Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LED Bulb Conversion

Old 12-21-2016, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Bulb Conversion

I have a '97 Civic CX bone stock that I just bought. Which bulbs can I safely switch over to LEDs without issues, and without resistors and all that stuff?

The reason I'm asking, is because I also have a 2015 Nissan Micra, and I went to put led bulbs in the brake lights, and it put the car in limp mode. =P
Old 12-21-2016, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LED Bulb Conversion

the clap on led light with some double side duck tape may be the better option, it will be like Las Vegas at night ^,^ Subbed to thread I'm looking to do the same with the plain jane dome light!
Old 12-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, eventually I'd like to upgrade to LED lamps, but for now I'm going to run the stock ones until I get some more money together.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastarius
Well, eventually I'd like to upgrade to LED lamps, but for now I'm going to run the stock ones until I get some more money together.
Do you mean HIDs for the headlights? Not sure what you mean by "lamps".

In my 93 hatch I've changed the rear licence plate bulbs, dome light, retrofitted Integra map light, hatch/trunk light, climate control, cluster, and ashtray all to LED bulbs.

Still planning on changing the Si dash clock out to LED bulbs as well. Small LED bulbs like that throughout the interior as replacements just make the car look so much cleaner/nicer at night.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not HIDs. I'm not a goon. I won't put HIDs in halogen lenses. That's just ignorant. =P

What I meant was brake lights, license plate, reverse, interior dome light, and turn signals. I presume the turn signals will hyperflash without resistors.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Do you mean HIDs for the headlights? Not sure what you mean by "lamps".

In my 93 hatch I've changed the rear licence plate bulbs, dome light, retrofitted Integra map light, hatch/trunk light, climate control, cluster, and ashtray all to LED bulbs.

Still planning on changing the Si dash clock out to LED bulbs as well. Small LED bulbs like that throughout the interior as replacements just make the car look so much cleaner/nicer at night.
What LED bulbs did you use for the dome light? I've been using this one. The result? I have to turn the dome light switch to the ON position to light up, and when it does, it flickers until I tap on the plastic piece a few times for it to stabilize (albeit temporarily).

I would love to replace the entire interior lighting with LED bulbs for better visibility.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not HIDs. I'm not a goon. I won't put HIDs in halogen lenses. That's just ignorant. =P

What I meant was brake lights, license plate, reverse, interior dome light, and turn signals. I presume the turn signals will hyperflash without resistors.
Most of the bulbs can be swapped over including the cluster bulbs with the exception of the low fuel & CEL bulbs. The signals will hyperflash but you can simply upgrade to an LED compatible relay such as

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1998-honda-civic-hazard-warning-flasher?make=32&model=546&scc_id=1454&year=1998

You can probably also find one for your Nissan Micra & take your car OUT of limp mode. Also for newer cars you need to get CAN BUS compatible LEDs
Old 12-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Splicing load resistors into each turn signal bulb works well too. Did that on my Prelude way back in the day.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Splicing and hacking **** together is what I'm trying to avoid. Anything plug and play is great =P
Old 12-22-2016, 10:07 AM
Corvette Forum Member

To each is own. I figure if its going to be permanent, it doesnt really matter to me. Mine's not a show car haha
Old 12-23-2016, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

Splicing in resistors is soooo 2000's

Seriously though, just get the right flasher unit for $10 at Autozone and everything is plug & play. You also don't get the benefit of reduced electrical load if you use resistors. Your car is a '97 so there are no bulb sensors to upset.

I just recently did all Morimoto VF leds on my 2000 sedan and I'm 95% really happy with them. I wish the amber fronts were a little more amber (they're a little yellow for my taste) and they didn't have a red 194 for the inner tails, but everything came out great otherwise. They're brighter without looking like I'm dragging the brakes and fill the housings well. A little on the expensive side, but there is peace of mind in them being decent pieces and I rolled them into my Black Friday order so it was 25% off.

Make sure you get leds colored for whatever position you are putting them in. Don't get all clear/white. Get red for stops, amber for signals, etc.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:06 AM
Corvette Forum Member

What can I say? I've been out of the game for a while!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
Splicing in resistors is soooo 2000's

Seriously though, just get the right flasher unit for $10 at Autozone and everything is plug & play. You also don't get the benefit of reduced electrical load if you use resistors. Your car is a '97 so there are no bulb sensors to upset.

I just recently did all Morimoto VF leds on my 2000 sedan and I'm 95% really happy with them. I wish the amber fronts were a little more amber (they're a little yellow for my taste) and they didn't have a red 194 for the inner tails, but everything came out great otherwise. They're brighter without looking like I'm dragging the brakes and fill the housings well. A little on the expensive side, but there is peace of mind in them being decent pieces and I rolled them into my Black Friday order so it was 25% off.

Make sure you get leds colored for whatever position you are putting them in. Don't get all clear/white. Get red for stops, amber for signals, etc.
Thanks for the info. Now I just need to see what all the bulb numbers are that I need. Swapping out the cluster tonight for one with a tachometer. You said the cluster bulb is a 194?
Old 12-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't say a word about the cluster. Cluster bulbs are a mix. I haven't done them, the cost vs reward isn't as good for the cluster and the ones I've seen come out too bright. Bulbs will be a mix of 194, 174, 168

For 99-00 sedan (96-98 hatch should be similar but I'm not responsible for you not doing your homework)

Fronts are 1157, amber
Tails/stops are 7443
inner tails are 194 (hatch has no inners)
tags are 194
rear signals are 7440
reverse are 7440
high mount stop is 7440
Old 12-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.osram-americas.com/en-us...l=1036&make=52
Old 12-23-2016, 11:59 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

Splicing and hacking **** together is what I'm trying to avoid. Anything plug and play is great =P
Turn signals are the main ones requiring resistors in parallel which you usually have to work in yourself. The disadvantage of doing LED with the resistor is when the bulb does burn out, you don't get any indication due to the resistor. And I don't think it actually reduces draw also due to the resistor.

Most other bulbs can be changed to LED without much harm. Cheaper LED bulbs tend to flicker though so certain combos have challenges from what I've seen.

Personally I've switched my tail lights/brake lights to LED while leaving all blinkers normal. As well as the marker lights are normal as I noticed the LED bulb for my rear side marker caused my taillights to flicker.

Next for me will be the license plate bulb, the dome light and the rear center brake light.

I might also do my environmental control panel lights as they are burned out and the extra bright white probably won't be a major problem with that portion.

If you have a coupe or sedan you can also do the trunk light without issue.

And since I swapped my headlight lenses to projector low beams, my low beams are 6K color LED 38W 3800 Lumen LED bulbs. The high beams are halogen H1 bulbs. And I changed my turn signals to amber Night Hawk filament bulbs since the aftermarket lenses are not orange.

I have been thinking about changing my reverse lights to LED.

This is on the 5th gen Hatchback (95) though, but I don't think the 6th gen 96-98's are any finickier than the 5th gen. Not sure on the 99-00 as they did do some other changes to those years of the 6th gen.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's awesome, thank you. Most bulb guides show wierd bulb numbers that I don't recognize. This one is perfect.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Dash and HVAC bulbs are t5 or #74 bulbs. There is 1 #168 bulb behind the tachometer

Old 12-25-2016, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I said 178 and it didn't seem quite right.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Dash and HVAC bulbs are t5 or #74 bulbs. There is 1 #168 bulb behind the tachometer

That looks great. I'll have to get some bulbs and brighten up my dash!