Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lightened flywheel on b16a.... negative effects?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lightened flywheel on b16a.... negative effects?

i've been told that a light weight flywheel in traffic and city driving would use up my clutch fast because a b16 has no torque... wtf i donno if that makes any sense..

true or false?
Old 06-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: lightened flywheel on b16a.... negative effects? (blackcivic11)

fasle, well in my exp. its false. drive it and find out.

then i went to the exedy twin so, i cant even remember after that.

Modified by boostedcivicsir at 10:34 AM 6/19/2008
Old 06-19-2008, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lightened flywheel on b16a.... negative effects? (boostedcivicsir)

lol the expensive way
Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm not a fan of light weight flywheels on the B16A because the lighter flywheel takes more inertia to get it moving. Once you're above 600rpm it's nice and quick revving, but the same thing that makes it quicker to rev up also makes it quicker to drop revs, which means you really have to shift fast to keep the revs up.

I bought an LS swapped Civic with a lightweight flywheel and it feels to me like it sort of takes the low end grunt away some, but it does rev freer up top.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 1:12 PM 6/19/2008
Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally love them! I have tried them on the D16A6, B16A and B20Z which great results. The engines all became so much more free reving, a noticable kick in the pants.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had one in my b16a2 a few years back, had he Exedy 9lb flywheel combined with the Exedy organic clutch (stage 1 as some would refer to it is)

DD was fine, in fact it was MUCH better than the OEM 18lb flywheel... revved way faster, driving was no different and my quarter mile times shot down almost a pure half a second (no like, I'm pretty sure I still have my slips somewhere if I looked hard enough)

My opinion, do it! you won't regret it!! I don't have it anymore, I had to get rid of it and so my friend and I traded trannies (cuz i had the Quaife LSD) and flywheel clutch, he's still riding on it to this day (been about 2 years or more) and never had any problems
Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Declectic)

i have a 7.5lbs. fidanza flywheel so i've heard good things about it can't wait to start the rebuild!! thanks guys
Old 06-19-2008, 10:15 AM

one of the best mods I had done to by d15b, fidanza 7.6lbs & exedy stage 1.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, here's a topic I have something potentially useful to say about.

Just got back from the track. 1/8 mile drag racing. 89 hatch with a B16a.

Went from an 18 pound flywheel to a 12 pounds flywheel and a harder hitting clutch.

Car was .1-.2 slower than in the past. Had the slicks down to 8 pounds and launching at 7000, the car would fall off vtec. Didn't used to. Used to be able to launch a lot lower on the R's and stay on cam. Ended up inflating the slicks back up to 12 pounds to try and keep the R's up and on vtec and not bog a bit outta the hole.

Could be the clutch, but I don't think so. I had trouble maintaining good RPM outta the hole. Before the day was over, I was launching off the 3 step at 7700rpm. Still need a harder hit.

I'm going back to 18 pounds, OR, looking for a slightly heavier flywheel for a test. I had a D-series laying around, I thought it was like 22... that would be a cool weight to try. IMHO.

If you have Killer traction and drag racing it, I'm of the opinion, stock is better than light.

Modified by vectorsolid at 10:52 PM 6/22/2008
Old 06-22-2008, 09:28 PM

Default Re: lightened flywheel on b16a.... negative effects? (vectorsolid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vectorsolid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, here's a topic I have something potentially useful to say about. :thumbup"

Just got back from the track. 1/8 mile drag racing. 89 hatch with a B16a.

Went from an 18 pound flywheel to a 12 pounds flywheel and a harder hitting clutch.

Car was .1-.2 slower than in the past. Had the slicks down to 8 pounds and launching at 7000, the car would fall off vtec. Didn't used to. Used to be able to launch a lot lower on the R's and stay on cam. Ended up inflating the slicks back up to 12 pounds to try and keep the R's up and on vtec and not bog a bit outta the hole.

Could be the clutch, but I don't think so. I had trouble maintaining good RPM outta the hole. Before the day was over, I was launching off the 3 step at 7700rpm. Still need a harder hit.

I'm going back to 18 pounds, OR, looking for a slightly heavier flywheel for a test. I had a D-series laying around, I thought it was like 22... that would be a cool weight to try. IMHO.

If you have Killer traction and drag racing it, I'm of the opinion, stock is better than light.</TD></TR></TABLE>

true, a heavier flywheel would be better for straight line. since it keeps the inertia up on the launch, where as on a road course, it could be benifitial to have the the lighter flywheel, since the car is already moving and it takes less inertia from the flywheel to keep the car rolling since the car has momentum.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On my old b16 with an 11# flywheel I would notice that when coming to stops it would idle very low for a few seconds and then become normal. That was a totally stock b16 with just the flywheel and a header / exhaust for mods.

On my current b20vtec turbo setup, I have an 8# flywheel and when I first got it, it would often bog down when coming to a stop or completely stall. I fixed this by retuning it with a little more timing/fuel at idle and now it's ok.

Just some food for thought.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:58 PM

Frickr = True. the only real negative effect of a lightened flywheel is that launching suffers. But for autox, road racing and street driving benefit from a lightened flywheel.

I have read somewhere that in order for an engine to opperate it takes some where is the neighborhood of 50hp for a rotation.

As far as hpde's go one of the most important weight reductions come from the engine. Engine weight reduction (lighter flywheel, titanium internals, ect.) some of the cars in the rolex series are running bmw engines, they are focused on removing excess weight from the engine. (right before Lemans one team was trying to remove about 30 lbs from the top end.)
Old 06-24-2008, 05:13 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (dynimitejack)

I've had a 7.5lb Fidanza on my stock d16 for about 50,000 miles on an Exedy stage 1 clutch. This was after removing a somewhat (but not totally) worn out stock clutch that I'd driven on for 130,000 miles. Here's my experience:

It does pull a little better and is great for rev matching around corners and things. I think they're awesome for autocross and road racing.

It is slightly tougher to launch because it's harder to keep the rpms where they're supposed to be... it will over or under rev the friction point very easily, so it either bogs or slips quite a bit. I got used to it... but I tend to rev up a lot more now than I did on the stock to keep it from bogging.

My clutch is starting to chatter and slip a little bit. My stock clutch lasted 130,000 with me driving it, but this one has lasted about 50,000 with the light flywheel. I could probably continue driving this one another 80,000 miles, but I wouldn't want to.

So, my answer: I really like the feel of a superlight flywheel, but I'm going back to stock on my gsr swap for many of the reasons listed above.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:06 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (dynimitejack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dynimitejack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Frickr = True. the only real negative effect of a lightened flywheel is that launching suffers. But for autox, road racing and street driving benefit from a lightened flywheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

...but how many times do you start froma dead stop while driving daily?

I'm just saying it takes away from the initial take-off. It feels less torquey. I agree that for road race it's great, but i'd even argue that for auto-X it might not be ideal either because on low speed corners that are just fast enough to have to stay in 2nd gear rather than forcing it into 1st gear it will take that extra second to get the engine speed back up again because the lighter flywheel won't store as much energy.

Lighter flywheels are good to a certain extent too - the factory ITR flywheel is lighter than the GSR, but it's not waaaay lighter. It's a delicate balance between being light and so light that the bottom end grunt suffers.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vindicator9000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vindicator9000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've had a 7.5lb Fidanza on my stock d16 for about 50,000 miles on an Exedy stage 1 clutch. This was after removing a somewhat (but not totally) worn out stock clutch that I'd driven on for 130,000 miles. Here's my experience:

It does pull a little better and is great for rev matching around corners and things. I think they're awesome for autocross and road racing.

It is slightly tougher to launch because it's harder to keep the rpms where they're supposed to be... it will over or under rev the friction point very easily, so it either bogs or slips quite a bit. I got used to it... but I tend to rev up a lot more now than I did on the stock to keep it from bogging.

My clutch is starting to chatter and slip a little bit. My stock clutch lasted 130,000 with me driving it, but this one has lasted about 50,000 with the light flywheel. I could probably continue driving this one another 80,000 miles, but I wouldn't want to.

So, my answer: I really like the feel of a superlight flywheel, but I'm going back to stock on my gsr swap for many of the reasons listed above.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Staged clutches don't last as long as stock clutches. More friction creates more wear.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lightened flywheel on b16a.... negative effects? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not a fan of light weight flywheels on the B16A because the lighter flywheel takes more inertia to get it moving. [/i]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe you meant to write something else but intertia is not the word. Intertia is something wanting to stay at rest or staying in motion. In this case a lighter flywheel would would be easier to begin spinning faster than a heavy flywheel. At the same time it is easier to slow it down from spinning fast (hence why you have to shift faster with a lighter fly).

By adding a lighter flywheel you are just reducing dead weight (same concept as lightening your wheels) . The only real downside to alighter flywheel is launching the car. The launching window is alot smaller than with a heavier flywheel. I think this is why most people don't recomend them for drag racing.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: lightened flywheel on b16a.... negative effects? (Civicman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe you meant to write something else but intertia is not the word. Intertia is something wanting to stay at rest or staying in motion. In this case a lighter flywheel would would be easier to begin spinning faster than a heavy flywheel. At the same time it is easier to slow it down from spinning fast (hence why you have to shift faster with a lighter fly).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes what I mean is it's harder to get it started from a dead stop.

on me y0!