Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Learn a lesson from me

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learn a lesson from me

Well about a week ago i went and drove an 98 (or at least i thought it was) ek. Car drove fine and everything, was in really good condition, so today i wrote her a check for 3800 (she was sking 4200 but i talked her down). She leaves and so do I. I go to lunch with a bud, and my dad who was also with me at the time goes home. About 10 min later, dad calls and says "you said that car was a 1998 right?" I confirmed and he goes thats not what the pink slip says. Pink slip said 1996.

I go home and find the add, thinking i could have misread it, and sure enough it says 1998 civic hatchback for sale. I repulled the blue book on it and it came up 3200 bucks. I was pissed, called the lady back up and she said well i can pay you the difference back or you can come get your check back. I said ok let me call you back real fast. I called her back and said i would just like my check back, and she said no that that wasnt an option for me anymore. She repriced it on blue book and she said it came up 3600. I said sure as hell no it didnt, turns out she was going buy the excellent value and not the middle value.

She then starts hagling with me, tell him i can have it for 3600, i said no i want my money back, she said 3500, i said no again, then she said 3400. I said no once again and she said well too bad. I said well then im going to put a stop on the check and keep your car (im normally not this mean but she just spend 20 min bitching me out without me being able to say a word.) She then said im going to call an auterney and then call you back. I said ok, she called me back imeditaly and was very nice and said to come get my check. My guess is her auterney told her i would win in court over the fact of false advertisement.

So lesson learned, read everything on you pink slip before you buy a car. I was kinda in a hurry so i didnt.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:02 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So what year was it?

You left that out.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:07 PM

ahhh to bad the title didnt say 95' ! o yea it was a 96
Old 01-01-2007, 07:09 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks for you. If you knew what you were looking for, you could have told it was a 96 by looking under the bumper and under the hood. Or the VIN. Or the title in the first place.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Learn a lesson from me (Dr. *****)

wow.. that sucks bro.. Good **** you got your money back without a ton of **** to deal with.....
Old 01-01-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what year was it?

You left that out.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr. ***** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> About 10 min later, dad calls and says "you said that car was a 1998 right?" I confirmed and he goes thats not what the pink slip says. Pink slip said 1996.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That sucks for you. If you knew what you were looking for, you could have told it was a 96 by looking under the bumper and under the hood. Or the VIN. Or the title in the first place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When i came home i pulled the vin on car fax, when i originally looked at the car it was at night time and i didnt have the best light, but lessoned learned so. And the car was a 96
Old 01-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dr. *****)

96-98 hatchbacks are damn near the same thing, you're not missing out on anything with the slightly older car. The differences are minor and barely noticable.

It's a Honda, 3800 really isn't that bad for what you got, just be happy you got the car you wanted and continue on. Private sellers can sell their cars for whatever they see fit, you talked her down from what she originally wanted, be happy with that.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

was she mentally challanged or just plain stupid. Either way you wouldhave found out the truth when you registered the car and so would most people. Sew that bitch! The american way.... lol jk
Old 01-01-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: (turnsignalandy)

you get what you pay for.... next time take your time.... there will always be a cheaper one some where else..
Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flipstar760)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flipstar760 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you get what you pay for.... next time take your time.... there will always be a cheaper one some where else.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

God thats the truth. Im just glad i got my money back, the reason i wanted it back so badly was that there is a 2000 dx hatch for the same price a little ways away from here. The reason i went with hers cause i thought it was only two years diff. and i didnt want to travel a ways for two years, but looks like im going too.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what year was it?

You left that out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He didn't leave that part out, he clearly indicated that it was a '96.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr. ***** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I confirmed and he goes thats not what the pink slip says. Pink slip said 1996.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

AT OP:
First of all, there's no lemon laws regarding private sales. In short that means NO, you wouldn't have won in court, regardless of the end result, all sales are final and you could have been hit up on a personal lawsuit (and beaten) on fraud charges of writing the check and taking the car then canceling the check. at you.

Then comes the second at you and that's where you didn't carfax the damn car. ALWAYS carfax a car (by its vin #). That woulda told you the year (for sure) AND any other misc. hidden details.

Now coming for a 3rd at you - read the manufacturing sticker on the door jam to confirm the year...I always have.

It basically comes down to one simple phrase: "Buyer beware."

Beware, dammit.

Please don't come back at me with a "well she said '98 and it said '96 therefore it's false advertisement" - because ONE, as she's not a dealer she's not obligated to an expert knowledge of the car, not even the year, all she has to do is plead ignorance and it WOULD HAVE been thrown out in court, TWO - There's no verification that says SHE made the mistake on purpose (unless you have it on tape recording and even then it's not 100%), typos in ads happen all the time, and THIRD, the judge will give you a look like he wants to dick slap you after you bought a car without even looking at the title. That won't go over too well.

I mean didn't you read the title (mileage)? That is the pink slip. I'm kind of confused here, all the "errors" here are at your fault, yeah she was a bitch if she purposely posted it, but I HIGHLY doubt it. It was your fault for not going over the VIN # stamp in the door jam, the registration?, the title, and the carfax (or lack there of) and not discovering the year discrepancy. I'm sure you didn't check to see if the doorjam VIN matched the dash VIN which matched the engine VIN, did ya?

Look man, I know I'm coming off like a hardcore ******* but I don't really care. The fact remains simple. You weren't being a smart buyer, AT ALL.

So yeah, thanks for the advice, I won't make your mistake, for sure .

Good thing she relinquished your check though. Would suck having a '96 instead of a '98.

Damn those 96's...

Next time take somebody with you that has experience in buying used cars, like your dad.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:54 PM

well from 96-98 and 99-00 there is a hell of a lot diffrence that most us96-98 hatch owners seek
first the front end the rear hatch handle the climate cluster well i guess not a whole lot but its diffrent buy th 00
Old 01-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He didn't leave that part out, he clearly indicated that it was a '96.

AT OP:
First of all, there's no lemon laws regarding private sales. In short that means NO, you wouldn't have won in court, regardless of the end result, all sales are final and you could have been hit up on a personal lawsuit (and beaten) on fraud charges of writing the check and taking the car then canceling the check. at you.

Then comes the second at you and that's where you didn't carfax the damn car. ALWAYS carfax a car (by its vin #). That woulda told you the year (for sure) AND any other misc. hidden details.

Now coming for a 3rd at you - read the manufacturing sticker on the door jam to confirm the year...I always have.

It basically comes down to one simple phrase: "Buyer beware."

Beware, dammit.

Please don't come back at me with a "well she said '98 and it said '96 therefore it's false advertisement" - because ONE, as she's not a dealer she's not obligated to an expert knowledge of the car, not even the year, all she has to do is plead ignorance and it WOULD HAVE been thrown out in court, TWO - There's no verification that says SHE made the mistake on purpose (unless you have it on tape recording and even then it's not 100%), typos in ads happen all the time, and THIRD, the judge will give you a look like he wants to dick slap you after you bought a car without even looking at the title. That won't go over too well.

I mean didn't you read the title (mileage)? That is the pink slip. I'm kind of confused here, all the "errors" here are at your fault, yeah she was a bitch if she purposely posted it, but I HIGHLY doubt it, it was your fault for going over the VIN # stamp in the door jam, the registration?, the title, and the carfax (or lack there of) and not discovering the year discrepancy. I'm sure you didn't check to see if the doorjam VIN matched the dash VIN, did ya?

Look man, I know I'm coming off like a hardcore ******* but I don't really care. The fact remains simple. You weren't being a smart buyer, AT ALL.

So yeah, thanks for the advice, I won't make your mistake, for sure .

Good thing she relinquished your check though. Would suck having a '96 instead of a '98.

Damn those 96's...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im not going to call you an *** or anything im not that type, I know i made a mistake an over looked a lot of things, i was a moron, i learned a valuable lesson.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:01 PM

I don't understand, in one thread you're worried about hot property but in this one you don't even bother to carfax a VIN? What if it had been totalled? Carfax is the first thing I check. And I don't understand how you didn't see the the year printed on the safety check or the registration?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatch96y7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch96y7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well from 96-98 and 99-00 there is a hell of a lot diffrence that most us96-98 hatch owners seek
first the front end the rear hatch handle the climate cluster well i guess not a whole lot but its diffrent buy th 00</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where the hell is anything mentioned about a discrepancy from a 96-98 gen and a 99/00 gen...it was a 96 and a 98...same gen...

Guess I missed something.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr. ***** &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Im not going to call you an *** or anything im not that type, I know i made a mistake an over looked a lot of things, i was a moron, i learned a valuable lesson.</TD></TR></TABLE>

**** man, don't jump. I know I'm being a hardass but don't hit yourself for it. You live and learn, learning is a part of living, it's a package deal, buy one, you get the other too.

It's really not that big a deal capitalized by the fact that she gave you your check back. I'm just backing up the fact that if this woulda went to court it might not have turned back in your favor as much as you'd have hoped.

Though the last part is the most that I'm serious about. I'm not really trying to demean your intelligence here but you weren't exactly making an Einstein buy there. Shoulda checked all 3 MAIN VIN #'s (dash, door, and engine) to make sure they matched, shoudla carfaxed the VIN #. Should have verified everything, including the title. I can only suggest that the next time you go to look at a car from a private party, you bring somebody that's had experience in buying used cars (like your dad, probably). As time goes on and you go through a few cars (ie. me) you get better and better at buying them and knowing what to look for on what kinds of cars and what to examine, and what to overlook. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but you learn over time.

EDIT:
The part is that there's no lemon laws of any sort, they don't have to "Give you your money back" or anything to that effect, a sale is final when the title is signed over. Sale is final and final is final, the seller is under no obligation to issue a warranty if none is stated in writing and agreed upon by all interested parties via a contract and/or affidavit.

That's the downside to buying used cars...the upside is of course..the deal you're getting (or hope you are getting).
Old 01-01-2007, 10:04 PM
pli
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

lesson learned =P

such things that are expensive, i would check everything over and dont be so nice. like say you drove maybe 1-3 hours up to a place and your already there, dont feel pity on others nor yourself just because your there already, and then you end up buying it.

thats what i sort of did. im a guy that is way too nice to people. sometimes you just gotta try and be tougher =]
Old 01-01-2007, 10:05 PM

damn syndacate y are all of ur post so damn long
i hate reading them but i fell i have to just to read the rest of the thread i think u should write like a book or something on how to be an *** hole

its not his fault he doesn't know the intelligence of another person
if i see an ad for a car im not gonna call and ask are u sure its a 98 can u double check..........
..come on the bitch was a scammer which u probably are cause of how ur taking this all to the *** so to u and to the op for not getting scammed
Old 01-01-2007, 10:07 PM

i was just pointing out the diffrences in the cars since he probably didnt know since he thinks they are the same
Old 01-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pli)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch96y7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn syndacate y are all of ur post so damn long
i hate reading them but i fell i have to just to read the rest of the thread i think u should write like a book or something on how to be an *** hole

its not his fault he doesn't know the intelligence of another person
if i see an ad for a car im not gonna call and ask are u sure its a 98 can u double check..........
..come on the bitch was a scammer which u probably are cause of how ur taking this all to the *** so to u and to the op for not getting scammed</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look to my signature in regards to your issues with my posting length.

As for his intelligence, I'm not shooting his general intelligence, I was shooting his intelligence in buying used cars. If you don't carfax a used car, your hope in intelligence of buying used cars has ended already.

I highly doubt by the way the op described it that the woman was a scammer. It seems she just fucked up and didn't wanna give him his money back after she realized the mistake she made.

Obviously you have trouble stringing words together in what people call sentences, what the expletive does this mean?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> scammer which u probably are cause of how ur taking this all to the *** so</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you're implying that I'm a scammer. Funny ****. ******* comedian.

I got scammed outta the last car I sold BTW, why?

Because I fell into this category:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lesson learned =P

such things that are expensive, i would check everything over and dont be so nice. like say you drove maybe 1-3 hours up to a place and your already there, dont feel pity on others nor yourself just because your there already, and then you end up buying it.

thats what i sort of did. im a guy that is way too nice to people. sometimes you just gotta try and be tougher =]</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pli)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lesson learned =P

thats what i sort of did. im a guy that is way too nice to people. sometimes you just gotta try and be tougher =]</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly why i felt like i kinda had to buy it, she called me and told me she told someone else it wasnt for sale cause i was interested in it. Im also way to nice, i kept saying sorry after she had just got done cussing me out lol.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch96y7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was just pointing out the diffrences in the cars since he probably didnt know since he thinks they are the same</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, my bad, I was unaware that the '96 and the '98 were different to any magnitude worth while looking at. [/sarcasm]
Old 01-01-2007, 10:13 PM

expletive ur sig *** whole ur a scammer
Old 01-01-2007, 10:14 PM

i didnt say there was a diffrence in 96-98 i said 99-00 damn cant u read
Old 01-01-2007, 10:16 PM

I can't read a damn thing you post.