fix all the rust on the car, not including paint. I figure if I get the rust fixed and primed, I'll make an appointment to get a Maaco job done. I'm not looking for a show car, just something better than what I have!

I actually hear really good things about Maaco here in Fredericksburg.

Needless to say. I have put the rest of my mod plans on hold for now. I'm switching gears to "Cosmetic Mode" for a while.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:24 AM
Corvette Forum Member

So I went to Maaco yesterday to let them go over the car and give me a "worst case" quote on fixing ALL the rust, pulling all the dents and painting the car. $2941!!! To be honest, I almost expected it to be offensively expensive. So obviously it's time to rethink the whole project. I think I'm going to do more research, invest a few hundred bucks in tools and materials and have a go at this project myself. Then when it's all done I'll go for a decent paint job. I'll still need to source a new passenger front fender and a rear bumper. And I need to decide if I want to attempt to use SS mesh to patch the quarter panel rust, or try and weld in new panels. I can weld, and have access to a good spot welder, but I'm afraid to weld on a car body.... can anyone offer any tips?
Old 04-04-2018, 11:20 AM
talks to himself

Why are you afraid to weld on a car body? Afraid of blowing through?

Quick Reply: LiteraCola's Project Daily, Version 3.0: 98 DX Hatch