Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lca is driving me nuts...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lca is driving me nuts...

im trying to get the 14 mm bolt off of the lca on my eg so i can take out my shocks. so far, it hasnt budge. ive used wd-40 and another kind of rust bolt remover liquid (i forget the name) on it and it still hasnt moved. so far, ive broken two 14 mm sockets (had to go to sears 2x, they were craftsman). does anyone have any other ideas on how to take it out. i dont have an impact gun/compressor so i cant use that.

here's a pix of what im talking about...
its the second bolt in the middle holding the shock to the lca (not actual pix, its off a 99 si, while mines a 93 eg) thanks

Old 03-20-2003, 02:32 PM
Trial User

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (Spoon_Nazi)

samething happened to me. you need a very powerful compressor
Old 03-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (purek9hybrid)

a big heavy breaker bar should do it, but be careful we broke the head off the exact same bolt one time (were still trying to fix this) so be very generous with the wd40
Old 03-20-2003, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont use a compressor, it can strip the bolt even faster. Get a 1/2 or 3/4 breaker bar and put a long steel pipe over it. That should give you enough leverage to break it loose.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:04 PM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (Dominican_Kid)

dont use a compressor, it can strip the bolt even faster. Get a 1/2 or 3/4 breaker bar and put a long steel pipe over it. That should give you enough leverage to break it loose.
we were using a breaker bar, thats how we broket the two 14 mm sockets..
any other idea...
the bolt won't come out at all...
Old 03-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What happens with these bolts is that the bolt seizes to the metal sleeve in the bushing. If you crank it with the impact gun, you may spin the sleeve in the bushing. If this happens, you'll need to have a shop press in a new bushing (unless you have an 80,000 lb. hydraulic press). What I do is to not **** with that bolt. I simply remove the whole LCA with the shock attached. For some reason, the inner and outer LCA bolts don't have this problem. And no, you won't have to get an alignment if you do this.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:14 PM

you need somethin that's gonna give you alot of leverage (sp? I suck at spelling)..Anyways, I've heard tq wrences do the trick. I don't understand why it would be so difficult to remove. Just be careful. You ARE turning the counter clockwise right? j/k..Good Luck.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (J-MiGiRL702)

Yeah that happened to me and i ended up busting the bushing...at the time i had to drive my car to work or somethign like that...and ended up sticking a friggin lug nut its place...it was like the perfect size and width...ive had it like that for over a year now...

Those bolts are truly a pain in the ***
Old 03-20-2003, 04:40 PM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (screamincivik)

the compressor wont strip it. the impact gun will. also, unless this guys doing this on a lift, hes gonna have a hell of a time trying to get a breaker bar, and a pipe under there.

And no, you won't have to get an alignment if you do this.
anytime you take off any suspension component you should have an alignment done.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (burk)

are you just doing springs? if so just drop the whole lca and put the springs on the shock and put the lca back on. the bolt will most likely break no matter what you try.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (blufke)

theres probaly rust in the bolt hole hit the bottom of the lca really hard with a hammer dont hit the bolt it self just the lca
\hope that helps
Old 03-20-2003, 04:53 PM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (95blackex)

spray some PB blaster on there that stuff works pretty good. 1/2 ratchet , 6pt socket and a breaker bar
Old 03-20-2003, 05:07 PM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (js96ek)

if you got a torch, you can heat up the nut and that may help.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (black92si)

torque arm my friend. that's all you need.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:28 PM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (black92si)

i just went through this same **** replacing my lca bushing ,those bolts are on there so tight.i bought a $20 electric impact wrench from walmart,you know the cheap **** that plugs in your cigharett lighter.it worked like a charm ,it took off every bolt with no problem ,it kinda sucks for tightening bolts tho you can just bring it back if it doesnt work out for you
Old 03-20-2003, 05:36 PM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (buckfittyone)

ok i know this from experience....that bolt will beak so just have ur local car shop press the broken bolt out and get a new brushing and bolt like 50bux fix.not to bad...or use what i use a lacross bar works great...take of the net part it works every time..peace
Old 03-20-2003, 05:59 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (Be2g0)

dood just drill the bolt out and go buy another one , 5 dollars at the most , easiest way if its siezed just be carefull not to drill into the bushing
Old 03-20-2003, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (Loco Honkey)

What happens with these bolts is that the bolt seizes to the metal sleeve in the bushing. If you crank it with the impact gun, you may spin the sleeve in the bushing. If this happens, you'll need to have a shop press in a new bushing (unless you have an 80,000 lb. hydraulic press).
I got that bolt out with a torch. And by the way, loco is wrong. You don't need a 80,000 lb press to put the bushings back. I used a torch to burn the bushing away, then I used a saw zall to cut a piece of the outer sleeve away, then I used a chisel and a hammer to get the rest out. WD40 helps too! And when you are reinstalling, get a socket large enough to fit on top of the outer sleeve and pound it in evenly with a hammer. It's the hard way, but it's free.

EDIT: for anyone that cares, the bolt was 8 bucks from my local honda dealership.

[Modified by MyWhiteCivic, 10:01 PM 3/20/2003]
Old 03-20-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (MyWhiteCivic)

we sawzalled the lca in half and bought a aluminum pair, but that wasnt to cost effective, they were like $180, look bad *** though
Old 03-20-2003, 08:47 PM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (leprechan117)

im replacing the whole shocks and springs with koni yellow's and ground controls...
so i need to get that shock off. i did however manage to rent a compressor and impact gun from one of the shops around here. im going to try again tomorrow and i hope it works...thanks for the advice everyone, ill keep you guys updated
Old 03-20-2003, 08:56 PM

no matter how strong ur compressor is.. it won't break lose

the bolt broke on mine, then we need to burn, and so on and take out the bushing

takes lots of time

good luck
Old 03-20-2003, 09:05 PM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (TurBoXBirD16)

i broke that bolt on my car this week. it is stuck so i have been riding around with it. i ordered gsr control arms from hybridautomotive.com and will get at it again.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:53 PM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (TurBoXBirD16)

no matter how strong ur compressor is.. it won't break lose

the bolt broke on mine, then we need to burn, and so on and take out the bushing

takes lots of time

good luck
so burning it is the key...
i still remember having to burn the bolt off of my lower engine mount to do the swap (that was a pain in the ***) but it worked though. ill try that as well. thanks
Old 03-21-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (MyWhiteCivic)

And by the way, loco is wrong.
I'm not wrong. Being wrong would mean that my method is totally improper. I just use the proper method. I for one, think that cutting and torching and using a socket for something it wasn't designed for is what I consider junk yard mechanics. But hey, knock yourself out. Either way would work. My way is the way you'd do it if you're **** about doing things exactly the right way.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:50 AM

Default Re: lca is driving me nuts... (Loco Honkey)

I'm not wrong. Being wrong would mean that my method is totally improper. I just use the proper method. I for one, think that cutting and torching and using a socket for something it wasn't designed for is what I consider junk yard mechanics. But hey, knock yourself out. Either way would work. My way is the way you'd do it if you're **** about doing things exactly the right way.
im with you on this. some people think you can use the torch on anything. heating stuff up like that isnt always good. the metal just expands and contrasts everytime it heats up and cools down.

Quick Reply: lca is driving me nuts...