Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

leaking head gasket??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking head gasket??????

Hey guys I just need a few opinions on my car. Just about a month ago I was sitting in the BK drivethru and my temp gauge started to climb up past normal, I turned my heater on and put the fan to high and the needle started to come back down. I drove home about 20 miles and checked my coolant and the overflow bottle was nearly full. I waited till it cooled down and opened the radiator cap and poured the coolant from the bottle back in. I hadnt lost any coolant at all. the radiator was full and my coolant bottle was between the max and min marks. I've been driving it for a while and every 3 days I have to dump the overflow bottle back into the radiator. I disabled the ignition and cranked it over but no bubbles. I pulled the plugs out and checked them all and they are nice and light grey looking like they should be. I took a look into the cylinders and they all have a thin coating of carbon on top of the pistons. One thing that I did notice was that when I had the radiator cap off when I'm idling the car, when i rev the engine the coolant level comes up, not down. Most of the time when you rev an engine with the cap off the coolant level goes down. My car has about 155,000 miles on it and it does not use a drop of coolant, I have a new t-stat and the coolant is clean, my cooling fan comes on when it should and I dont want to pull the head off unless I have to. Could it possible be a faulty radiator cap, mine is original. It holds pressure like it should but maybe its not letting coolant flow back into the overflow like it should, creating an air pocket in the cooling system and heating the engine up more than it should at an idle. It is fine when I'm going down the road. By the way I have a 92 civic dx d15b7. Any help would be appreciated, THANKS
Old 06-03-2002, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaking head gasket?????? (hondafrk)

A new radiator cap is the best bet to go with at the moment. It's really an inexpensive part. I can't think of any thing else at the moment but keep us updated with what you find!! goodluck!!
Elmer
Old 06-03-2002, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaking head gasket?????? (elmerfudd)

check your waterpump.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaking head gasket?????? (TheFLY)

One thing that I did notice when I changed my cam a couple of months ago was that after I changed the cam I left the top timing cover off and I noticed a loud whirring noise coming from the w/pump area. I used a mechanics stethescope to pinpoint the noise and I was also wondering if it could be my w/pump? I think that Im gonna change the pump and the radiator cap first and see what happens.

I was also wondering if any of you guys have ever ran into this problem before?????

[Modified by hondafrk, 2:11 AM 6/4/2002]
Old 06-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Might as well do the belt while the pump is off. Also check the t-stat because if it is not opening, that may be why your catch can is filling up.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: leaking head gasket?????? (97hb)

ive already changed my belt about 20k ago I think it is ok. I'm pretty sure that my t-stat is opening up when it should because before my engine gets up to temp my lower hose is cool then when it is up to temp the t-stat opens and the hose gets hot like it should around 180 degrees.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 06-21-2002, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt