Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Legality

Old 03-23-2006, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legality

I have APC taillights and was pulled over by local cops for clear marker lights on the side. The cops told me to replace the clear lights with an Amber and i should be fine. I said sure and did so, but last night i was pulled over by the Pa State Police and was told that I had altered the original manufacturer's tail lights and needed to put the stock lights back on. He gave me a warning and 5 days to replace. I looked on the light today and saw this stamp on the bottom--
APC 40.4161 TLR SAE AIRST 89 DOT
Does this make them legal?
TMB3375
93' Sol
TIA
Old 03-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Legality (tmb3375)

sorta...

check with the manufacturer and also check your local laws regarding aftermarket parts and lighting.

Sometime is it is legal, sometimes not. Generally the SAE DOT bevel means it is, but that is not always the case.

Just take the lights off and put the stockers on, you wont get noticed as much for standing out with white tails.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They are probobly legal but u still shouldn't have that ricey **** on your car
Old 03-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did he give you one of these?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:50 AM

Default Re: (Rev2Eight_EM1)

[IMG][/IMG]
like the ticket nice
Old 03-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-23-2006, 11:07 AM

the lights ARE legal... everyone and their moms use to have altezzas on. the cop is just tryna be a dick or he's ignorant. or he's jdm. one of those

but yea take that ugly **** off your car man
Old 03-23-2006, 11:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rev2Eight_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did he give you one of these?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, thats great...never seen that before.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ZipTieGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZipTieGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the lights ARE legal... everyone and their moms use to have altezzas on.</TD></TR></TABLE>Just because everyone's breaking the law doesn't mean the law doesn't exist. I'll grant you that these kind of laws don't exist in every area, or even in every town, but they do exist in some spots, and are completely enforceable - in those spots.

Generally the rule is that the appropriate lights need to be the correct color - how they came from the factory. If you replace your yellow turn signals with white turn signals, expect to be ticketed.

So long as the appropriate lights are in the correct locations, are the correct colors, and aren't otherwise distracting to the drivers around you (strobe, etc.), then you should be fine. However, it doesn't mean that you won't occasionally be pulled over and given a ticket based on a that particular college dropout's interpretation of the law.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:07 PM

Ok, heres the news... First off i bought the car with these lights installed, i dont have the stock ones. I dont like them, i'm not 16 lol. Second, i talked to the local police today and pretty much the long and the short of it is, if you have a bumper sticker on your car, its a violation. He said any cosmetic change to the appearance is illegal. Tint, (even though theres no % on the books in PA), Exhaust, tail lights, Rims, etc. He told me to go plead my case to the state police. I went over and laid it on real thick- poor college student- dont have the stock lights-bla bla bla... He gave me an extention on my time to find the new lights. It was five days,now i have til the 18th. Thanks for your input. i think the only thing im guilty of is the ticket that was issued to me on this thread!

Tmb3375
(residing in communist Germany)
Old 03-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PA STATE LAW (via a legally done State Inspection)

The rear Lights on the car must all be RED in color. This includes Parking Lights and Brake Lights. The only lights that are to be WHITE in color are Reverse Lights and the License Plate Marker. Rear Turn Signals are to be RED (but im not 100% on this one)

The Front Lights are to be WHITE in color only, while the Turn signals are to be YELLOW (AMBER) or white. FOG lights are to be White or Yellow in color, only.

Fog Lights are NOT to be on while High Beams are on. (I learned this the hard way)

This is what i can remember off the top of my head thats written on the paper at work. Just put everything to OEM and call it a day. It keeps you out of trouble and less hassle
Old 03-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Legality (dohcdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rear Turn Signals are to be RED (but im not 100% on this one)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

they can also be amber/orange/STOCK
Old 03-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tmb3375 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, heres the news... First off i bought the car with these lights installed, i dont have the stock ones. I dont like them, i'm not 16 lol. Second, i talked to the local police today and pretty much the long and the short of it is, if you have a bumper sticker on your car, its a violation. He said any cosmetic change to the appearance is illegal. Tint, (even though theres no % on the books in PA), Exhaust, tail lights, Rims, etc. He told me to go plead my case to the state police. I went over and laid it on real thick- poor college student- dont have the stock lights-bla bla bla... He gave me an extention on my time to find the new lights. It was five days,now i have til the 18th. Thanks for your input. i think the only thing im guilty of is the ticket that was issued to me on this thread!

Tmb3375
(residing in communist Germany)</TD></TR></TABLE>

bumper stickers? I call bs, sounds like a dick cop to me. In the same frame of mind, if someone taps your car while they're parallel parking and they leave license plate bolt holes in your bumper, you can get pulled over because your car is cosmetically altered? hah.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tmb3375 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, heres the news... First off i bought the car with these lights installed, i dont have the stock ones. I dont like them, i'm not 16 lol. Second, i talked to the local police today and pretty much the long and the short of it is, if you have a bumper sticker on your car, its a violation. He said any cosmetic change to the appearance is illegal. Tint, (even though theres no % on the books in PA), Exhaust, tail lights, Rims, etc. He told me to go plead my case to the state police. I went over and laid it on real thick- poor college student- dont have the stock lights-bla bla bla... He gave me an extention on my time to find the new lights. It was five days,now i have til the 18th. Thanks for your input. i think the only thing im guilty of is the ticket that was issued to me on this thread!

Tmb3375
(residing in communist Germany)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont believe all cops, they arent 100% on the laws. Check the state DMV site for written proof.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ZipTieGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZipTieGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the lights ARE legal... everyone and their moms use to have altezzas on. the cop is just tryna be a dick or he's ignorant. or he's jdm. one of those
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The first few generations of APC taillights were sold for 'off road use only', meaning they were illegal. Since they got so popular, most are now dot approved, but that only makes them legal in certain states. I can see how the tail lights could be illegal because of their color, but he just added that bumper sticker **** to **** you off. I would go get a rainbow bumper sticker and slap it on the back of his cruiser for that comment.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:01 AM

He was telling you to take the ugly lights off, lol. Also the cops in that area are real dicks if I am thinking the right place. They will pull you over for doing 36 in the 35 through town.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:16 AM

I would go to the local BMV or library and do some research on your state vehicle code. The library will probably have a big book you can look through and find out everything you need to know.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civexturbo)

i got my sol stock tails, because as for you, mine came with the altezzas. I got them for 50 bucks shipped. Look around....if ur car is stock u wont run into any problems.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would go get a rainbow bumper sticker and slap it on the back of his cruiser for that comment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is CLASSIC!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:30 AM

Default Re: (civexturbo)

Do you live near me?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:40 AM

The bumper sticker was an exaggeration. His exact example was having a clear bulb in an amber lense. When i was talking to the local cop, i thought i was calling his bluff, then he went into the station and came back out with a book, and read to me. (I think it was mein kampf) Are the APC's worth anything? Im still lookin for stock lights, fifty bucks sounds about right?
Old 03-24-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (tmb3375)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tmb3375 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Are the APC's worth anything? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Put them on Ebay the week after FF3 hits theaters.

OEM's
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1
Old 03-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There was a class action lawsuite against APC due to the fact that the clear tails were illegal and APC was advertising them as 50 state legal. Actually, if you purchased APC tail lights between a certain set of dates you were entitled to part of the settlement.
The cop is not being a dick, your tails are illegal. APC is CRAP, always will be and it is bullshit that they can still mark an illegal product as DOT approved.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no modifications at all? Hell, I'd move.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:16 AM

lol. i stay in south africa the cops here dont giv a dam if yr cars modded..... we got minivan taxi's runnin round with out steering wheels - yea they attach a spanner and steer with that.

cant wait to get my 94 civic with b18b...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Legality