Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lifter tick, will it go away?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifter tick, will it go away?

I had an oil leak and my car sat around and leaked. My drove it around and the engine light turned on. I was 3 qts low on oil. Now my head is tickin, quessin its the lifters.

Should I buy a new motor or just re-build mine? I dont have that much moneyso i would have to save up for a few months to get a new motor. But in all reality would it be worth the money to buy a new motor or re-build my b16?
Old 01-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lifter tick, will it go away? (slow99si)

have you try open the motor up?!
Old 01-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try a vavle adjustment
Old 01-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Lifters?

Are you kidding, or what?

Your engine doesn't have conventional "lifters" that can get noisy like old V8s. The valves can be out of adjustment and make tapping noises, but that's not usually a result of being low on oil.

What does result from being 3 quarts low could be a rod knocking from driving while you have little or no oil pressure because your engine is used to having 4.25 quarts in it. 1.25 quarts is not safe to drive on bro.

I suggest you take your car to a PROFESSIONAL and have it checked out. Not trying to be a dick, but it sounds like you're not familiar enough to be diagnosing problems and determining if you need another engine and/or rebuild.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

How could you let it get that low on oil and not notice? Didn't your oil light come on? If oyu are getting a ticking sound then it is either valves or lifters. If you are getting a pounding or knocking sound, based on how this occured, I'm going to go ahead and say that it would be rod knock. I'd tear down the motor and see what the problem actually is, and then decide from there what to do.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

put more oil in and drive for a few day to see if it will go away!!
Old 01-04-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Re: (HATCHingMN)

Thanks guys... i dont know much about cars and lifter tick is what someone asked me and he said do a motor swap but i dont have the money...i'll break it down and look at it
Old 01-04-2004, 07:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow99si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had an oil leak and my car sat around and leaked. My drove it around and the engine light turned on. I was 3 qts low on oil. </TD></TR></TABLE>

oil starved engines usually have spun bearings, they make a knocking noises
Old 01-04-2004, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lifter tick, will it go away? (MaxSterling)

my Mazda truck ticks like crazy when i forget to change my oil and its 500 miles over due. something u can try. i know a few people who run that engine cleaner stuff thats supposed to clean out all the carbon, and oil burns off the inside of the engine. or if your cheap like my neighbor. and u think the motor is shot. add a 1/2 quart of kerosene and run the car for 3-5mins, drain the oil, run for 20 mins, drain the oil and hope your tick is gone. otherwise u prolly did internal damage. read up on the whole kerosene idea and don't blame me if it ruins your motor. its an old trick thats been passed around my area on how to get rid of stick lifters and valves.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:29 PM

Default Re: lifter tick, will it go away? (bmcc72)

my old 626 ticked when i kinda forgot to change the oil, but after i had it changed the ticking went away completely .. weird
Old 01-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (slow99si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow99si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys... i dont know much about cars and lifter tick is what someone asked me and he said do a motor swap but i dont have the money...i'll break it down and look at it</TD></TR></TABLE>

So everytime something comes up you'll just do a motor swap?
Not <u>1</u> time when my car has messed up have i just threw parts at it.
What kind of oil leak leaks 3+ quarts?

You ovasly dont care to much for your motor or you wouldnt of let a leak get that bad.

The way i see it is it could be major and it could be minor.
If you attempted to drive on it with 1.25 quarts of oil for a while then I'm almost 100% sure you've internally ruined something.Let us know the verdict.

Goodluck
Old 01-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: lifter tick, will it go away? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How could you let it get that low on oil and not notice? Didn't your oil light come on? If oyu are getting a ticking sound then it is either valves or lifters. If you are getting a pounding or knocking sound, based on how this occured, I'm going to go ahead and say that it would be rod knock. I'd tear down the motor and see what the problem actually is, and then decide from there what to do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lifters?

Are you kidding, or what?

Your engine doesn't have conventional "lifters" that can get noisy like old V8s. The valves can be out of adjustment and make tapping noises, but that's not usually a result of being low on oil.

What does result from being 3 quarts low could be a rod knocking from driving while you have little or no oil pressure because your engine is used to having 4.25 quarts in it. 1.25 quarts is not safe to drive on bro.

I suggest you take your car to a PROFESSIONAL and have it checked out. Not trying to be a dick, but it sounds like you're not familiar enough to be diagnosing problems and determining if you need another engine and/or rebuild.</TD></TR></TABLE>

After he explained about the lifters.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:41 AM
Former Moderator

Something's terribly wrong with this statement:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow99si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know much about cars...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont have the money...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sucks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'll break it down and look at it</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you don't know much about cars and you have no money, but you're going to try and break it down and look at it? No offense but how will you even know what you're looking for? you can't just go tearing into an engine chasing a ghost of a problem with no clue about what you're doing - that will end up costing you more money.

SAVE UP THE MONEY AND HAVE A PROFESSIONAL DIAGNOSE YOUR ENGINE NOISE FOR YOU.

I'm all about the do it yourself approach, but from what you've stated this is not your best option. I have a feeling this could end up being one of those times where someone tears an engine down only to have no clue how it goes back together, so he has to pay somneone else to put it back together anyways.

All that work when all you might need is a valve adjustment.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:44 AM
New User

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

The only honda/acura I know with lifters are the older 88-90 legends...

EDIT: I agree, take it into a shop. Before you drive there, add some oil.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:48 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (976)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 976 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only honda/acura I know with lifters are the older 88-90 legends...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes and they begin to tick loud as hell when they are cold after someone neglects the 3000 mile oil changes.

I see those ticking legends on a daily basis here at the shop.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

think about this, I dont know much about cars. can I stress I any more? i do have family and friends...not that much money means not 5K for a b18c5 and to just throw parts at it...i dont think so. i just wanted input not smartass remarks. i'll put a new motor in if the cost washes out, oh yeah and its snowing by me and my car has been sitting around, my oil pan has a hole/dent in it where it was leaking. i pulled over on rt20 and i ran over a rock but thought it was fine, guess not. My life isnt my car, i like my car but i dont care for it to know everything about it. sorry my bad. i'll go huddle in a corner with my honda tech. peace
Old 01-05-2004, 05:41 PM

Default Re: lifter tick, will it go away? (USDMDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

After he explained about the lifters. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh no...I posted about lifters and i guess i was wrong, but maybe its just the fact that im used to building old BMW's and that may be the reason i said it. no need to point out a simple mistake like that when it was already cleared up by others. if it makes you happy i will remove lifters from my previous post.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:20 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by slow99si
think about this, I dont know much about cars. can I stress I any more?
That's fine bro. I'm not being an *** about this at all. If you don't know much about cars then look around your local area and find a trusted shop that DOES know about them so you can get your car fixed without wasting time and money of your own trying different things.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i do have family and friends...</TD></TR></TABLE>

So what does that mean? Are you trying to get personal, or what? this has nothing to do with this topic whatsoever.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not that much money means not 5K for a b18c5 and to just throw parts at it...i dont think so. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh so I must have a lot of loot because I have a B18C5 then, right? Not really. you drive a 99-00 Civic Si which is certainly more expensive than any 1992 CX with a Type R engine, so you my friend have more moiney in your car than I do.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just wanted input not smartass remarks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You misinterpreted my remarks as being "smart ***" in nature then. i simply posted a logical breakdown of why your post did not make sense. you say you don't know a lot about cars, yet you are willing to tear your engine apart even though you'll have no clue what you're doing - that is not smart man.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'll put a new motor in if the cost washes out,</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you would simply knock that big-*** chip off of your shoulder and really listen to my advice you'd probably find that you might not need an entirely new engine. I don't get my kicks by trying to make you or anyone else feel stupid man. I am offering up the best advice that I can. Not evryone is mechanically inclined, so for those people there are shops that can properly diagnose and repair problems.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My life isnt my car,</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine neither. Far from it. I have some free time at work (at a shop) where I can post in this forum and try to help others. I'd say my fiancee' whom I've been with for 8 tears and my band come before my silly car. I don't have message boards to support those two things, and even if I did I doubt thousands of people wopuld care to browse them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like my car but i dont care for it to know everything about it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Again that's why you should spare yourself the headaches and potential extra money loss and take your car to a professional. How many more times do you need to read this before it sinks in?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry my bad. i'll go huddle in a corner with my honda tech. peace</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well YOU are being the smartass, not me. I understand that it's frustrating to post your woes on a message board and not get much concrete info, but we cannot e-diagnose your problem so easily.

First of all you never once mentioned beforehand that you hit a big rock and dented your oil pan. How can we help you if you don't tell the whole story?

Secondly no matter what you post we still won't be able to diagnose the car as good as a local qualified and trusted Honda mechanic. All we can do is post what might help, and that's exactly what I did.

If you cannot read someone else pointing out that you should not be tearing your engine apart because you've already admitted to knowing little about cars, then you need to stop browsing the forum then.

I've been working in shops for years now and I've done suspension installs, engine swaps, axles, brakes, etc. and I've only just now recently torn an engine down and rebuilt it as well as a tranny. I'd consider myself to be pretty mechanically inclined and still I'm not 100% enthused about tearing an engine down and rebuilding it.

If you really want to learn then I suggest you but a Helm manual http://www.helminc.com and start reading. I'm not so sure I'd want the first engine I tore down to be my only mode of transportation though.

If you cannot take my suggestions without getting your feelings hurt then I don't what else to say.

Good luck.