Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Let's all help improve the forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 07:04 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Let's all help improve the forum

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Improve:To raise to a more desirable or more excellent quality or condition; make better. </TD></TR></TABLE>

As we all know there has been lot's of new members and lot's of new posts.
Some of the new members may be alright, but some of the posts aren't.

In my honest opinion, I think to prevent people from posting the wrong stuff in the forum is to be harsh on them. My example of being harsh = rude,post rules,constantly remind them what they done wrong.

Report the threads that don't belong here.

Some of you may know me and not like me because i was rude to you in a thread,etc. I'm just tired of the forum being filled with idiots.. and i appologize.

When i first came to honda-tech 717 days ago..

This forum was fun to be in and you were constantly learning new stuff... Now it's full of stuff that you see every day periodically.

Also it seems pretty much every thing the new comers post has already been covered.. To help out link them to search or search for them.

Let's get some sort of respect going on around here and make this place better..

Anyone with me?

Old 01-10-2005, 07:09 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Let's all help improve the forum (Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also it seems pretty much every thing the new comers post has already been covered.. To help out link them to search or search for them.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wonder why...maybe its because they are CIVICS and everything that can be done to them already has?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Let's get some sort of respect going on around here and make this place better..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What does that mean?
Old 01-10-2005, 07:11 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Let's all help improve the forum (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wonder why...maybe its because they are CIVICS and everything that can be done to them already has?

What does that mean?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Meaning be nicer to the newer members..

Or like tom says before flame with an education.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimmy, it is human nature to seek the easiest route to a problem. And that basically equates to asking the question rather than trying to discover it yourself.

Also, most people with technical questions here don't know jack about cars and, in my opinion, only ask these questions to support what their mechanic will say when they get their car fixed.

You do have a good point as i am sick of answering the same posts all the time i.e. car not starting, how do i fix this ecu code, bla bla bla..

But it is my choice to come here and answer these posts. I could go elsewhere. I may be rude, sometimes i will even make fun of people, but that is my choice.

fs
Old 01-10-2005, 07:15 AM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: Let's all help improve the forum (BauleyCivic)

I think for the most part this stuff is already being done...

reporting threads and telling people to search... people are going to ask the same stuff over and over again, this is really going to happen especially with new users.

This forum is very useful still and i think adding bauley and ricey has even made it much more better and respectable.

my .02
Old 01-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Let's all help improve the forum (kKdARIAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kKdARIAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think for the most part this stuff is already being done...

reporting threads and telling people to search... people are going to ask the same stuff over and over again, this is really going to happen especially with new users.

This forum is very useful still and i think adding bauley and ricey has even made it much more better and respectable.

my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Let's all help improve the forum (filthy_shovel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthy_shovel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jimmy, it is human nature to seek the easiest route to a problem. And that basically equates to asking the question rather than trying to discover it yourself.

Also, most people with technical questions here don't know jack about cars and, in my opinion, only ask these questions to support what their mechanic will say when they get their car fixed.

You do have a good point as i am sick of answering the same posts all the time i.e. car not starting, how do i fix this ecu code, bla bla bla..

But it is my choice to come here and answer these posts. I could go elsewhere. I may be rude, sometimes i will even make fun of people, but that is my choice.

fs</TD></TR></TABLE>

I hear you.. But i think we should at least help or try to cut down on them.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:31 AM

I think asking questions is fine. Isn't life a big cycle itself? The stuff we ask or do has been done over and over again in the past, and I am not talking about just cars.

I guess what I am trying to say is, nothing is new under the sun. The whole point of "teaching" is to pass on the knowledge to another person. Elementary school gets new students every year, and I am damn sure that the kids will ask the same thing over and over again. It is a stage of the life, a stage of the learning curve. I don't see school teacher telling a grade 6 student to "search", unless it is an ISP in which the student is specifically asked to do a research on his/her own.

Some kids love to ask questions, some pretty much kept it to themselves. Same thing with car-loving people. We all started fresh, whether 1 year ago, 2, 5 or even 10. Some where along the line, we were all noobs and we were lucky that people back then, reached out and helped us, gave us helpful answers instead of "GFY".

I do a lot of search on H-T. I think it is fun. Some people get with the program faster than others, that's no big deal. If you know an answer to someone's question and don't mind the time to type it out, then please do so. If you don't wish to help out, then just skip the thread and proceed to the next interesting topic. I usually, and have never typed "search" in any thread, cause to me, that is not helping, rather, it is annoying.

I learned things from H-T so if new comers need some help, I am more than happy to give answers to what I know.

Archive is like library, but when you ask something in real life, I am almost guarantee that you either get "oh I know the answer to this question" or "sorry man, I don't know. Maybe you can ask John". But almost never, ever, will someone tell you to "search it in your local library".
Old 01-10-2005, 07:33 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord, why don’t we?
We all know that people are the same where ever we go
There is good and bad in ev’ryone,
We learn to live, we learn to give
Each other what we need to survive together alive.

Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord why don’t we?

Ebony, ivory living in perfect harmony
Ebony, ivory, ooh

Ebony, ivory living in perfect harmony (repeat and fade)
Old 01-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Let's all help improve the forum (falcongsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falcongsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord, why don’t we?

Ebony, ivory living in perfect harmony
Ebony, ivory, ooh

Ebony, ivory living in perfect harmony (repeat and fade)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where did j00 get that?
Old 01-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where did j00 get that?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Before your time young man.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Let's all help improve the forum (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Before your time young man. </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha.. so it's some ancient ****,huh?

Old 01-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're right. Lets start with this thread. No Tech in this one. JUST KIDDING

You're right we should be nicer, but you know with the questions that we come across sometimes are lame. Then you try to help correct that person and they tell you that you don't know what you're talking about. Then the flaming begins....
Old 01-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

jimmy has some good points, and I do agree that we should help in making this place better and clean up some of the same threads that are posted over and over again....but I believe if we are friendly, courteous and stern about it, and at the same time provide assistance, then that might be a better route to take then to rude and flame. I dunno...thats my opinion I guess.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Let's all help improve the forum (WongFeihung)

You're right just like Jimmy, but I think the real problem is when people don't read the rules and then the flaming is the end result. I've watch Honda-tech for a couple of years before becoming a member. The first thing I did was read the forum rules when I joined. That's what needs to happen. That's my opinion.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Let's all help improve the forum (Del Sizzle)

flaming accomplishes nothing - basic communications major/psychology stuff says that negative communication very rarely ever helps anything.

Learning constitutes free expression and communication. From bringing up old thoughts and ideas, eventually - yes...new material does surface. There are very few subjects on this and any other board that have been covered so extensively that a single thread could answer a persons questions. I can only think of a few dozen threads or so that are actually THAT intelligent - a lot of it is just people posting up "what they know" - that they just heard from someone else who was probably speculating to begin with.

For example, for a LONG time people said that a H23/H22 head could not be put on a F22 Block - and I bet that if I were to ask RIGHT NOW, someone would say it couldn't be done especially "for the cost".... Now, if people hadn't continuously asked this.... no one would have EVENTUALLY descided to go out and prove them wrong - and they did....and the result of that is on this board. If no one had eventually gotten the nerve to at least TRY It...no technological advance would have been made..

*steps down from soap box*

- Nathan
Old 01-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any question you may have can be answered from a Helm's manual, so why do we even have a forum??

haha j/k... but it's true... swaps just require more than one manual, that's all.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Global Moderator

Well i don't see any problems with flaming.. just if your going to flame or get onto someone..Like i said about what tom has said before ''flame with an education'' meaning teach them at the same time.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Jimmy)

During the day theres not that much problems Sure well see the same H vs B or B vs D threads but thats what everyone asks there first time around. To be new is that, that you ask things that you dont know for a new answer.

Now at night is another story because there arent that many mods on to close the threads, i dont expect there to be, after all its night your suppose to be asleep but for the people that cant sleep theres alot of stupid worth less threads.

I say just keep reporting threads, thats all we could do, were all here to have a good time and learn something. I say flame, i say be rude, i say enjoy what you tell people. But at the same time, make sure what your saying is correct or else youll be flamed 10times over. Now if there arent anymore good threads here, im going back to Gran Turisimo 3. Thank you
Old 01-10-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php Here this video will help out the new people!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Re: (dadeboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dadeboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> http://albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php Here this video will help out the new people!</TD></TR></TABLE> - Oh lord, that's funny!!!!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jimmy)

Nothing is worse than an newbie starting a thread about "best exhaust", a thread that has been covered 476548 times. 9 times out of 10 they dont even pay attention to what they are typing. It is like they type a 20 sentence paragraph with their eyes closed, then just hit post.

It annoys me so much that someone can be that stupid.

I flame the hell out of them, but I answer their question at the same time.

Also wouldnt it be considered "post whoring" if all you do is tell some one to search?

just my .03
Old 01-10-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: (wagonis)

I seen it today on another forum and it just killed me, I must have watched it time allready.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: (dadeboy)

Im just a dick, and tell people to search, or I do a search using about 3 simple keywords that any idiot could have found in about 45 seconds on their own, and THEN shove that in their face.

And sometimes I'm not sure if I'm flaming with the right info, but I just cross my fingers and go for it anyways!

Granted I'm pretty new here, but spend a week reading here and you pretty much figure out how stuff works.

Popular threads:
-OMFG Brake conversion
-Which ecu do I need for XX motor
-Which motor is t3h bestest!!??
-How shud EYE pimp mah r1de??
-Where do I buy..........masking tape, or chewing gum
-turbo d or b-series?
-which motor mounts do I need for a swap thats been done 4,000^3 and has 3,000 How-tos written up on it
-Check out my t1t3 @55 ride, I just got it, and its 100% stock, pimpness!
-is this a good price for this motor?
-I unplugged my battery and put a huge gash in my fuel line when I dropped the battery while taking it out, why wont my car start now?
-Actually helpful DIY posts.

etc etc.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

I read through this thread, and I kept thinking to myself, this sounds soo much like a company meeting.

There will always be people who don't read the rules, who will just post up a question without searching, or whatever. You can't get rid of that. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthy_shovel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jimmy, it is human nature to seek the easiest route to a problem. And that basically equates to asking the question rather than trying to discover it yourself.

fs</TD></TR></TABLE>

filthy_shovel pretty much said it all right there.

A lot of people on HT are new to cars in general, most have never swapped an engine, or taken off the head, etc.. So when they attempt something for their first time and run into a problem, they feel the need to post about it without searching first, even though, more than likely, its been covered before. Why? They feel its user specific to them. They think someone else may have had a similiar problem, but not the EXACT same problem they have. I feel like this sometimes too, IE when im working on a computer or something and it's just not bein nice to me.

That's my contribution to this thread.

Quick Reply: Let's all help improve the forum