Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

KYB AGX's...How low for How long???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB AGX's...How low for How long???

I'm ready to buy some new shocks come sunday or monday...and I want to know how long my AGX's are goin to last...roughly. I drive hard all the time, or almost all the time. I like driving the mtn roads, so these shocks will see some abuse. I'm dropped about 2.5" and may drop it more when I get the new shocks or some new rims and tires. I plan on getting the GC Top Mounts within a year...so that should help me out some. I wanna know how low you are and how long you have had it dropped. Also tell me what car you have them in too please.

I'm rollin in a 93 Civic EX coupe...with GC Limited Edition Integra coilovers...so the extra spring rates should help out a little.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KYB AGX's...How low for How long??? (H23 EG Hybrid)

i had my car at like 4.5 inch for about 1 to year and a half they still kick ***
Old 11-14-2003, 01:20 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the gc upper mounts at the same time you get the shocks,

if you wait a year, that will be a year too late.
you can run the shocks lower than 2.5" but you will bottom out,
and it will hurt the life of the shock,

I ran at like 3" for about a year, before gaining more travel,
but now the damping on my rear shocks is practically the same on all settings,
i have it on 4 and its probly about as good as 2
fronts are doing better, but probly not as good as when they were new.

if its money your worried about, have benen industries modify your strut mounts,
they charge 10bux each and perform better than the gc's because benen gives you as much travel as you can get without causing problems(he uses his brain and custom makes the mounts, instead of just making it .75" for all applications).
they arent as pretty though.

agx are a good shock, but you gotta take care of em right.

note: bottoming out will ruin ANY shock, be it tokico blues, agxs, or koni yellows.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: KYB AGX's...How low for How long??? (Tad)

ive been dropped 2.5 on my agx since may, but i drive all over so its really been like 18 or 19 thousand miles. they are holdin up fine.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KYB AGX's...How low for How long??? (blackeg)

1995 coupe with Skunk2 coilovers and KYB AGX's front at 2.75" and rear at 2.5" and still feel like brand new after 1 1/2 years.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if its money your worried about, have benen industries modify your strut mounts,
they charge 10bux each and perform better than the gc's because benen gives you as much travel as you can get without causing problems(he uses his brain and custom makes the mounts, instead of just making it .75" for all applications).
they arent as pretty though.

agx are a good shock, but you gotta take care of em right.

note: bottoming out will ruin ANY shock, be it tokico blues, agxs, or koni yellows.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats the turn around time for the Benen mounts?

Thnx for all the replies so far...it's lookin good so far from what I hear...just can't drop them more until I get the mounts.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H23 EG Hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

whats the turn around time for the Benen mounts?

Thnx for all the replies so far...it's lookin good so far from what I hear...just can't drop them more until I get the mounts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude your in san jose?? benen is in san carlos!
should only take him 1to2days TOPS to do em, possibly even overnight(if u drop em off in the morning, get em back the next morning).

definetely, screw the gc mounts if benen is right next door

ask him about other tweaks to get more travel,
he did the works on my agx's.. and now I have too much travel!! my wheel hits the fenderwell before I bottom out!! haha(well thats mostly just cuz i'm borrowing my friends tires and they're way too big and i'm way too low, haha).
Old 11-14-2003, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

screw paying some one to do it, here is a how to,

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=469485
Old 11-14-2003, 01:43 PM

Umm...97 civic cx, Neuspeed race springs (f 2.25 - r 2), I've had them for about 4 months and i put roughly 150 miles on them everyday (commuting sucks) and they are holding up just great.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: KYB AGX's...How low for How long??? (-743-)

not everyone knows how to weld.

and for 10 bux.. id rather pay someone who knows what they're doing(and more) to do it anyways.

neuspeed race springs shoudl be fine with agx's and no special strut mounts.
Old 11-14-2003, 01:53 PM

my girls hatch got h&r race with the agx's... we just installed them 1 month ago, so i can't really answer your ???. But looking thru previous agx posts, alot of people are lower than 2" and their agx's are still holding up fine.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:01 PM

I never will go back to KYB AGX's, Car= Integra 4 dr. I had the 5 way adjustables with weapon r coilovers and a 2.5 inch drop in the back and 3.0 in the front.
I don't care what setting you have it on. It gave me a good ride for 1/2 a year then you can start to feel the shocks giving out.
So now I stick with Complete Coilovers systems. I bought DTM coilovers when they just came out, mention on SpeedOptions. Those things give you the feel of the road and your car. Great coilover and spring rate.
I just purchased the Nex Coilover system. Waiting for those to get in for my 95 Civic Coupe. These have no bottoming out. Should last awhile. I dont know what the spring rate is though.
If you have cash save it for the ggod stuff.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not everyone knows how to weld.

and for 10 bux.. id rather pay someone who knows what they're doing(and more) to do it anyways.

neuspeed race springs shoudl be fine with agx's and no special strut mounts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah...I don't have a welding torch...would like to get one though. So that DIY is kinda outta the question. And for $40...I'll spend the money. I sent Benen an e-mail...hopefully the reply back soon for how long they keep my mounts. And now that you told me about them doin the mounts...my friend wishes he had know before he installed his Illuminas the other night....cause he would have gone down and had them make him custom mounts. His Integra is pretty slammed...(3-4 inchs off the ground).

If I have those mounts...can they still get me for being lowered past the warrenty?...or would it just be for the travel distance? Kinda curious if they can tell the difference.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the top one really only gives you travel distance but if you do the second one it will drop you lower at the same setting, and you can look into geting shocks for 88 EF i think hatch cause they are shorter then the EG's and will work the same im almost positive on this
Old 11-14-2003, 11:51 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H23 EG Hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If I have those mounts...can they still get me for being lowered past the warrenty?...or would it just be for the travel distance? Kinda curious if they can tell the difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldnt hold out for an email reply,
call them up, that'll get you an immediate reply.

and yes, if you were at 2.5" drop and you had a 1" extended strut mount
then it would be as if the shock was onlylowered 1.5" so warranty would be fine.

its alla bout suspension travel, if the guts of the shock only see a 1.5" drop,
then thats all that matters, reguardless of your actual ride height.

I wouldnt hold out too much hope for warranty repairs though,
if your shock blows within 3 years, or 1.5 years, or however long that warranty is,
chances are it'd be from bottoming out.. so if your not bottoming out.. your shock wont blow anyways so the warranty is pointless.