Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lagging d15b

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lagging d15b

i ran my buddie's z6 hatch the other night (from a roll), stock with slight exhaust mods, and i barely pulled on him in my gutted del sol. i have I/H/E, chipped ECU, with a crower stage 1 camshaft in my jdm d15b.

and some guy the other night pulled on me in a damn ford ranger (he launched and I didnt).

I'm not sure why my car didn't do better and I'm wondering if a tune would make things much better... It wasn't a matter of driver either, because I'm a much better driver.

(I'm not a street racer, nor do I condone street racing
Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lagging d15b (obuhmyuh)

bump

future goals for car: blox IM, crower springs/retainers, crower stage 2 camshaft, tuning then boosting.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

your kind of comparing apples to oranges here. Del Sols are comparitively pretty heavy if i remember right, even if its gutted its still gonna be heavy, also you don't say what your buddy has for a hatch, if its a CX those things are light as hell, and with no power steering they actually feel pretty snappy even with a D15B7 in them, with a Z6 they should pull quite nicely. you don't ay what transmissions are in the cars either, Si tranny will make a big difference. Basically there are a lot of variables involved here.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your kind of comparing apples to oranges here. Del Sols are comparitively pretty heavy if i remember right, even if its gutted its still gonna be heavy, also you don't say what your buddy has for a hatch, if its a CX those things are light as hell, and with no power steering they actually feel pretty snappy even with a D15B7 in them, with a Z6 they should pull quite nicely. you don't ay what transmissions are in the cars either, Si tranny will make a big difference. Basically there are a lot of variables involved here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha thanks and sorry, i didnt want to post too much info i one post.

both with 5spd trannys, im not sure about his trim though (cx/dx/lx or whatever) i have an ex/si tranny (recently swapped in). And yes, del sol's are a little heavier than an eg hatch, but i have A LOT more weight reduction than he has. I'm starting to think something is wrong with my chip, I just sent it back to the guy i got it from and told him to reburn it because of a bunch of weird ****. But now I'm back to a "stock" ecu, which "feels" a little better, but I'm still thinking about getting a tune.

My buddy has power steering and AC, with little to no performance mods.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:31 PM

have you checked ur timing? what do you have ur cam gear set at? a stage 1 can isnt gonna make a great big difference.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I read on this message board that D15b's already come with an aggressive cam comparable to a stage 1 zex.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by obuhmyuh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i ran my buddie's z6 hatch the other night (from a roll), stock with slight exhaust mods, and i barely pulled on him in my gutted del sol. i have I/H/E, chipped ECU, with a crower stage 1 camshaft in my jdm d15b.

and some guy the other night pulled on me in a damn ford ranger (he launched and I didnt).

I'm not sure why my car didn't do better and I'm wondering if a tune would make things much better... It wasn't a matter of driver either, because I'm a much better driver.

(I'm not a street racer, nor do I condone street racing</TD></TR></TABLE>

if ever there was a ricer post.... come on man, i've seen your posts, you're somewhat knowledgable. I expected better than this from you.

Anyway, del slo's are heavy anyway. You said d15b, but i am pretty sure those have the d15b7, or d15b8 unless you've done an engine swap. if it's a d15b8, well those are all high end power, no low end. if it is the normal d15b7, than those are just slow as hell anyone man.

if you got the d15b with vtec, i'd say check your ecu, other than that, just accept that your car is STILL slow. A tune probably wouldn't do too much. And honestly, on a SOHC neither would any of your normal bolt ons or such.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: lagging d15b (austinkli)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by austinkli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You said d15b, but i am pretty sure those have the d15b7, or d15b8 unless you've done an engine swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He's talking about a JDM D15B, and he did a swap.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by austinkli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if it's a d15b8, well those are all high end power, no low end.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean no power. The B8 is an 8 valve boat anchor.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:28 PM

Default Re: lagging d15b (mcvtec)

just do a retime on ur timinig and if u have it adjust ur cam gear like 2-4 degrees retard n u should have power...i'm running that setting and i ran 15.3 with my sohc engine at the track...with street tires
Old 07-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He's talking about a JDM D15B, and he did a swap.

You mean no power. The B8 is an 8 valve boat anchor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my bad, missed the JDM, lost of people say d15b not realizing it is a different motor.

True true bout the b8. one of my friend blew his b7, and found a b8 somewhere, and that **** was the slowest thing i've ever ridden in, i think i pedaled my bicycle faster.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM

Default Re: lagging d15b (austinkli)

what would retarding your timing give u more power? im pretty sure its the other way around
Old 07-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lagging d15b (whereiscarmensandiego)

thanks for the replies, and yes I am pretty knowledgable, I just couldn't think of any other way to ask the question I asked. I couldn't check my timing for the longest time due to a bouncing idle (long story), but i fixed and and checked it yesterday, its a little on the advanced side and i cant retard it anymore, so i guess ill try to retard it via my adjustable cam gear here in a bit and give that a whirl.

and for everyone's info JDM d15b is a SOHC VTEC motor, comparable to the USDM D16z6 and the JDM d16a motors. I picked it up from nippon motors, who sell the z6 for $200 more than the d15b and from what I've read, everyone loves their d15b.

And I'm not a ricer or a racer even for that matter. I was just giving a comparative example, because I know my car should be a little faster and some info would be great and that's what I'm here for.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You mean no power. The B8 is an 8 valve boat anchor.</TD></TR></TABLE>
hahahaha soooo dam true...

so did u fix your problem?
Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lagging d15b (whitericethinktwice)

yeah, i bought more mods
Old 11-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what mod would you say was your best investment? i got the same motor and im going in the same direction as u
Old 11-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I suggest to you quit trying to race your heavy del sol. I also recommend your relocate your IAT sensor to your intake piping or rubber coupling. It made a world of difference on my d15b. Also use some royal purple that made a huge difference in how much power i made through 6-7k.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95vxtealhatch)

Originally Posted by 95vxtealhatch
I suggest to you quit trying to race your heavy del sol. I also recommend your relocate your IAT sensor to your intake piping or rubber coupling. It made a world of difference on my d15b. Also use some royal purple that made a huge difference in how much power i made through 6-7k.
dude quit talkin ****, and giving retarded advice... re-routing your IAT and switching to royal purple will for sure add mad crazy power

Originally Posted by whitericethinktwice
what mod would you say was your best investment? i got the same motor and im going in the same direction as u
mods that i did that made a noticeable difference were my crower cam, my blox IM, and my chip actually helped out a lot. im really just trying to save the little money I'm making and putting it toward a nice turbo setup.

95vxtealhatch:And my del sol isn't that heavy, I've done pretty extensive weight reduction, but I guess my 2400lb del sol (stock weight) weighs more than a 2900+lb ford ranger (stock weight), huh?