Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LCA bolt size? Hardness?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCA bolt size? Hardness?

I need to replace both of my lower control arms bolts, the ones that mount the bottom of the shock. The reason is , I'm putting new shocks and springs on and those two bolts are fused in there so tight they need to be cut out, so I can't reuse them.

I wanted to know if anyone knows what thread pitch I"m supposed to get, hardness, length etc... The 14mm socket is the correct one as far as the head goes. But can I just use a bolt of someplace like pepboys, autozone, hardware store etc....? I suppose I should use a hardness of 8 or more right?

Any recommendations?
Old 07-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: LCA bolt size? Hardness? (sivik2nr)

I'd reccomend just going to Honda and getting them, any reason you can't or are trying to avoid it? That is where I got mine, it was just easier for me, and I knew I was getting exactly the right bolts.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LCA bolt size? Hardness? (piscorpio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by piscorpio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd reccomend just going to Honda and getting them</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-08-2003, 08:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by piscorpio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd reccomend just going to Honda and getting them</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-08-2003, 10:17 AM

Default Re: LCA bolt size? Hardness? (Damon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Damon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd recommend just going to Honda and getting them</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for your recommendations you post ******.

If you can't go to Honda defiantly get the right hardness. I don't know what it
is but I think that it is either a 7 or an 11? Anyone know, I would like to
be sure on that.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LCA bolt size? Hardness? (d15dude)

Just goto hondaautomotiveparts.com and reorder those bolts. A generic fit may work, but if it breaks you get a lot of "I told you so"'s from the above "post ******"
Old 07-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LCA bolt size? Hardness? (d15dude)

Grade 10 for suspension bolts...better safe than sorry...

I just got those bolts at honda for 6 to 7 bucks a piece...
Old 07-08-2003, 11:20 AM

Factory Bolts Use a bit of antiseize onthem when reinstalling.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:42 PM

Well the reason I was asking about something else is that I've waited like two weeks to get in someplace to get the bolts out and I really don't wanna wait any longer to 'order' fuggin bolts... And that's the only thing that's holding me up...2 fawkin bolts...

Old 07-09-2003, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sivik2nr)

As a temp replacement it wouldn't be so bad. hondaautomotiveparts.com is pretty quick with shipping though.I normally get my stuff in 3-4 days with regular shipping.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:23 PM

Default Re: (jolt-tsp)

I went to the dealer this morning and they had some instock. so that was cool. But when the shop tried to get out the one rear bolt the bushing ripped and I need to get another one. ( probably two since the other bolt is probably gonna be hard to get out too ) The dealer has the bushings for like 18 bucks a piece.

Do they need to be pressed in by a machine? or can they be done by hand?
Old 07-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Boba Connoisseur

The OEM bolts have pointed ends for easy installs, as well.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, you're just having no luck. I've heard it take 6-20 tons of pressure to get the bushings in, so unless you're the hulk you probably should take them to someone to do. Although I've heard &lt;10 ton presses are under $100.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

harborfreight has some 6 ton presses for 59.99!!
Old 07-10-2003, 04:08 PM

Well, I'm sick of dealing with it, I'm just selling my setup for now and taking a break from the car modding scene for a while.

so FOR SALE ( i will post this in the correct forum later )

EVERYTHING IS BRAND NEW NEVER INSTALLED ( obviously )

4 - Skunk 2 coilovers
4 - Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable shocks

everything comes with all the hardware and everything expected.

Make me an offer.

I paid around $780 for the setup so if anyone can come darn close to that, you've got em.

Thanks!!

Chris
Old 07-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, don't let those bolts frustrate you. I was in your exact situation, even worse because the bolt connecting the lca to the hub was siezed as well. Anyway, here's what I did; I snapped a shock bolt also, and ended up tearing out the bolts bushings and all, it was the only way to free them up. If you can't get them out, you could still have a shop press the old bushings out (much easier, and it cost me a case of beer ). Once the old bushings are out, get some polyurethane replacements for the rear shock forks (they have a set specifically for this). The polyurethane bushings are a snap to get in, just lube them up and slide them right in. I know it is kind of a pain in the ***, but it should be expected with an older car (or one in the harsh winter salt conditions our cars see in this region), just don't give up now, you already did most of the hard part it seems.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by piscorpio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Once the old bushings are out, get some polyurethane replacements for the rear shock forks (they have a set specifically for this). The polyurethane bushings are a snap to get in, just lube them up and slide them right in. I know it is kind of a pain in the ***, but it should be expected with an older car (or one in the harsh winter salt conditions our cars see in this region), just don't give up now, you already did most of the hard part it seems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, this was my last step with my car too, the suspension work. But the fact is, I'm just outta money. I don't have anything else to spend and can't even find the money for those stupid stock bushings... So i really don't know what else to do... I don't know, maybe I'll think about it.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya, it seems the largest chunk of money and work is behind you. I got pretty fed up changing my timing belt once, as well as getting some seized axles out. It always works out though, so stick with it man.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:15 AM

Default Re: LCA bolt size? Hardness? (jolt-tsp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ya, it seems the largest chunk of money and work is behind you. I got pretty fed up changing my timing belt once, as well as getting some seized axles out. It always works out though, so stick with it man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok well then I'll stick with it a little more... and see what happens...

Is my handling gonna improve a lot with those shocks and springs? My current setup is a mismatch of stock stuff and junk coilovers and springs...
Old 07-14-2003, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ya, simply having the right balance of your shocks and springs makes a huge difference. sounds like you have a pretty good set up too. My kyb agx's with eibahc road race's are working really well, compared to stcok, well, I can't really even compare them to my stock setup.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:33 AM

Ok , well, I'm STILL trying to install my stuff. I've got the front done and the drivers rear done. But one of the top bolts on the passanger side ( upper mount ) has stripped. I've tried everytyhing. I need to cut the mount out and replace it.

[b]Does anyone have a 96+ civic hatch rear upper shock mount? ( passenger rear ) Anyone parting out a civic?
Old 07-25-2003, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You might be able to get if off the car with a small screwdriver or prybar. Then just use some washers, and a nut/bolt and tighten it from both sides.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone try using a torch and heat it up.. heat up the bolts.. it should help and also heat up or burn up the bushing if you want to take it out
Old 07-25-2003, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't like the idea of heating bolts, i've torn enough in half while working on them while hot. however, a lot of people have luck with it, so i dunno.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might be able to get if off the car with a small screwdriver or prybar. Then just use some washers, and a nut/bolt and tighten it from both sides.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't quite get the picture here... I can use washers and a prybar or screwdriver to get the nut off?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone try using a torch and heat it up.. heat up the bolts.. it should help and also heat up or burn up the bushing if you want to take it out</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't take out the rear molding and carpeting, so I can't really heat it up... the whole car will catch fire... unless I take it all out.

Quick Reply: LCA bolt size? Hardness?