Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

which last longer hawk hps brake pads or oem honda brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:32 AM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which last longer hawk hps brake pads or oem honda brake pads?

i will be running on daily driven boosted hatch
Old 10-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: which last longer hawk hps brake pads or oem honda brake pads? (BALISTIKPNOY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BALISTIKPNOY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i will be running on daily driven boosted hatch</TD></TR></TABLE>

it has nothing to do with how long they will last, but how you drive.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which last longer hawk hps brake pads or oem honda brake pads? (BALISTIKPNOY)

In my opionion, I would go with the cheapest brake pads possible. Why? They wear out faster and won't wear out your rotors. Trust me it works.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: which last longer hawk hps brake pads or oem honda brake pads? (deerman2701)

OEM is always a good choice.......Performnce wise tho, Hawk pads have good bite and life depends on how fast/hard you stomp. The HAWKS are a little pricey 2 be changing out all the time, I'm not sure how much OEM is tho.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 AM
* B A N N E D *

HAWK HPS COST 59.99 AND OEM COST 56.99
Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm running hawk hps pads and they grab pretty nice. compared to oem i'm not sure if there better or worst.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:56 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: which last longer hawk hps brake pads or oem honda brake pads? (deerman2701)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deerman2701 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In my opionion, I would go with the cheapest brake pads possible. Why? They wear out faster and won't wear out your rotors. Trust me it works. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Bad idea. I've seen cheap brake pads separate from the shim bases (the part that is a part of the pad when you buy it). It's a safety device. Don't cheap out.

VALUCRAFT = Not so good.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (bmoua)

You can get pads that will stop you just fine for $18.00 at any Advance Auto in the country. I've run HPDEs with them and my car performed just beautifully. If you're daily driving, there's no reason to buy anything expensive. Even the $18.00 pads are warrantied, so get after it.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: which last longer hawk hps brake pads or oem honda brake pads? (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Bad idea. I've seen cheap brake pads separate from the shim bases (the part that is a part of the pad when you buy it). It's a safety device. Don't cheap out.

VALUCRAFT = Not so good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Shims falling off aren't going to put you in danger. If you notice prolonged squeaking, just change the bitches. You can get three sets of them for the price of a single set of OEM pads. No need to spend more money on a car that sees grocery-duty once a week and no high performance.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can get pads that will stop you just fine for $18.00 at any Advance Auto in the country. I've run HPDEs with them and my car performed just beautifully. If you're daily driving, there's no reason to buy anything expensive. Even the $18.00 pads are warrantied, so get after it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Unfortunately, Advance Auto Parts is primarily an East Coast / MidWest company.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Shims falling off aren't going to put you in danger. If you notice prolonged squeaking, just change the bitches. You can get three sets of them for the price of a single set of OEM pads. No need to spend more money on a car that sees grocery-duty once a week and no high performance. </TD></TR></TABLE>
The shims didn't fall off. The brake pads did. The metal backing is what stayed on the car. This was not too long after the pads were put on the car. I was told they were from Autozone and I have a feeling they were the cheapies (i.e., Valucraft).
Old 10-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can get pads that will stop you just fine for $18.00 at any Advance Auto in the country. I've run HPDEs with them and my car performed just beautifully. If you're daily driving, there's no reason to buy anything expensive. Even the $18.00 pads are warrantied, so get after it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO, i wouldn't run cheap pads at all. Even though its a DD, its a boosted DD. Im running a stock y8 (w/alot suspension mods, canyon running once a month) and i myself wouldn't run $20 pads.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nofx for you it would be kragen. or auto zone
Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (gsxr1k05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsxr1k05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nofx for you it would be kragen. or auto zone</TD></TR></TABLE>
Actually, they do not carry the same items and they are not the same business. Parts American owns both, but Advance and Kragen are not the same company.

I'm fairly aware of what parts companies are what. I used to work for Advance when I lived on the east coast. I tried to get a transfer here since I already had a job I liked. But it wasn't possible because it's not the same company.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

IMO, i wouldn't run cheap pads at all. Even though its a DD, its a boosted DD. Im running a stock y8 (w/alot suspension mods, canyon running once a month) and i myself wouldn't run $20 pads. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldn't say they are cheap pads. they are the same as oem or better, which IMO do just fine.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i wouldn't say they are cheap pads. they are the same as oem or better, which IMO do just fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i've compared $30 pads to $50 pads and there is a good difference in stopping power. The way i see things, i'd rather run better pads than cheap out, just becuz that slight difference could save yourself from a car accident(i drive safe haha). A good brake setup is #1 in my book. For example, i run quality rotors and quality pads on my girls stock ej8. Its just a safety precaution i like to take which adds good braking power at the same time.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

expletive cheap brake pads. HP+ for DD/HPDE/autox
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use CERAMIC pads (from CarQuest). They grab a little better, last a little longer, and are ALOT quieter.
Besides, CarQuest even gives you lifetime warranty on those: just dont wear them all the way down to metal (somehow that will void their warranty) and keep the receipt.
Once they wear down, take your pads out, find your receipt, go to carquest (by bus?) and get a new set of pads
Old 10-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i've compared $30 pads to $50 pads and there is a good difference in stopping power. The way i see things, i'd rather run better pads than cheap out, just becuz that slight difference could save yourself from a car accident(i drive safe haha). A good brake setup is #1 in my book. For example, i run quality rotors and quality pads on my girls stock ej8. Its just a safety precaution i like to take which adds good braking power at the same time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree, braking should be in everyones book. i have a great brake set up and i'm currently using oem replacment pads and rotors. my car brakes great, braking performance from my previous set up has increased at least 30-40%.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i agree, braking should be in everyones book. i have a great brake set up and i'm currently using oem replacment pads and rotors. my car brakes great, braking performance from my previous set up has increased at least 30-40%.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2NOFX:
Shims are NOT a safety device. All they supposed to do is reduce noise. But the cheap (semi-metallic) pads make plenty noise even with the shims...

I have ceramics with only 1 shim on the outer pad (I coulnt fit the caliper over new pads with 2 shims) and it makes no noise at all. Before, my old organic pads were squealing like pigs even with both shims on.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

</TD></TR></TABLE>

glad too see we all can have a discussion w/o it getting out of hand!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:57 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Elrusodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Elrusodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2NOFX:
Shims are NOT a safety device. All they supposed to do is reduce noise. But the cheap (semi-metallic) pads make plenty noise even with the shims...

I have ceramics with only 1 shim on the outer pad (I coulnt fit the caliper over new pads with 2 shims) and it makes no noise at all. Before, my old organic pads were squealing like pigs even with both shims on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

She's not talking about the thin metal shims. She's talking about the metal backing to the ceramic pad.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glad too see we all can have a discussion w/o it getting out of hand! </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha
Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

Autozone duralast pads

lifetime warranty

no brake noise

lasts 2 years, normal daily commuting
Old 10-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OEM or better...that cheap AutoZone/Advance Auto/O'Reilly's brake pads are ****.

A majority of the brake problems that we see at our shop are from the chain businesses (Modica Bros., etc.) using cheap *** brake pads that are loud and wear out faster (they'd be alot quieter if they were to at least re-use the shims, but for whatever reason they choose not to).

The solution is OE-quality brake pads and rotors

Quick Reply: which last longer hawk hps brake pads or oem honda brake pads?