Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Life expectancy of a brake booster

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life expectancy of a brake booster

Just wondering what the average life expectancy is of a brake booster. I'm trying to figure out if I should be buying a used one or a refurbished one.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Life expectancy of a brake booster (FuNkDrSpOt)

I would buy either or. Just if you get a refurb'd one, make sure it has a lifetime warranty.

I know for a fact that the company called A1 Cardon makes lifetime stuff, as well as Wagner. So it is really up to you. Most parts stores only deal with refurbs of those type parts anyways. Like I said, if you are worried about how long it will last, get something with a good warranty.

I know for a fact that A1 makes all their units from OEM parts. Like, in a brake booster, the casing, pushrods springs, and the check vacuum vlaves and disgphrams are all oem parts. So there are a good quality. It is just up to you how you want to go with it.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Life expectancy of a brake booster (.Red.EM2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .Red.EM2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would buy either or. Just if you get a refurb'd one, make sure it has a lifetime warranty.

I know for a fact that the company called A1 Cardon makes lifetime stuff, as well as Wagner. So it is really up to you. Most parts stores only deal with refurbs of those type parts anyways. Like I said, if you are worried about how long it will last, get something with a good warranty.

I know for a fact that A1 makes all their units from OEM parts. Like, in a brake booster, the casing, pushrods springs, and the check vacuum vlaves and disgphrams are all oem parts. So there are a good quality. It is just up to you how you want to go with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info but I'm simply asking for the life expectancy of a brake booster....or do those things pretty much last forever for the most part? The only reason I mentioned what options I had was because if a brake booster usually lasts 100-200k then I might want to just pick up a used one.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would buy new, but that's just me. It's only your brakes you're dealing with.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've only ever seen 1 repaced, and I worked in a fairly busy shop for over 2 years.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Life expectancy of a brake booster (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've only ever seen 1 repaced, and I worked in a fairly busy shop for over 2 years.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good to know. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Life expectancy of a brake booster (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've only ever seen 1 repaced, and I worked in a fairly busy shop for over 2 years.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah they don't usually go. I've never had one on my car go.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Life expectancy of a brake booster (Syndacate)

I had to replace mine at about 170k.

But then again this is when i severely beat on my car. slamm'n on the breaks etc.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Life expectancy of a brake booster (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah they don't usually go. I've never had one on my car go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow that's so pertinant, considering your 18. means you've owned your car for what? 2 years?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Life expectancy of a brake booster (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow that's so pertinant, considering your 18. means you've owned your car for what? 2 years?</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha
Old 10-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In 18 years I have only had to replace 1 brake booster and that was on a car that was 25 years old at the time and had several owners before me. I think you are not going to have much of a problem.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (-Gary-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -Gary- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would buy new, but that's just me. It's only your brakes you're dealing with.</TD></TR></TABLE>have you ever checked the price on new ones? They are well over $500 new. As for reman, I haven't had the best luck. 2 outa 5 I have gotten refurb were not good. Ended up just pulling a used one outa the junkyard for $20. Refurb are about $125.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow that's so pertinant, considering your 18. means you've owned your car for what? 2 years?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Irrelavant when you consider how many cars I've been through.

EDIT:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In 18 years I have only had to replace 1 brake booster and that was on a car that was 25 years old at the time and had several owners before me. I think you are not going to have much of a problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My point still remains sound.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Brake boosters usually last along time. Its usually just the seal from the booster to the master cylinder that gets old and stuff and needs to be replaced after awhile.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just wondering what the average life expectancy is of a brake booster. </TD></TR></TABLE>
On Hondas they usually last the life of the car.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Life expectancy of a brake booster (Chiovnidca)

Cool. I'll just save $150 and buy a used one from a junk yard then. I bought a brand new Brake master cylinder, so that's why i was asking about the booster