Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

leaking oil where left axle meets tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking oil where left axle meets tranny

I replaced the left axle, along with a crapload of other stuff on the suspension/wheel bearings,etc...
When I happened to be lowering the car, I lowered the left side/drivers side first. With the right side still on jacks, I guess the tranny oil was pushing against the seal where the long left axle goes into the tranny.
Oil was dripping out at a pretty good rate.

Now, when I pushed the axle into the tranny I was careful not to damage the seal and I heard it click when the circlip thingy sets into place. I even tried to pull it back out and it was definitely in there.

Any ideas on why this is leaking now?

Should I just replace the seal?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaking oil where left axle meets tranny

yeah you need to make sure you dont push the trans seal all the way in. just push it in to where it'll just get stuck. have it stick more towards where the axle would go in. i had a hard time with this too. first time i did it, i pushed it all the way in where the ring was or where the seal would cover the spot where the clip with clip on (my bad dont know the word for what that part is called if you look inside of the tranny you will know what i mean) and once i dropped the car, a bunch of tranny fluid came out. so i had to re-do it and this time i made sure the seal would only stick and not be pushed in overboard then it was good. im pretty sure you're gonna have to buy a new seal tho cause once you take one out, its gonna be bent. and better to buy a new one so you would make sure it will not leak. if it still leaks once you put it on and lower the car, then you pushed the seal in too deep still. good luck.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaking oil where left axle meets tranny

Yea i have the same problem ive just finish building my ls vtec with a 91 cable transmission and replaced the seal and it keeps leaking is there sum special way to put the seal in beacuse this is annoying i cant enjoy the car beacuse of this isssue its the the driver side half shaft i'll take a picture of it and post or even a video,

how is it supposed to look???

Last edited by pip3s; 04-24-2010 at 04:00 AM. Reason: misspell