Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lacking power at low RPM!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lacking power at low RPM!

well one my buddies car recently is have this problem. Its real sluggish at low RPM until it reaches 5000rpm then it drives normally. if you guys have any input i will appreciate it thanx in advance.

his car was driving really good he says he changed his oil and this happened. he used castrol synthetic 5-30. his car is a EK with a b16b
Old 02-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (Manny_Fresh)

stay away of castrol with Honda...

and the problem is with clogged filter...don't use the aftzermarket, use only Honda or sport panel filters like: BMC, K&N, etc.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (KLiK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KLiK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stay away of castrol with Honda...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

How did you arrive at this conclusion? dont hit me with Honda says use their oil. Whats wrong with castrol?

Old 02-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (Andres-eh2)

the Castrol uses aditives that filter the oil...the small tiny bits of the oil & stuff gets in the small holes and erodes them...especially the VTECs, 'cause they have the VTEC rail, and then the rocker arm has some wear and start to make sounds from the engine...
the Honda wants their oil filter to get all the stuf from the oil and fill in the oil pan...

anyway, don't use castrol...

use mobil1 or sthg else on the market! and the parts must be like new, when you open the deck of the head on the engine...not black - bad oil!!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KLiK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stay away of castrol with Honda...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really.... I alway use castrol GTX crap on my vx. never had a problem.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (kaiba)

is it bogging or sumthing??
Old 02-14-2007, 08:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Manny_Fresh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well one my buddies car recently is have this problem. Its real sluggish at low RPM until it reaches 5000rpm then it drives normally. if you guys have any input i will appreciate it thanx in advance.

his car was driving really good he says he changed his oil and this happened. he used castrol synthetic 5-30. his car is a EK with a b16b</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also have a b16b...and there really isn't much there until about 5k...but tell him to change his oil again to something else and see if the problem persists...did he change types and weight in oil from the last oil change? I know my cars have always had an adverse reaction to changing from oil to synthetic or 5-30 to 5-40 or mobile to motuel...maybe that is it
Old 02-14-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (B16b-EJ8)

Wow, simply wow.

No low end? You drive a 1.6, welcome to hondas.

Castrol wrecking peoples motors, definately a new one in my book. I'd like to see some evidence for that one. I've got a D series with over 100K on the clock that has been boosted for over 30K miles at 10 pounds of boost and has run CASTROL GTX it's whole life, and guess what, it runs great.

Now if you guys feel your b16b's still suck then start checking basic maintenance issues, like plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filters, stuff like that.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (B16b-EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KLiK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stay away of castrol with Honda...

and the problem is with clogged filter...don't use the aftzermarket, use only Honda or sport panel filters like: BMC, K&N, etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>

air filter? disagree. but who cares thats only 2whp.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFantasy2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, simply wow.

No low end? You drive a 1.6, welcome to hondas.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

amen, i too have a b16b, it dosent pull till 6000rpm when the vtec crosses. thats normal. typical short stroke small displament motor.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:03 AM

the problem is that your car is a civic!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (Felliph3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Felliph3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the problem is that your car is a civic!</TD></TR></TABLE>indeed indeed..if u want low prm power than get a stroker engine like a...454 big block out of a chevy...unfortunetly our little motors must rev very high in order to apply power to the ground. the only replacement for displacement is AIRFLOW!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (raphael)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Felliph3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the problem is that your car is a civic!</TD></TR></TABLE>

dumbest thing i ever heard, the car has nothing to do with tq output, its the freakin engine, stuff an H22 or a k24 in there, problem solved.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
air filter? disagree. but who cares thats only 2whp.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's not about the 2HP...
it's about this: aftermarket filters for Honda are crap, compared to Honda filter...and Honda filter is too expensive if you compare it to sport panel filter for 30$!!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (kaiba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Really.... I alway use castrol GTX crap on my vx. never had a problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you don't belive me, ask the mechanics who servises Honda...

or open the deck on your engine head...and see if everything is as black as i said it is?!
Old 02-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KLiK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's not about the 2HP...
it's about this: aftermarket filters for Honda are crap, compared to Honda filter...and Honda filter is too expensive if you compare it to sport panel filter for 30$!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

K&N is crap? ARC, AEM, INJEN, RS akimoto, all crap? is that what your saying? i know theres a lot of crappy ones but there are a few good ones aswell.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a b16b as well... there is no pull what-so-ever until about 5000 or 6000, thats the sacrifice we are making for good milage. haha
Old 02-14-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The honda dealership by my place uses castrol on all their oil changes. I doubt theres anything wrong with castrol oil...
Old 02-14-2007, 10:27 AM

did you mess with the distributor? could be the timing if you did
Old 02-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (blinx9900)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blinx9900 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
K&N is crap? ARC, AEM, INJEN, RS akimoto, all crap? is that what your saying? i know theres a lot of crappy ones but there are a few good ones aswell.</TD></TR></TABLE>

didn't get me...sorry for bad english!

don't get some XYZ aftermarket part for air filter like: Bosch, Mann or whatever

get K&N, ARC, AEM, Injen, etc....any of the sport panel filters!!
those are even better than Hondas and with right usage it will make 1mil miles...(Honda filters only make up to 20k miles and you have to get new one!)
Old 02-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my dad's car also did that when it had a few bent valves....
Old 02-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KnightX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KnightX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my dad's car also did that when it had a few bent valves.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

ran fine at high rpms but not low? how does that make sense?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have no idea... he has a D15B in his car.. and one day he was drivin and the car just shut up and didnt start back up.. so he keep tryin to crank it... didnt start... so he towed it to my dealer and found out that his t-belt snaped when he was drivin.. and when he try to start the car 1234872314 times he bent alot of valves... he changed the t-belt and never got around to changin the valves.. and his car would run like **** untill v-tec kicks in.. it was weird... its like b4 he hits v-tec the car is dragin on a 10wheeler but once he hits v-tec the car ran like it should... its weird...
Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahah lo felipe beat me to it
Old 02-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lacking power at low RPM! (JoEx110)

i dont think he messed around with the dizzle. I did the swap on his EK and everything ran good then he changed his oil. i used Valvoline synthetic 5-30 then he used castrol synthetic same weight though. his car ran way better when i finished his car but now it sux *** on low rpm till 5grand then that **** picks up but do you guys really think it could really be the oil????

Modified by Manny_Fresh at 3:26 PM 2/14/2007
Old 02-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly it has nothin to do with the oil....check your ignition coil.....has to be somethin with your dizzy man.......how new is your dizzy????

Quick Reply: lacking power at low RPM!