lightweight flywheel question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lightweight flywheel question

ok i'm looking at buying a lightweight flywheel,
so i've been reading thru some archived posts about the subject.

someone wrote this:
"Get the JUN flywheel, it is well engineered, it is heavier for a reason because that is the best mass that can produce a good throttle response, also it retains enough interia to keep your engine spining, when your shifting through the gears, just remember the lighter the flywheel the more responsive it is but it will not hold the same inertia as the heavier flywheel, that will keep your engine in higher rpms and will not drop more than 1000 rpms between shifts, the lighter flywheel will do the opposite, it will drop over a 1000 rpms and you will be shifting into lower power bands."

is this correct?
it sounds like hogwash to me, because isnt your rpm prettymuch LOCKED into what speed your at? so when you shift, you go into whatever rpm your next gear will be at for the mph you are going??

fill me in!!
thanks
Old 10-04-2004, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: lightweight flywheel question (Tad)

It is very correct, When you are shifting you are leting off of the gas so your rpms will drop they will drop faster with a lighter flywheel than with OEM, but they will increase faster. a light flywheel is not as good for 1/4 but is is better for racing on say a track were you will be slowing and sppeding up. I have a ACT prolight I just put on I have not driven my car with it yet I will tuesday. I guess I will find out then
Old 10-04-2004, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lightweight flywheel question (bgoetz)

Ya, well, they make it sound like OMG OMG OMG, but it's really not a big deal. The lighter the flywheel the faster it will lose inertia when you're between gears. I still say lighter is better. If you want to be extra easy on the tranny and make sure the RPM is correct when you shift between gears, you can leave the throttle open a little to match the RPM. It doesn't take much getting used to at all. It's early, I hope I made sense.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:32 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lightweight flywheel question (jolt-tsp)

hmm, sounds like it makes sense.

but i'm still thinking, if your in gear... rpms cannot drop unless you slow down.
so does that mean you'll slow down more when you shift or something?
I can undestand that when you put in the clutch the rpms would drop faster,
but then once you go into the next gear and release the clutch.. shouldnt they just hop right back up again?

Old 10-04-2004, 11:12 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

^
Old 10-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: lightweight flywheel question (Tad)

get a clutch masters flywheel. I have it on my si and it doesn't feel too heavy nor too light. a lighter flywheel won't make your car lose speed when it's in gear, when the car is in gear it has the same effect as lightweight rims have, which is less rotational mass. If your flywheel is TOO light, When you're driving on the street and your granny shifting the RPMs will drop below where they need to be for the next upshift. Too heavy a flywheel and your RPMs don't drop fast enough to match up with the next upshift. but like that one guy said earlier, with a lil practice you could learn to hold the revs with the throttle and match the gears up. Hope this helps
Old 10-04-2004, 11:50 AM

Don't listen to all of the "lose rev's faster and horrid to drive on the street" bullshit. The only time that really becomes an issue is if it takes you longer than about 3 seconds to shift gears. Even my 70 year old grandmother shifts faster than 3 seconds. A lighter flywheel reduces drag on the engine and vastly help with power delivery and throttle response. Less drag also means less wear on the synchros as it's easier for the engine and tranny to work together. There are no cons whatsoever to using the lightest damn flywheel you can get. Anyone who says otherwise has little or no experience in the matter.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

heh, yeh i had a feelin.

i'm looking at a fidanza fw btw,
its the same as clutchmasters.
and 6.5lbs for my application(sohc)
either that or have my stock one shaved down to 12lbs..
Old 10-04-2004, 12:46 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (Tad)

does the fidaza flywheel have a replacable friction surface?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:50 PM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (Kendall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kendall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> There are no cons whatsoever to using the lightest damn flywheel you can get. Anyone who says otherwise has little or no experience in the matter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Try turning your A/C on in a B16 with a light weight flywheel and pulling out into traffic from a dead stop.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thebense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thebense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the fidaza flywheel have a replacable friction surface?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe so yes,
Old 10-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what a/c?
Old 10-04-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thebense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thebense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the fidaza flywheel have a replacable friction surface?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it does. I have the 7.5lb flywheel and I love it. The rpm's do drop faster but it's nothing really dramatic. 1st gear does have a noticeable change though. I have no problem driving my car everday to school and work. Get the fidanza you'll be happy.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:31 PM

Default Re: (8krdline)

is it really true that you lose torque if you get a lighter flywheel? just wanted to know...
Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMish)

I have been running a fidanza in a B series for about 3 weeks and love it.... best mod yet, revs alot faster, better rev matching and if you don't drive like a grandma the difference in loss of rpm's while shifting is barely noticeable. if at all, This is in a B16, not to mention revs dropping faster will save your brakes too! Got mine 2day air for $199. it has a replaceable surface as well. from me.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Try turning your A/C on in a B16 with a light weight flywheel and pulling out into traffic from a dead stop.</TD></TR></TABLE>HaHa! I know how that feels!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it really true that you lose torque if you get a lighter flywheel? just wanted to know...</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're supposed to gain torque, i dont know where you heard you'd lose it.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:49 AM

I say lighter the better, ya it will drop faster but, it will make the engine match the tranny alot quicker than a heavier flywheel
Old 10-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blaster834)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blaster834 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say lighter the better, ya it will drop faster but, it will make the engine match the tranny alot quicker than a heavier flywheel</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm, thats a good point isnt it!

I remember in gran turismo I loved that tranny mod that let your revs match to the next gear way quicker.
I dont remember exactly which mod it was though,
was probly lightened flywheel.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sup tomi...

i see you're lookin' into the flywheel again... like we discussed earlier, do it right the first time

something around 9lbs. sounds good for the d15b. i'm happy with the 13lb. one, but could be happier. then again, boost will fix that.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:49 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (blaster834)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blaster834 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say lighter the better, ya it will drop faster but, it will make the engine match the tranny alot quicker than a heavier flywheel</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only area a lightweight flywheel really affects is off idle response or in stop and go traffic. Once you're moving it's fine but the lack of rotational mass causes you to have to rev your engine up everytime you want to start moving or merge out in traffic from a dead stop. I love my lightweight flywheel but that's where I noticed the biggest difference. With the heavy stock flywheel I use to be able to just let the clutch out or lightly blip the throttle to get it moving in traffic.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lightweight flywheel question (bgoetz)

lighter equals better throttle response... not heavier. and yes.. the heavier ones do give more inertia thus smoother shifts because you are staying at higher RPMs when shifting. but i will always stay with my light weight flywheel. i love the smoothness and it feels awesome with heeltoe
Old 10-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The only area a lightweight flywheel really affects is off idle response or in stop and go traffic. Once you're moving it's fine but the lack of rotational mass causes you to have to rev your engine up everytime you want to start moving or merge out in traffic from a dead stop. I love my lightweight flywheel but that's where I noticed the biggest difference. With the heavy stock flywheel I use to be able to just let the clutch out or lightly blip the throttle to get it moving in traffic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i noticed the same thing... i thought it was a leak or something... i did a compression test and it was fine. i forgot that i had a ligher flywheel
Old 10-05-2004, 10:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you're supposed to gain torque, i dont know where you heard you'd lose it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I heard it from a couple of friends. just wanted to see. thanx
Old 10-05-2004, 10:10 AM
All Motor Mentor

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I heard it from a couple of friends. just wanted to see. thanx</TD></TR></TABLE>

They probably said that because of the way the car feels off idle, but that's a mass/inertia issue rather than a torque issue.

Quick Reply: lightweight flywheel question