Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

KYB GR-2???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB GR-2???

Hey I am looking for some new shocks for my 1995 CX and I found these KYB's GR-2's online for fairly cheap. Im not looking for any type of Auto-X or anything really great just something for a daily driver.

I was just wondering if anyone had these and what they thought of them. I plan on using them with stock springs for now and then maybe some S-techs or Neuspeed race springs later.
Thanks for any help
Old 08-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: KYB GR-2??? (XoUnKoWnXo)

Please next time try our search function - there are a ton of KYB and Tein S-Tech topics, including my own.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=723510

Taken from my topic:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Props to ProStreet and Alex for the awesome service and price! Support H-T Sponsors!

I ordered some Tein S-Tech springs a while back and was waiting for the fundage for some good strits to pair them with. I got the money up for some KYB GR-2 struts, so I purchased them and installed them yesterday at my house.

I work at a shop, so I used the spring compressor and some extra 1990 Civic strut tops, bump stops, washers, etc. so the install at home would be 100% pain free and an "in and out" swap of sorts.

Of course I took some pics. These pics are more of the overall shots. I am going to put together a comprehensive "how-to" install topic once I snap some very detailed shots of the dissassembly and reassembly of the struts and springs since that's one of the most confusing parts for many people.

These pics are automatically downsized by Imagestation, which means that there is some quality/clarity loss so I apologize. I'd host them on We-Todd, but it's down yet again.

Enjoy the random shots

Tools:

The goods:

Sometimes you need a little help. It's also nice when your help is taking pics while you work.

Front set-up installed:

Rear installed:

Before:

After:

Front gap:

Rear gap:

Remember that those are 185-60-14 wheels/tires. I'd imagine that there would be a bit less gap with some nice aftermarket 15x6.5 or 15x7 wheels with a nice +40 or +38 offset with some 195-50-15 tires. I wasn't after a slammed set-up, so for me it is perfect.

Let me say that the Tein S-Tech/KYB GR-2 combo rides AWESOME. It's almost like a stock ride. No bounce whatsoever, and not too stiff. Seems like body roll has been cut down a bit, but I'm not 100% sure because I'm not pushing the car until I align it tomorrow.

Cruising around town, the suspension soaks up bumps and inconsistencies in the road better than my old 190K stock set-up.

The Tein S-Techs can be had for about $140.00 and have a 1 year warranty against over 5mm of sag, and the KYB GR-2 struts have a full lifetime warranty for the original purchaser on the original vehicle as long as there are no tooling marks or scratches on the strut piston surface or outward signs of abuse or incorrect installation. the KYBs can be had at or just under $200.00 if you look around.

So for around $340.00 I've got a nice even 1.5'' drop that rides as good or even better than stock in terms of comfort, and with progressive rates the suspension can firm up when you need it.

Look for that total "how-to" topic coming soon.

Thoughts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-01-2004, 10:00 AM

Default Re: KYB GR-2??? (B18C5-EH2)

Thanks alot. I can do this setup or I can do a Tokico HP shock and spring package. Which do you guys think would give me a better ride? My old suspension is toast because it rubs even on small bumps with 15's
Old 08-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My review won't be as thorough as B18C5-EH2's, but I can back him up (not that he isn't reputable )

Anyway, I have the GR-2/Neuspeed sport combo on my daily-driven 92 CX and it's nice. It's only "sporty"--far from aggressive. I wasn't looking for a stiff ride for my long daily commute. I also wasn't looking to get a setup that was more expensive than the car itself.

Compared to my koni yellow/neuspeed sofsport/ST Speedtech rear sway-equipped 99 Si, the KYB/Neuspeed combo is soft. It IS, however a night and day difference from stock. Still very fun on offramps. I can outdrive much more expensive cars on the offramps/onramps in my POS CX.

Here's a pic:

Honda-Tech's version of stock

hth
Old 08-01-2004, 10:13 AM
Former Moderator

I hate Tokico stuff. Every Tokico strut package I've ridden on was just too damn soft.

The KYB GR-2 carries a lifetime warranty so long as you don't damage them while installing them.

I just turned some KYB GR-2 struts that were over THREE years old in for some brand new ones for FREE because of that warranty. The ones I turned in simply wore out due to age and mileage.

I just installed the new ones and they ride pretty damn good with the custom Eibach coil-over springs I threw in at the same time.

I love the ride with the KYB/Tein combo the most though in terms of smoothness. They stiffen up enough in the turns, but they ride almost like stock (minus the squish) at other times.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: KYB GR-2??? (gamby)

Oh BTW:

I have another car with a really stiff-*** suspension set-up just as gamby does.

The really stiff suspension handles awesome, but I love the ride of the KYB/Tein combo more so in so many ways because it's just damn comfy.

Hitting road joints on the interstate in my 425F 550R Eibach spring/Koni Yellow combo is kind of spine compressing, while the Tein S-Tech/KYB combo is so smooth.

Anyways if you don't mind the minimal ride height change of the Tein S-Techs then I'd say go for it! You'll love the ride!
Old 08-01-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Re: KYB GR-2??? (B18C5-EH2)

I'm totally sold on this setup now. Just as soon as I scrape together the cash I will be sure to purchase this package!
Old 08-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got them on my Sol, they are excellenté