Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LCA bushing loose in bore stock 96 CX

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LCA bushing loose in bore stock 96 CX

It's still tight enough that if I could get it out I'd try loctite-ing it back in but to get the last one out destroyed the bushing. In searching thru here I haven't seen this bushing mentioned/ pictured - it's got a face on the rear side which makes it impossible to just press out. The quandary is that it's a newish PIC bushing only available by the set and harder than OEM. Any ideas? What would you do if it was yours?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LCA bushing loose in bore stock 96 CX

you probably also destroyed the lca.

that sucks.

-chris

edit: sorry I keep reading your post over and over trying to understand what has taken place.

are you saying that you replaced your lca bushings with harder ones? are you saying that the new one is loose in its bore?

the way your post reads, it sounds to me like you messed up the bore when you removed the old bushing and now your new bushing isn't fitting properly.

please clarify..

Last edited by stupidhard; 09-04-2014 at 12:26 PM. Reason: op confused the s#it outa me
Old 09-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotta admit that is what it sounds like... but I am a helicopter mech & did all the heavy component overhaul for an ems company I worked for so i aint totally stupid. I didn't burn the old bushing out, I carefully cut the face off so I could press it out & it came out clean. The bore was not at all scored or rusty. Lightly coated the bore & bushing w oil before pressing the new one in. Only thing different w aircraft stuff would be to measure the bore make sure it's in tolerance. Frikkin kills me thinking people been burning & beating these bastids out w no problem later.
It's not loose enough to be making rusty dust you see around things that been working so I'm hoping the bore aint too OS. SOL?
And yes, I replaced all the suspension bushings w the PIC Performance kit. When I replaced the engine mounts too it was SOLID awesome ...til this little noise I started hearing.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no one said you were stupid... just having a hard time comprehending what youre saying. also I never assumed you burnt or beat them out.

its still very possible to distort things like that using the proper tools.

it kills me when people have been trained to do a job a certain way and they don't apply it to other things. not flaming you, but I am a quality auditor and i apply every step i can from my training at work to the work i do on my home and vehicle.

if you have a system that helps you eliminate problems before they arise you should implement it. it may not have been a bad idea to have a set of calipers close by when you replace components that must be press fitted.

i cant speak to that particularly because when i removed my old bushings i burned them out and then cut the cage out with a hack saw... then they received e.s. bushings.

i had the front lca bushings pressed out and i used a socket so as not to interfere with the center part of the bushing that protrudes past its cage. seems like you took a step where you didn't need to.

if the old ones came out clean then i don't see why the new ones would be loose in the bore. unless you have the wrong bushing.

post a picture of what you got goin on.
-chris

another afterthought, did you torque all the suspension bolts to spec? the center part of the bushing is to remain stationary as the suspension works. the noise and dust could be due to the fact that the center part of the bushing is allowed to pivot rather than stay put.

Last edited by stupidhard; 09-04-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 09-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The more eyeballs on it the better! But oh hell, might take a while to figure out how to post a picture. Anyway I was getting this little click when the right front would take a quick loading like turning right over the gutter & up the driveway. Jacked up yanking on the wheel everything felt solid, wheel off yanking everything, balljoints, wheel brg, tie rods, steering rack end, outbd lca bushing solid. Driveshaft out & it operates smoothly. Jacking the lca I could hear the click inbd so took the shock out. Rotating the lca seemed way too easy for a good rubber bushing but getting my eyeball in there I could see the outer race was able to move. The click was when tension on the rubber was enough to make the outer race pop loose enough to rotate just a bit. Clamping the inner race in the vice it's clear that's where the movement is. I'll work on a picture, thanks!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you painted a pretty detailed picture in this post^.

my only thoughts are either the bushing is OS or the bore on the arm is OS.

im not familiar with PIC replacement bushings so I cannot speak to their reputation for quality but im willing to bet that the OD of the bushing is suspect. ill look around for the ID spec of that bore.

tap that thing out with a hammer and WD40 and compare the OD of the replacement bushing to the OD of the original if you still have it layin around.

-chris

Last edited by stupidhard; 09-04-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...sorry in advance if this doesn't work - it supposed to be a picture
Old 09-04-2014, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

..dammit...
Old 09-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

When replying to your thread, click on "Go Advance" and not the "Post Quick Reply". From there you should be able to upload a picture. Where did you buy this bushing.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:45 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchaholic

...sorry in advance if this doesn't work - it supposed to be a picture

I followed your link to your photobucket page, copied and pasted the links for the photos. Helpfully this helps.

I can tell you I did stretch a front lower control arm pressing a bushing out. And I've not seen a bushing like the one that in your lower control arm. Not that that means anything. Good luck.

eH.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OMG thanks!! I talked to Jim @ PIC performance and he says the specs of that bushing is not for a 96CX so I been trying to find a picture somewhere cuz mine didn't work. Looking at LCA parts diagrams like in this https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ontrol+arm+LCA thread my arm doesn't look like any of these - no swaybar holes. WTF I got here??? I got this car in 97 w 75 miles on it from a dealership & never messed w the suspension on it.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the bushing set from TH Motorsports & installed all the rear stuff but didn't get to the front for another year & a half. When I saw that LCA bushing didn't match the new ones Jim @ PIC replaced them w these. But I had to send him a picture of what I had cuz he said the ones I was sent were correct for my car. Just figured there was a mixup somewhere but didn't think it was my car that was screwy.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Have you checked the Honda parts website to confirm?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:13 AM
yippee-ki-yay

OMG thanks!! I talked to Jim @ PIC performance and he says the specs of that bushing is not for a 96CX so I been trying to find a picture somewhere cuz mine didn't work. Looking at LCA parts diagrams like in this https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ontrol+arm+LCA thread my arm doesn't look like any of these - no swaybar holes. WTF I got here??? I got this car in 97 w 75 miles on it from a dealership & never messed w the suspension on it.
From the link you provided it looks like you have the bushings for a 99-00 Si LCA.

I've never seen the LCA from an Si, but the picture above doesn't look like what you have posted. If you look closely at the rear of the arm, you can see the same bushing face (or lip) that you have installed on your LCA. In other words, it looks like you have a 99-00 Si bushing in a CX LCA.

Did you install that bushing in both arms?

eH.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:24 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Here's a pic of the LCA that I stretched. You can push the bushing in by hand. ('94 Integra LS FLCA) I went to the junkyard and picked up a new (used) LCA.

eH.

Last edited by eHMxhACk; 09-05-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, that looks like the same bushing on that exploded view (as mine has) but different arm. PIC sent me dimensions for the 96-00 non-SI which don't match my car and for 94-01Teg/DC2 which matches dimensionally (50mm) but doesn't show the bushing face. I asked about 99/00 SI waiting to hear back.
eHMxhACk: your bushing looks like the wider one to fit the 71mm subframe bosses that my car's supposed to be. How do you mean you stretched your arm?
I did check hondapartscheap.com and it is the same dwgs as on the other thread.

Last edited by hatchaholic; 09-05-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-05-2014, 10:58 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Yes, that looks like the same bushing but different arm. PIC sent me dimensions for the 96-00 non-SI which don't match my car and for 94-01Teg/DC2 which matches dimensionally (50mm) but doesn't show the bushing face. I asked about 99/00 SI waiting to hear back.
eHMxhACk: your bushing looks like the wider one to fit the 71mm subframe bosses that my car's supposed to be. How do you mean you stretched your arm?
More accurately, I stretched the bore.

Again, looking at the link to the other thread, it looks like there are three different LCAs for the 96-00 Civics.

CX/DX

LX/EX

Si

I'm wondering if the first set of bushings they sent you was for the LX/EX and that's why the didn't fit. Maybe the CX/DX bushings are smaller? Again, I'm not familiar with the 96-00 Civics.

eH.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The drawings Jim from PIC sent me shows all 96-00 non-SI as having the same measurements with that bushing 71mm wide - too wide for my subframe
Old 09-05-2014, 12:04 PM
yippee-ki-yay

The drawings Jim from PIC sent me shows all 96-00 non-SI as having the same measurements with that bushing 71mm wide - too wide for my subframe
What do your compliance bushings look like? Maybe someone did swap LCAs from a 92-95 Civic. It was rare if any of these had swap bar holes. (Si/EX did).

These are '95 GS-R front LCAs. (No difference between trim levels; all Integras had the same FLCAs)

Here's the best picture I have of a '92 Civic (VX) without the sway bar holes:

eH.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:10 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Compliance bushings for 96-00 Civic.

92-95 Civic.

After looking at the diagrams, it appears that the arms might be interchangeable with compliance bushings so I'm not sure that will tell you anything about which arm you have. Does your LCA have something like SR3 stamped on it?

eH.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The 92 VX rear arm matches mine. The compliance bushing & all the other bushings in the 96-00 set I got matched mine. And yes, LCAs of both sides were done & matched each other. Cripes, better chek that one. My subframe must not be correct for my car...? Looking at PIC's measurements on the drawings the bushing OD for a 96-00non-SI is 40mm & the one I got cuz it appeared to match was 37mm. I better yank it out & measure the bore
Old 09-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on the comp bushing arm is cast AFF27 and either 09H or H60. The LCA just has GR SR3 cast in it & 2 H stamped on it. The comp bushngs are the correct ones.

Just noticed from my notes I installed these bushings Dec of 12 not of 13 so it held tight longer than I first thought.
And yes I torqued with a torquewrench with the car on the ground.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:01 PM
yippee-ki-yay

on the comp bushing arm is cast AFF27 and either 09H or H60. The LCA just has GR SR3 cast in it & 2 H stamped on it. The comp bushngs are the correct ones.

Just noticed from my notes I installed these bushings Dec of 12 not of 13 so it held tight longer than I first thought.
And yes I torqued with a torquewrench with the car on the ground.
I believe SR3 is for the 92-95 Civic and possibly the Del Sol. S04 would be for the 96-00 Civics. I'm not for sure!

Have you ever run a carfax on your car? Maybe it was in a front-end accident and they replaced the subframe with one from a 92-95?

Either way, you can pick up another 92-95 LCA from a junkyard and get the bushings for a 92-95 Civic.

eH.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never occurred to me til now that it wasn't new when I bought it! Made the dealer a lowball offer wanting them to add a/c & a DX spoiler & they took it (even though they acted like they were getting raped). Everything looks perfect even now, but I do remember the nut on that lower balljoint wasn't tight even though it was cotter-pinned when it still had low miles. Torqued it & it been fine since. Well I got another bushing coming from PIC that I'll try loctite on if the bore measures ok. If not be checking pick-a-part for another arm
Old 09-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well PIC sent the bushings fri nite & they were in the mailbox mon. Installed with permatex red threadlocker & I got that new-car-feel again. It's been a while since I used loctite-like stuff & forgot how quick it bonds on the press. Got the bushing within a sliver of seating the face and the rubber face was starting to distort from the pressure cuz it wasn't going any further.
Thanks for all your info & help w the pictures eH!