Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lil' Blue

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lil' Blue

I have successfully smoged my 1993 Civic Del Sol. D15b7 with the no longer produced JRSC Supercharger kit (for this model). Both an intake leak and worn out fuel injectors (223K miles) killed my cat, killed my $68.00/smog test. Sigh. I went from 3198 NO to 5 using the Magnaflow 33636 bolt in high flow California 50 state approved mode catalyst. @ ~ 250+ cost. Ouch. SOHC no EGR. Anyway LB runs like a top Very strong. (it did prior to said smog failure) I found some other problems --- lurkers - problems that do not surface until you touch the parts, or go on vacation. All fixed.

Looks like I am inspecting my primary relay soon as I have a start (warm) die, and wait three minutes before trying again. fires right up.

I am hoping someone will have knowledge to share:

1: the JRSC kit left me with a barely capable fuel management system = lean boost and California does not like aftermarket fuel injection components so I am kinda stuck. Looking at a S300 - we will see.

2: I just (after pass smog) replaced the stock units that were specked at only 235cc/min with the Accel 9erformance 24 lb/hr 255/min Hydrocarbons are likely much lower now.

Anyway, Magnaflow cat their part # 36636 is effective - not cheap, we will see if it lasts 5/50k. I am happy with this part.

I am wondering if I am running into a check-valve issue at the original fuel pump as the injectors Cold start is either very rich or they be empty cause it starts rough and used to be silk. Leaning towards a leaky injector in this. Oher than a slight roughness idle at start (seconds) Performance is much improved and predetionation is drastically reduced. I like my blown D15 so broken rods and such have to be discouraged.

What do you all think? the stock ecu is delivering to much enrichment cold due to the larger injector volume?

The check valve is possibly bad and the pump has quarter million miles anyway.

One of the injectors is leaking down?

The stock fuel pressure regulator and fuel rail have had their day No known aftermarket update that will pass the prying eyes of the air board. (dont get me wrong, I like my car to run clean the cat is staying as long as it is effective) but I should be allowed to adjust my fuel pressure... .

MAP I have problems going here or the IAT cannot find a test fault but the intermediate nature of the problem is troublesome

Prime relay fuel pump soldering - I will be looking there tomorrow. or very soon.

Suggestions are encouraged.

Tks,
sat7
Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lil' Blue

Originally Posted by sat771
I have successfully smoged my 1993 Civic Del Sol. D15b7 with the no longer produced JRSC Supercharger kit (for this model). Both an intake leak and worn out fuel injectors (223K miles) killed my cat, killed my $68.00/smog test. Sigh. I went from 3198 NO to 5 using the Magnaflow 33636 bolt in high flow California 50 state approved mode catalyst. @ ~ 250+ cost. Ouch. SOHC no EGR. Anyway LB runs like a top Very strong. (it did prior to said smog failure) I found some other problems --- lurkers - problems that do not surface until you touch the parts, or go on vacation. All fixed.

Looks like I am inspecting my primary relay soon as I have a start (warm) die, and wait three minutes before trying again. fires right up.

I am hoping someone will have knowledge to share:

1: the JRSC kit left me with a barely capable fuel management system = lean boost and California does not like aftermarket fuel injection components so I am kinda stuck. Looking at a S300 - we will see.

2: I just (after pass smog) replaced the stock units that were specked at only 235cc/min with the Accel 9erformance 24 lb/hr 255/min Hydrocarbons are likely much lower now.

Anyway, Magnaflow cat their part # 36636 is effective - not cheap, we will see if it lasts 5/50k. I am happy with this part.

I am wondering if I am running into a check-valve issue at the original fuel pump as the injectors Cold start is either very rich or they be empty cause it starts rough and used to be silk. Leaning towards a leaky injector in this. Oher than a slight roughness idle at start (seconds) Performance is much improved and predetionation is drastically reduced. I like my blown D15 so broken rods and such have to be discouraged.

What do you all think? the stock ecu is delivering to much enrichment cold due to the larger injector volume?

The check valve is possibly bad and the pump has quarter million miles anyway.

One of the injectors is leaking down?

The stock fuel pressure regulator and fuel rail have had their day No known aftermarket update that will pass the prying eyes of the air board. (dont get me wrong, I like my car to run clean the cat is staying as long as it is effective) but I should be allowed to adjust my fuel pressure... .

MAP I have problems going here or the IAT cannot find a test fault but the intermediate nature of the problem is troublesome

Prime relay fuel pump soldering - I will be looking there tomorrow. or very soon.

Suggestions are encouraged.

Tks,
sat7
Not sure about Accel injectors but rule of thumb is whatever aftermarket or modified injectors would have to be tuned for.

With a flow rating of 255 over your stock 230-240cc I don't really see a point of running them unless tuned for. There are other aspects of injector tuning then just the flow rate. Especially if the Accel injector has a different body then the stock injector. Run the stock injector until you get fuel management....
Although wideband data would make this decision for me.

You need to pass emissions then take control over your ecu/fuel pressure/etc. When emissions time comes back around 2 years later return it back to its state of when it passed.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wanna see pics of the said supercharged civic
Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock ECU with boost?

I ran a JRSC on my D16y8 with a S300. Stock injectors were peaking at 85% duty cycle. There is a possibility of the stock ecu maxxing the injectors out, which if you continue to run that way, can cause them to stick open. I switched to 440's, re-tuned and never had another problem.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
i wanna see pics of the said supercharged civic
Old 07-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just for you Mr. overly tired accord

7.5psi, meth injected, car was a blast to drive. only made like 165whp/145wtq, but those numbers were at like 2500-3k rpms and the whine was intoxicating.

Biggest regret I had with this car was pulling this set-up out and swapping to H22