Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lights dimming

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lights dimming

headlights, tail lights, dash lights are dimming from full to half bright like a blinker when the car is on. whats weird is that when you first start the car everything is normal, but when you jab on the gas the lights start flashing. Also the speedometer is jumping all the way up to 100MPH in neutral!! but im assuming this is the speed sensor that needs to be replaced. can anybody tell me whats going on...Im thinking its either the battery or alternator.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: lights dimming (BigIslandBoi)

do a system voltage test, every honda ive ever owned has lights that are dimmar at an idle, and once you start moving , the lights get a tad brighter. so i cna assume that is normal, you might has a short somewhere around there, for some reason, lights, car running, alternator problems, and the infamous speed sensor jumping around problem all seem to occur at the same time i would start looking at your wiring if you messed with it at all, on some civics, the brackets can rub the wires apart, which is a factory recall, cant remember the years, but its something to look into. check all your grounds, and any wires that were spliced, i had a problem like that in the past, where the al fuse blew, and the speedo didnt work, id replace it drive a few minutes , and it would do it again, it ended up being my second o2 sensor wires, which i dont use because i have an obd1 b16a, and they touched the shifter linkage, messing up the next five days for me.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:12 PM

Default Re: lights dimming (BigIslandBoi)

bump
Old 08-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

waddup....homie....out here in hawaii reppin it...you know how we do....you checked out the guys at full race yet while your out there in AZ....tell my friend Aaron cliff said sup.....ohhh BTW its most likely a ground or your alternator
Old 08-18-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Re: (tempsohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tempsohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">waddup....homie....out here in hawaii reppin it...you know how we do....you checked out the guys at full race yet while your out there in AZ....tell my friend Aaron cliff said sup.....ohhh BTW its most likely a ground or your alternator</TD></TR></TABLE>

aww yeah i know Aaron. if you talking about the the guy with the turbo integra I cruise with him sometimes.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah tell him i said sup....he dont answer my calls anymore....he used to roll with our crew before he went up to az....Team Undefined.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: lights dimming (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do a system voltage test, every honda ive ever owned has lights that are dimmar at an idle, and once you start moving , the lights get a tad brighter. so i cna assume that is normal, you might has a short somewhere around there, for some reason, lights, car running, alternator problems, and the infamous speed sensor jumping around problem all seem to occur at the same time i would start looking at your wiring if you messed with it at all, on some civics, the brackets can rub the wires apart, which is a factory recall, cant remember the years, but its something to look into. check all your grounds, and any wires that were spliced, i had a problem like that in the past, where the al fuse blew, and the speedo didnt work, id replace it drive a few minutes , and it would do it again, it ended up being my second o2 sensor wires, which i dont use because i have an obd1 b16a, and they touched the shifter linkage, messing up the next five days for me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i replaced a blown fuse under the dash yesterday and everything worked; alternator was putting out 14 volts, lights werent pulsing, and speedometer wasnt jumping around. After an hour of driving it started doing it again. It has to be a short because the fuse is blown again. Now how would you guys approach a short? Where would you start. Its a stock Civic so none of the cars wiring has been touched, well maybe for an after market deck but thats it.