Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lights dimming/flickering while dimming... Sometimes?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights dimming/flickering while dimming... Sometimes?

So, I seem to be having an interesting problem with my 97 HX that I bought about 2 months ago. This has happened three times in those two months so while it won't really be that much of problem to have to reset radio presets - it'll start to get annoying after a while.

Problem: When driving back from work at night (about a 40 mile drive of which 35 of it is straight freeway, lots of hills, headlights on the whole time, stereo on the whole way too) I'll pull into town off the freeway and brake for the first light. My headlights, center console lights, and dash lights will all flicker and dim slightly. When I arrive at home turning the car off kills the entire electrical system for about 1-2 seconds completely resetting the stereo. After the lights, stereo, and everything electrical comes back on the car starts normally and the problem is gone - until the next time.

Troubleshooting so far:
-I've tried turning the stereo off, but this doesn't help with the problem. The whole cars electrical system dies regardless of the stereo being on or off when I shut the car off while this problem is happening.

Well... I haven't really done much troubleshooting on the problem because when it comes around I'm headed home from work and just want to go to bed (Swingshift) not grabbing a multi-meter and probing around. :/

If anyone can give me some pointers on where to even start looking it'd give me the motivation to actually do something about it.