Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Learning to modify a car

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning to modify a car

I'll be getting my Honda Civic soon (first car) and i want to learn how to 'soupe' it up like you guys do. I have no experience in modifying cars but i would like to gain the knowledge. How did you guys learn when you first started out? mechanic course or maybe even the internet? Any tips or suggestions for beginners like me would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

(if i posted this in wrong forum, sorry please move.)
Old 12-17-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Learning to modify a car (JaxeN)

Good ole Trial and Error

I first started with a '76 jet boat over ten years ago, first engine rebuild I ever did on a 455 Olds engine. Blew it up the first time, rebuilt it and ran like a top since. Just follow directions with parts and get an owners manual!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Learning to modify a car (Marauder)

Get a helms manual ( http://www.helminc.com ) and a torque wrench. They will be your 2 best friends. Aside from that, just hang around, and do some reading. Figure out what you want most, good handling, more power, etc.?

One thing to remember in the import world, is that if it is cheap, then it is probably crap. If it is expensive, then it might still be crap. Just gotta do your homework and spend your money wisely. Don't be sucked in by the Pepboys commercials and the JDM craze.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:54 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Learning to modify a car (kommon_sense)

Glad to see you want to learn rather than be told what to do.

Hang out on this board, I've learned and taught a lot here...

Next, go to http://www.howstuffworks.com - Read how a combustion engine operates, it will give you a lot of insight.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:10 AM

go on h-t a lot it helps
Old 12-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most everything I know I learned from this site
Old 12-17-2003, 10:16 AM
made you look

dont spend too much money, cars arent the important things in life
Old 12-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (made you look)

make H-T your friend and you will learn the ways. i knew close to nothing before i came here and now i'm building up a b18b, good ****
Old 12-17-2003, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: (made you look)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by made you look &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont spend too much money, cars arent the important things in life</TD></TR></TABLE>

we only ride in them at 70mph....who needs good parts?
Old 12-17-2003, 11:53 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

get some big APC sticker. they look cool and gives you 10 hp each.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

Stay on h-t and ask questions...most people won't flame, just ask somebody before you start modding, and 1 little tip (don't go to pepboys and get all of this apc crap), start looking at links that people post in this forum. helped me out alot goodluck man

im me if you have any questions
Old 12-17-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re: (props_honda85)

learn how to use the search function. it contains an unbelivable wealth of info. always do several searches on your question before asking it. chances are it's been covered once if not many times before. use one or two words for your query, and make sure you do both recent and archived content. i usually just leave the forum thing blank, unless i know it's only pertinent to this forum or another.

if you search and search and can't find your answer, just ask. as long as you speak english are polite and specific, you'll get tons of good help. it also helps to say "i already searched... so don't tell me to"... a lot of people see the trial user thing and just say "search n00b"

also, look outside of this website. theres so much other info out there, but i suppose this site alone is sufficient. i ******* love this place, i've learned so much in 4 months....
Old 12-17-2003, 01:15 PM

Default Re: (props_honda85)

Yea you have to learn to ignore the ignorent, like if you ask a Q sometimes you will get flamed (they will make fun of you) Most the guys here are very young like your self and are still childish soo Dont give up on H-T cause some one calls you a Billigerent **** tarded *** hat, They are only trying to gain exceptance from the older other members. Also If you see a Pic with a Dumb *** doing something ghey and says "owned" that means one of the Childish members won the acceptance of the older member and they are congradulating them in making fun of you... All in all enjoy your stay here at HT... there is still some decent members around! Like I said dont worry about it and roll with the punchs also if you get mad just drink a E - . Learn to use our Awesome search engine, this site has been up for a while now and there is some really good stuff "archived". Good luck!!
Old 12-17-2003, 01:18 PM

Default Re: (civiksiracer1)

beat me to it!
Old 12-17-2003, 01:20 PM

Default Re: (CodeDawg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CodeDawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go on h-t a lot it helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

H-T will pretty much be your best friend, just read everything in the archives until your brain hurts. before H-T I didnt even have a set of screwdrivers, now my garage actually looks like a shop. btw.. you'll probably end up spending 3x the amount you plan for. good luck
Old 12-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jazz215)

yea id say h-t is a good place to learn, also watch the "power block" on the weekends!
Old 12-17-2003, 03:26 PM

Default Re: (FlamencoEsi)

honestly.. watch videos.. do research here on H-T and just find out what is hot and what is not..

for example:
HOT

NOT

To be serious.. dont listen to what people have to say about your car.. just do what you want and if you like it.. all good. one word of advice.. you always want to have the go.. the show can't wait.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Learning to modify a car (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a helms manual ( http://www.helminc.com ) and a torque wrench. They will be your 2 best friends. Aside from that, just hang around, and do some reading. Figure out what you want most, good handling, more power, etc.?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Best advice yet IMO.

Also if you ever need anything you can IM me and hopefully I can direct you where you need to be if I personally cannot help you out.

Please do search under recent and archived topics and if you still can't find an answer IM me and we'll see what we come up with.

Old 12-17-2003, 03:36 PM

stay here
Old 12-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Learning to modify a car (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Best advice yet IMO.

Also if you ever need anything you can IM me and hopefully I can direct you where you need to be if I personally cannot help you out.

Please do search under recent and archived topics and if you still can't find an answer IM me and we'll see what we come up with.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^^^^^^^^^^he knows his ****, he can also ban people, so you need to like him and follow his lead ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Oh yeah, all you NEED is honda-tech in your life and you'll be a-ok.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaxeN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll be getting my Honda Civic soon (first car) and i want to learn how to 'soupe' it up like you guys do. I have no experience in modifying cars but i would like to gain the knowledge. How did you guys learn when you first started out? mechanic course or maybe even the internet? Any tips or suggestions for beginners like me would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

(if i posted this in wrong forum, sorry please move.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

finally a newb with common sense. Well before i got into honda's I knew alot about domestics. Understanding how an engine works helps out alot. Also ASK QUESTIONS. If you have a question about doing something to your car then ask. Search before but then ask. IM me if you need anything. I have mastered the search function and can find pretty much anything you need. There is so much to learn. Just sit back and absorb it all. I have AIM too its GSR HtCh. Hit me up with any questions.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:55 PM

Default Re: (sting94112)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sting94112 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get some big APC sticker. they look cool and gives you 10 hp each.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ignore people like this on here.

and most certainly dont listen to what everyone says on this site...some people give out info without actually knowing 100%.

figure out what youre going for. there are alot of different types of ways to make your car perform. best thing to do is browse all the forums on here, see what works.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

read, read, read, search, ask questions, read, and read

never do a mod to you car cause some guy knows a guy who heard that it will give you XX HP. Before you do anything get a helms amnual and some basic tools (like someone else said). Start off getting to know your stock parts and then you can understand why (or why not) to do mods and what they will do. If you don't know any basics of how engines and transmissions work look it up on http://www.howstuffworks.com

Be aware that some people on this board talk out their asses and they do it in a pretty convincing way. So research before you do anything.

IMO, stay away from anything that doesn't make the car safer, faster, or better handling. Form always should follow function

and welcome to H-T

Steve
Old 12-17-2003, 04:26 PM

that picture looks fake photoshop?
Old 12-17-2003, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome aboard!!
when you are looking at parts let us have a second opinion before you buy!!
Because sometime it may or may not worth buying!! or may not look good on your car!!
Take you time and do alot of research here!! Look at how fellow HT fix up their rides, how they go fast and looking good'n'clean at the same time!! Have fun fixing up your soon to be civic!!

Quick Reply: Learning to modify a car